Living with the black death on a CDi

BigAlMercMan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 S211 E270 CDi Elegance
Probably 20k miles ago with about 200k on the clock I found the black death and cleaned off the offending crust, it wasn't long before there was 3 of 5 leaking.

So I did my research and teased the stretch bolts out, cleaned up the clamps, threads and holes then put it all back. Next step is to warm the engine up and pull the injectors.

I've warmed it up a few times on test drives and the injectors look stuck fast, not got the engine proper hot yet or given a proper bash with my new slide hammer but I can't see them moving.

I've got new bolts and washers and I'm YouTube qualified but us it worth the risk?

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
If you are competent and the cars not running right then go for it if you want to keep the car, 200k is a good innings

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
The slide hammer type puller works very well on the 270, when he engine is nice and hot.

If that doesn’t work, there is another type of puller, but it needs partial dismantling of the injector as it uses an internal thread profile to push against.

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
id take this to a professional pal , its not that costly to have done these days AND you will have some come back if the job goes south

OP
B

BigAlMercMan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The drives OK but egr issues and a leaking air intake I've found and sorted recently could be related.

I've been a planning the job for ages and I'll be in no rush once they're out so I've got no worries doing the job.

I'll probably only do 20k over the next couple of years then get a new one and there is always a risk whoever takes the job on.

OP
B

BigAlMercMan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Did a 70 mile round trip commute this week. Examined when I got back and no sign of any leakage, I reckon all the carb cleaner I soaked in there has virtually welded the buggers in.

Think I'll be leaving them alone.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Usually comes out with a few knocks with the slide hammer. Injectors are probably past their best at that mileage so you have nothing to lose.
+1, the slide hammer usually destroys them, so have a set ready.

OP
B

BigAlMercMan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for your input chaps. Made me think twice about just knocking out the three and putting them back in after a clean up. Better to plan to take the motor off the road for a bit and take all 5 out and send them off for a refurb.

I'm keen to do a similar thing with the turbo actuator on the CLS so I think I'll get onto that and just keep any eye on them.for a while.

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for your input chaps. Made me think twice about just knocking out the three and putting them back in after a clean up. Better to plan to take the motor off the road for a bit and take all 5 out and send them off for a refurb.

I'm keen to do a similar thing with the turbo actuator on the CLS so I think I'll get onto that and just keep any eye on them.for a while.
if you use a company called turbo vanes for the actuator supplier , they send you a refurbed one which you can fit in an hour and then send your old one back , superb service , next day delivery , did a GL320 for a customer this morning , as for the injectors , its the refitting of them that's the biggest problem imo

OP
B

BigAlMercMan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks, I'll have a look at them but i like the idea of keeping the original parts on the car, I think it reduces any chance of trouble. Covid has given me the time I wouldn't have previously had.

Regards refitting my research tells me me it's about having the confidence to put that extra rotation on after the initial torque. Doing the job myself I think I can afford to be cautious, monitor and tweek if needed.

Last edited:

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks, I'll have a look at them but i like the idea of keeping the original parts on the car, I think it reduces any chance of trouble. Covid has given me the time I wouldn't had previously had.

Regards refitting my research tells me me it's about having the confidence to put that extra rotation on after the initial torque. Doing the job myself I think I can afford to be cautious, monitor and tweek if needed.
they are genuine parts pal , refurbed hella units which is what they come with , MB will want to fit the whole turbo & actuator

Top Bottom