LPG Conversion on an S280

Templar Al

Reaction score
Website
www.elkingtonlodge.net
Hi all,

I am just about to undertake an LPG conversion on my 1997 S280, and was wondering if anyone else has done a similar job themselves, had it done professionally, or is considering having it done?

I converted a 1994 Rover Sterling a few years ago, when petrol was about 75p per litre and LPG was 28p, and the savings were amazing.

Now that petrol is around the 97p mark and LPG around the Midlands is about 32p I think it still makes sense to do the conversion, and as the S280 is a similar engine size to the Rover, the savings should be about the same.

I will be using the latest BiGas Sequential Injection system, which costs around £500-£600 - and if anyone is interested, I will be documenting everything with photos.

Also, I can supply details of where to get the equipment needed and how to get cheaper LPG in the Midlands, Wales, South and South West of England if anyone is interested.

Regards,
Alan.

Oxmerc

Reaction score
answer

Hi there,

Take a look at the thead I began: Idling and LPG. I wouldn't touch LPG with a bargepole after what I've experienced.

OP
T

Templar Al

Reaction score
Website
www.elkingtonlodge.net
Thanks Oxmerc,

I read your thread, but wasn't able to offer any suggestions that hadn't already been made by others.

This will be my third LPG conversion, the first one was done by a professional installer, who completely screwed it up. What I learned in putting it right myself led me to attempt the 2nd conversion myself.

Admittedly, I had a few problems, but with a bit of help from the Rover Forum and some trial and error, these were easily overcome and the benefits in the long-term, far outweighed any hassle in the beginning.

Is your system sorted now? If not, what problems are you still having?

Regards,
Alan.

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
i had my 1996 s320 professionally converted to LPG with the latest system a few months ago and has been a dream. cost £2k to convert and has had 0 problems, runs absolutely no different to petrol, but visting the petrol station is now enjoyable!! do it!!

simon morgan

Reaction score
LPG conversion

5+ years ago I had my 4.0L Jag converted and then had the system updated. I put the old system in my wife's micra and it all worked rather well. I am thinking of converting my 300SL -have the systems changed? I live in the Wye Valley so any suggestions as to suitable professionals to do the job wd be much appreciated. Good luck!

OP
T

Templar Al

Reaction score
Website
www.elkingtonlodge.net
Hi Simon,

I used to belong to an LPG Users Group called 'Vapourise' who are based in Telford. I am thinking of joining again, so I will dig out the details and post them on here.

Membership is only about £10 per year, and amongst other benefits, you can get a discount on LPG (used to be about 10%). The neat thing is that you open a trade account through Vapourise with an LPG Supplier based in Worcester, that has self-service filling points dotted around the country. You just go and help yourself, 24-7, using an electronic key, and you get billed monthly.

The systems have changed dramatically over the last 5 years - mostly to keep pace with the latest petrol engine developements. Some of the newer LPG systems would be no use to older cars, but generally, the newer systems are easier to fit.

There are two suppliers that I have had dealings with in the past, but I can't find the contact details at the moment. One is called WTV-UK (www.lpg-kits.com) and the other is Alternative Energy Products.

I will look-up the details and post them here later.

Alan.

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
Alan

Yes - very interested in your progress.

Is your engine the straight 6 (104 engine) ?????

If so, it is the same as mine, and I have been thinking of installing my own.

At the price you mention (£600 ish), where are you buying the kit from ????

Keen to look at your pics when done.

Regards

OP
T

Templar Al

Reaction score
Website
www.elkingtonlodge.net
Hi David,

Yes - it's the straight six in a W140 body. I bought the kit from Alternative Energy Products in Fareham, but have mislaid the contact details.

You definitely need a Sequential Injection System for this one - don't let anyone sell you a mixer type! The BiGas front end kit has cost me about £480 and the tank is a 75 litre toroidal that came from my Rover and cost £50 second hand about 5 years ago.

My only concern so far is the plastic Inlet Manifold - I may have to remove it to fit the jets on the underside.

If you do a search for LPG KIT on eBay, you will find a number of items from WTV-UK, another excellent company that I have had dealings with in the past.

I have fitted the tank and rear end parts already and started the documentation - so far so good!

Alan.

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
Alan

Watching with interest.

Is one able to travel on Euro shuttle with empty gas tank ??????

Regards

OP
T

Templar Al

Reaction score
Website
www.elkingtonlodge.net
kth286 said:
Alan

Watching with interest.

Is one able to travel on Euro shuttle with empty gas tank ??????

Regards

As far as I know, you can't take an LPG vehicle under the Euro Tunnel. I guy I work with didn't know this and was turned away, but that was just after the tunnel opened. Check with the operator when booking.

Alan.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom