Looking to buy a CLK

joldfield

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm hoping to buy a 1998-2000 CLK. I've read a few reviews and I am interested in the 230K and the 320 in auto geabox form. I currently drive a 323 coupe (BMW) and I am looking for something a bit more classy.

There are two examples that have caught my attention in the local area, a green 230K with 60K miles for £12K and a 1998 silver 320 with 90K miles for £9K. I am drawn towards the 320 because I currently own and love a 6-cylinder car but I wouldn't discount a lower mileage 230.

Some reports say that the 230 can be a bit loud under load. Is this true and what do they mean? Also, would a 320 with 90K still be a good bet considering the lower cost? Are they all tiptronic? Are the Parker's guide specs fairly true?

Any help, suggestions or answers to the above would be appreciated.

Regards,
J Oldfield

pascal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl320/1999/3.2
323 coupe. Was that the 2.5 (170odd bhp) that was detuned so as not to be too much competition for the 328.

Clk 320 is a different class altogether. 230k is ok, but if you can get the vee-sixer for near enough the same money, yes buy one.

Regarding Autoboxes, I think the 5spd auto was standard on the 320, and tip was an extra. Some members may say that that tip box was troublesome, but to be honest i've only heard of a handfull of such occurences. I think the ordinary 5sp and the 320 are a good match.

I had the pleasure of one for a few days back in 99. The only thing I disliked was the rear view. A relative of mine has one for about 5 years with no problems. Also, chances are the 320 will have a better spec than the 230k, and the mpg are not far apart, favouring the 230k.

Why not consider the 430. Very fast.

OP
J

joldfield

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Yes the 323 is the detuned one. To be honest it has been absolutely awesome in terms of its reliability, drive etc. I get 30mpg average and have got 38mpg on a long run from Scotland. Its done 130K now and, although its as smooth as anything, I want more toys in a car and I think the CLK looks awesome in comparison. Its time for a change.

The 320 does sound good, however I am a realist and the running costs worry me. I am after something to waft about in, I just don't want something that turns out to be a bit gruff (no offense intended to 4-cylinder car owners).

There is a local car for sale that has got my attention, a 1998 green 230K:

1998 S Reg MERCEDES-BENZ CLK 230 SPORT KOMPRESSOR
2 Doors, Saloon, Petrol, 65,000 miles, Green. Airbag, Central Doorlocking with remote, electric factory sunroof, Front Electric Windows, Immobilizer, Power-Assisted Steering, Service History, Stereo, Warranty, ABS, Air conditioning, Alloy wheels, Climate Control, Colour coding - Body, Cruise control, Electric mirrors, Foglights, Leather upholstery. Electric Seats, Rear head rest, Park Tronics, 6 Stack C.D. Player, Fitted Mercedes mats.

He wants £11K for it so not sure how that fairs with parkers but it isn't bad in terms of a national autotrader search.

So my main fear is that the sport is bottom of the range, nasty ride, gruff engine under load. If the engine is nice and quiet at the best of times and the car won't rattle my teeth out then i would be very happy.

Regards,
J Oldfield

pascal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl320/1999/3.2
Brother had 325 coupe (02). He reckoned it was an animal on juice. (20 around town, high 20 on long run). My Sl320 is the same engine as CLK320, and is easier on petrol that my last two mbs (230E & 300CE).

Regarding the spec you gave; bar 3/4 everything else is standard. It also sounds very expensive to me. Parkers etc are usually over priced also.

Do a search on autotrader. You will be able to discount a lot before you even pick up the phone, and lots more by just phoning. But you can be sure that there are plenty of good ones out there. There are reputable independants and even try MBs used car program, via their web site.

PS: I got 32ish mpg on a recent long journey

OP
J

joldfield

Reaction score
I think the 325 had a less restricted engine so would probably drink more juice.

Okay so the green merc isn't the best then. I can appreciate this as it doesn't have a passenger airbag so it must be fairly base model.

I am not sure why you consider it to be expensive as I have compared it nationally on autotrader and it isn't too bad. I found 1 on the official merc website that looks nice. The following caught my eye as being a bit better, perhaps you could cast your eyes over this one?

1999 T Reg MERCEDES-BENZ CLK 320 Coupe Sport
Automatic, 57,000 miles, Azurite Blue with Grey leather. ABS, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Air conditioning, Alloy wheels, Central locking, Cruise control, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Foglights, Front armrest, Full service history, Head restraints, Leather upholstery, Power assisted steering, Radio, Tinted glass, CD Multichanger, Electric sunroof, Passenger airbag, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Seats with Memory. Cars and Motorcycles welcome in part exchange.12 months Nationwide Warranty.Newly expanded workshop,we can now service and MOT your Mercedes Benz. £10,995.

cjcor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220CDI
Interesting comparisons on petrol consumption...

Over the years I have had the 530iSE, Z3 2.2i and now a C240 - with my regular driving pattern the C240 is a good 3mpg off the long term average on the previous cars. I now drive much slower (the Beemers really encouraged spirited driving - no wonder the image of BMW drivers), and yet the consumption is much, much worse off.

What is very interesting was how economical the 530i was, yet it could outrun 95% of cars on the road - I totally regret selling that car.

cjcor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220CDI
One more thing - avoid the 230k and the 200k - the supercharged engines are not in tune with the rest of the car (CLK).

pascal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl320/1999/3.2
Its funny you mention that cjcor.

The 240 is only about 1-2 mpg better off than the much more powerful 320. Both engine are modular (112) as was the 500 V8.

OP
J

joldfield

Reaction score
I think I understand what you are saying about those engines not being in tune with the car. I would never buy a beema unless it had a straight 6, otherwise what is the point (IMHO)? That said, I need some reassurance regarding the maintanence and servicing of a 320.

For example, my 2.5 lump has a service indicator so depending on how you drive and the sort of journeys you do, you can expect to require a service every 9,000-20,000 miles. Service runs in a cycle, Oil, Inspection 1, Oil, Inspection 2, Oil, Inspection 1 etc. There is nothing major like a cam-belt on my engine.

So in comparison, are there any service nasties I should be aware of for either a 230K or a 320? For example, spark plugs changed at 50K or something?

Thanks again for your continued support on this, I look forward to joining you all as a proud merc driver.

pascal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl320/1999/3.2
Service costs depend on whether you go to a main dealer or indie.

The service items are similar to B**s (MBs don't have timing belts). It also has service indicater, A,B,A,B.......... and it measures oil quality, driving style, time, miles etc. to determine when service is required.

It does have 12 plugs, but they should be good for over 50k.

Regarding B**s inline sixes. I'm not sure how long they will stay with inline. V sixes are more compact, more economical, cleaner, and if included in a modular range, cheaper to produce.

BTW J, did you have a good look on Autotrader?

OP
J

joldfield

Reaction score
Yeah had a good look on autotrader, there are lots of 320's and 230K's to choose from within 50 miles, ranging from £8995 for a 90K miler to ££££££££. I am frankly willing to spend £11K so I may have to make comprimises. The last example above (blue one) does interest me, I just need to speak to my insurance because they may insist on a tracker and I don't know how much they cost to have installed and run.

I just want auto-box, cruise control, climate, sunroof would be lovely, leather a must and low mileage if possible. There is no rush so I am quite excited really.

Based on my experience, the straight six i've got (albeit restricted) is the fastest yet most economical engine i believe i will ever own, I think 38mpg on a long run is amazing for a 1.5 tonne car that does 0-60 <8 seconds (on paper). It sounds rather good too at 6000 rpm but can be a bit ropey in the morning due to hydraulic lifters that can leak down oil over night.

cjcor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220CDI
cjcor said:
pascal said:
Regarding B**s inline sixes. I'm not sure how long they will stay with inline. V sixes are more compact, more economical, cleaner, and if included in a modular range, cheaper to produce.

Are you saying this with experience or otherwise?
Having owned both marques, without a shadow of a doubt BMW straight sixes are miles ahead of Merc V6s both in terms of consumption and performance.

Cleaner? On what basis? Have a look at the CO2 emissions and judge for yourself.

Yes, I am sure V6s are cheaper to produce and more compact.

Last edited:

cjcor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220CDI
joldfield said:
I think I understand what you are saying about those engines not being in tune with the car. I would never buy a beema unless it had a straight 6, otherwise what is the point (IMHO)? That said, I need some reassurance regarding the maintanence and servicing of a 320.

I think you misunderstood me, I said don't buy a CLK sans a 6 cylinder engine.

pascal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl320/1999/3.2
cj said:
Having owned both marques, without a shadow of a doubt BMW straight sixes are miles ahead of Merc V6s both in terms of consumption and performance.
Never owned the B**, but drove the 02 325 regularly. Also, best friend had a 92 325 coupe, which i thought was a better in some respects. My last MB was an inline 300 coupe MB. With respect the MB 320 is far more powerful (about 60 hp) than the 240.

Anyway back to Js question. I think that cj says V6, and I also. Although the V8 at the right money .......... ?

OP
J

joldfield

Reaction score
I think a 3.2 V6 will be a nice car. Thanks for your advice guys, I'll let you know how I get on.

Toyboy

Reaction score
cjcor said:
I think you misunderstood me, I said don't buy a CLK sans a 6 cylinder engine.

What's a CLK sans a 6 cylinder engine ?

Brett

Reaction score
I ran a CLK230 Kompressor for two and a half trouble free years. Yeah it didn't sound the part, but it was quick enough and very responsive with the supercharger. I thoroughly enjoyed that car. The 320 sounds nicer and is a little more powerful IIRC.

For me, buy the lowest mileage/highest spec one you can afford whether it is the 230 or the 320 and enjoy it. My old CLK brings back very fond memories - I met my future wife when I had it (aaaah). For future resale though, the standard "must haves" apply i.e. leather, auto, metallic paint, FSH as a minimum. Nice to haves are Parktronic and COMAND. Anything else is a bonus IMHO, and I wouldn't pay extra for them.

Brett

Reaction score
I've just done a deal on a 03 W208 CLK 320 Cabriolet Final Edition with 31k on the clock for £23.5k - get it on Wednesday :D

Top Bottom