Loosening of wheel bolts

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
On the way home from work tonight, I felt a horrible vibration and noise in the CLS. Slowed down and pulled over to check what was going on. I noticed 1 wheel bolt was missing and the other 4 were loose on 1 wheel (passengers side rear).

wheels were changed over from winters about 3 or 4 weeks ago by me and they were correctly torqued. I am normally pretty anal when it comes to these things and torque in a star pattern then go round them all again to check. all other wheel bolts are fine and I have rechecked the torque with a different TW but nothing else loose. I don’t use locking bolts as I have seen too many horror stories about people being unable to get them off again.

has anyone seen something like this before??

i think I will check them all again once a week.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
On the way home from work tonight, I felt a horrible vibration and noise in the CLS. Slowed down and pulled over to check what was going on. I noticed 1 wheel bolt was missing and the other 4 were loose on 1 wheel (passengers side rear).

wheels were changed over from winters about 3 or 4 weeks ago by me and they were correctly torqued. I am normally pretty anal when it comes to these things and torque in a star pattern then go round them all again to check. all other wheel bolts are fine and I have rechecked the torque with a different TW but nothing else loose. I don’t use locking bolts as I have seen too many horror stories about people being unable to get them off again.

has anyone seen something like this before??

i think I will check them all again once a week.
Maybe you simply forgot that wheel . If you are over 50 like me , stuff sometimes slips ? No offence intended obviously, but if it’s just on one wheel ?
Just another thought , is the brake or foot brake sticking on that wheel ? Hot and cold expansion loosening bolts ?

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Check your torque wrench calibration, an old wrench did the same to me.

OP
M

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
Checked with brand new TW (different to the original), just the 1 wheel. I have done about 600 miles since change over and absolutely no indication of any problems before today.

At the end of driving all wheels are similar temp.

Odd that it was just 1 wheel. I generally do run round with a wheel brace after a week or so to see if anything loose but can’t remember doing it this time.

Not over 50 but close enough.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Checked with brand new TW (different to the original), just the 1 wheel. I have done about 600 miles since change over and absolutely no indication of any problems before today.

At the end of driving all wheels are similar temp.

Odd that it was just 1 wheel. I generally do run round with a wheel brace after a week or so to see if anything loose but can’t remember doing it this time.

Not over 50 but close enough.
Was the wheel not sitting fully home when you bolted it up?
If it’s not and you then torque it up on the ground then they’ll still be loose.

I saw a VW in Dewsbury yesterday with its front wheel flapping around all over the place. Driver completely unaware :oops:

OP
M

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
normally run them in with low setting on drill first before dropping the car to torque on the ground. Again still surprised at +/-600 miles with no issues.

davidwilson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W209 CLK 320 convertible
I did it once - on a Triumph Herald, would you believe - (studs from the back of the hub, with nuts on the front.) Noticed a bit of vibration, then a bang as I went round a corner, followed by me thinking "that wheel that just rolled past looks just like mine...."
Passing chap took pity on me, and - top tip - undid one nut on each of the other wheels, took its stud out, then fitted 3 studs & nuts to the offending wheel. 4 wheels back on my wagon.
Looking at the studs we'd taken out - each one was elongated and waisted. So were most of the others. Some kind garage had used their pneumatic spanner and wildly overtightened each one. Had to replace all the studs.

Woodleigh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S213 - AMG E 53 - 4MATIC - Premium Plus - Night Edition - Mild Hybrid Estate.
Maybe the wheel was a refurb and there was paint on the rim centre bore which would give you an interference fit on the hub spigot.
If this was the case and you torqued the wheel bolts to say 130NM then there is no guarantee the wheel face would be sitting flush with the hub face.

As mentioned previously you should always re-torque the bolts after driving the car for 50 to 100 miles.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
I tighten mine with coppers slip on threads and my 700 long knuckle bar , never had issue
Last time I home French version of. Quick fit put 4 tyres on and wrecked 4 of my wheel bolt heads, found out at premises while on knuckle bar checking they were tight. Could not get key socket on 4 bolts without hammer. Needless to say they denied any involvement. Never going back.

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Having wheels refurbed can be a source of problems. I had my 968 cab wheels refurbed, they left the car on the ramp so I could confirm the required torque then did the bolts up with a torque wrench. Next time I had to take a wheel off it needed a club hammer, 4x2 and BF&BI as the re-paint had reduced the ID of the centre big hole, took a dremmel and wire wheel to get the ID OK!

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
I tighten mine with coppers slip on threads and my 700 long knuckle bar , never had issue
Last time I home French version of. Quick fit put 4 tyres on and wrecked 4 of my wheel bolt heads, found out at premises while on knuckle bar checking they were tight. Could not get key socket on 4 bolts without hammer. Needless to say they denied any involvement. Never going back.
All the same those places, I always watch tyre fittere like a hawk and when they go for the air gun to do the bolts up a pleasant ahem from me and use the TW usually helps

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220 CDi Sport. 2014 S-Max 2.0TDCi.
>>> If you are over 50 like me , stuff sometimes slips ?

I'm 66 and intend to continue routine servicing plus work on brakes/suspension for a few years yet... hope I don't suffer the over-50 "I forgot to tighten it" quite yet!

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
It’s a bit odd but loosened bolts to some extent is quite a common reality but something that never gets checked as part of routine maintenance. Thanks to the above comments and pointing out deliberate acts! Why would anyone anyone waste their time doing that and it’s sick!! Does t take much to think that could be a family and babies setting off only to have a wheel or two come off of cause an accident.

When I was doing 1,000 miles a week commutes I used to check mine weekly. Over the decade there must have been about a handful of instances where they got nipped up about the 3/4 a turn but it was on all 4 and no difference in the drive. The only thing that was consistent when this happened was lots of high speeds and heat from some serious repeated braking. I’ve needed to nip up on track days also. At none of these times was there any difference in the drive, noise or vibration but rather than just good old fashioned 5 minute checks. My wheels are refurbed and I have several sets but never had any issue due to refurbs if the bolts are done right in the first place and the bolt holes are ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom