Low profile tyres no match for pot holes

White Merc Estate

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class Estate/2017/E220D AMG Line Premium+
Hi there everyone!

It's now got to the point where I'm seriously considering chopping in my E 220 D with 20" wheels and low profile tyres for a Volvo XC60 with 18" wheels and 'ordinary' tyres. My Mercedes is costing me a small fortune in wheels and tyres, what with all the pot holes I keep encountering 'out here in the sticks'!

Here's my question. Can my 20" wheels with low profile tyres be replaced with 18" wheels with ordinary tyres with a bit more rubber on them? Or would this be a costly nightmare because of the brakes and speedo and sat nav and stuff and stuff? Let me have you expert opinions guys, please.

Chris

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Quickest way to check will be to look at the tyre options in your fuel cap, that would indicate the sizes available to fit your car, you can then go for the lowest possible without the worry of anything like Speedo being out of calibration

lewyboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
Hi there everyone!

It's now got to the point where I'm seriously considering chopping in my E 220 D with 20" wheels and low profile tyres for a Volvo XC60 with 18" wheels and 'ordinary' tyres. My Mercedes is costing me a small fortune in wheels and tyres, what with all the pot holes I keep encountering 'out here in the sticks'!

Here's my question. Can my 20" wheels with low profile tyres be replaced with 18" wheels with ordinary tyres with a bit more rubber on them? Or would this be a costly nightmare because of the brakes and speedo and sat nav and stuff and stuff? Let me have you expert opinions guys, please.

Chris
I don't blame you, I am picking up a new XC90 on Thursday, I opted for the smallest wheels, 19" for comfort.

I don't really get big wheels, they don't make the car any faster.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)

No problem

Front wheel 8Jx18 ET43 fitted with 245/45R18 100Y XL
Rear wheel 9Jx18 ET53 fitted with 275/40R18 99Y XL

These sizes will keep everything in tolerance so the speedo etc will all read correctly

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
I don't blame you, I am picking up a new XC90 on Thursday, I opted for the smallest wheels, 19" for comfort.

I don't really get big wheels, they don't make the car any faster.
they look good thats all.

Functionality - no

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I had 17" wheels on my W213 E220d with 225/55 tyres, no issues with wheels cracking or tyre damage. Your brakes might be larger although I'd find someone with 17"'s and see if they'll fit over your calipers - I expect they will and your woes will go away

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
How many wheels and tyres are you getting through? My wife is the best pot hole spotter in the country lol. My son’s E220d on 20in wheels has had 1 cracked wheel in 80k miles so I consider he has done very well but the car sees a lot of motorway and A roads.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Perhaps an en mass refusal to pay road tax, in whatever guise would be the way forward. We sure pay enough for privilege of having tyres, rims wrecked.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Perhaps an en mass refusal to pay road tax, in whatever guise would be the way forward. We sure pay enough for privilege of having tyres, rims wrecked.
Which is one reason it was changed to Vehicle Excise Duty - the exchequer realised how much £££ was coming in and wanted to use it for other things... that and it allowed Toll Roads to be made without the argument that drivers are paying twice for them...

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Wxxxers. Instead solve prob, change rules,

OP
White Merc Estate

White Merc Estate

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class Estate/2017/E220D AMG Line Premium+
Thanks guys, for all your answers, especially JBell.
How many wheels and tyres are you getting through? My wife is the best pot hole spotter in the country lol. My son’s E220d on 20in wheels has had 1 cracked wheel in 80k miles so I consider he has done very well but the car sees a lot of motorway and A roads.
I've lost count! I think it's 2 wheels = c£1,500 and 4 tyres = c£1,300. Plus, I replaced the run flats which were on there when I bought it second-hand = £1,500, so that little lot tots up to £4,300ish. Then there's all the stress, wasted time, breakdown fiascos, I could go on...

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score

I've lost count! I think it's 2 wheels = c£1,500 and 4 tyres = c£1,300. Plus, I replaced the run flats which were on there when I bought it second-hand = £1,500, so that little lot tots up to £4,300ish. Then there's all the stress, wasted time, breakdown fiascos, I could go on...
Not good is it! The wheels will weld successfully but only if the crack is less than 20mm long we have a very good wheel refurbisher near us who welded my son’s 20in wheel and the repair wasn’t visible

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)

Part of the problem is the Run Flats, the side walls are so stiff they send more shock through the wheels

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
The roads are truly awful for all low profile wheels period regardless of size. Anything with lots of side wall, relatively simple and robust suspension is what you need. What used to be pot holes are now craters. The repairs last 2 weeks at best. They are even littering the motorways.

I was doing similar similar but looking at the old Mitsubishi shogun warrior as one pulled up alongside last week, looked like a mini monster truck and in the moment just seemed so right too for our roads and to beat about in with all the blind dim wit idiots on the roads. Seemed like a no brainier, cheaper than a set Wheels/tyres and who cares if someone dinks it, ground clearance, no problem, practicality to be beaten, simple to maintain ….. I was stunned at the price of the legendary Toyota Landcruisers though. Shame the diesels will be forced off off the roads….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lewyboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
they look good thats all.

Functionality - no
I also prefer plain alloys rather than diamond cut.

(I suppose that white 8-spokes are out as well now)?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Ok buddy , but I’ve got the top bunk when the po-po round us up ;)

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
I was doing similar similar but looking at the old Mitsubishi shogun warrior as one pulled up alongside last week, looked like a mini monster truck and in the moment just seemed so right too for our roads and to beat about in with all the blind dim wit idiots on the roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I used to enjoy intimidating everyone with the RR Vogue I had in the late 80's or maybe early 90's. Tow hitch on the back, step-ups on 2" steel tubular framework both sides and proper bull bar on the front. Even London black cabs thought twice about arguing with me in that! Wife was driving it very carefully and slowly one January on icy lane when it did not answer the steering on a LH bend, went across the road into the front OS corner of a Renault 18. Broke one of the bull bar mounting bolts and one of the spotlights, bull bar tipped back a little and put a 20p sized small dent in the bonnet. Renault was a write-off, bonnet crupmled and vertical, radiator back behind where the wheel was supposed to be - front OS wheel near the driver's door, luckily no-one hurt.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom