M113K Starter Motor Replacement

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi Guys,

My starter on the CLS has always sounded very labored unless the battery was 100% charged, always bothered me a bit but just assumed it was a symptom of the overly power hungry electrical system in these cars.

I was updating the software, clearing codes etc on STAR the other day and as always I had the engine running whilst doing this, and as I was clearing each code which involved switching ignition on/off (starting engine on/off) i noted that the starter was laboring more than normal, but there was now a pronounced squeaking sound and cut out in the starting cycle, turning off ignition and starting again cured it though starter was still laboring, this happened approx 4 - 5 times, and now has done this once in normal use.

Anticipating having to replace the starter I have bought a new starter, planning on replacing it over the Christmas period.

According to WIS it seems a simple enough task and apparently is less than an hour book time to do.

I have had a quick look underneath the car and it appears very obstructed and difficult to access the area, can anyone offer any advice on changing it.

Any assistance/advice appreciated.

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
I just changed the starter on my c55 which involved taking that side exhaust downpipe off, was straight forward, I don't know if yours requires the same for access, but make sure you have some new exhaust bolts ready if it does!

OP
bigasotonuk

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Rob,
Thanks for the reply, WIS states other than under-tray removal, no other removals required, Looking at the same job for the C55/CLK55 and WIS states to remove the RH Engine mount and entire exhaust system, so you did well at only having to remove the exhaust front pipe.
I think the job is looking more daunting on my CLS being on my back on the driveway, I have access to a pit but its for a hgv lorry so isn't very deep, so is very uncomfortable to work in if you are tall, and even worse if you suffer from a bad back like myself.
I can see myself dosing myself up on anti-inflamateries and Codeine before attempting it.

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
Give me a Austin 1100 any day, lift the bonnet and the starter is staring at you.
If you can see the electrical connections to the starter and solenoid, do they look clean and tidy?
If your back allows it, it might be an idea to tackle that side of things. Sometimes that can improve turning over the engine. The squeak one can live with.

OP
bigasotonuk

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If it gives an hour in the book then it cant be a hard job

Totally agree as the actual time quoted is 45 minutes, it cant be that difficult, but after looking under the car the starter was just awkward/difficult to get to i am finding it difficult to believe once unbolted/disconnected it can even be removed from its position without any additional removals, hence why I was wondering if there was anything additional that would make the job easier.

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
Have a word with Ollie Andy, I'm sure he owes you a favour for all the "guided tours" you've helped him run over the years. ;)

OP
bigasotonuk

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
if the job is only rated at an hour, I'd be tempted to get a quote from a local indie rather than mauling around on the ground in the weather ;);)
Hi
Thanks for the reply, I do agree but its come after major expenditure (upgrades, modifications and maintenance followed by a failing SBC Brake Unit) so I was hoping to do this job myself.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
would you say that after driving the length of the M6/M1 in one? ;)
Frankly I am given the modern alternatives, I am almost prepared to chance that......certainly as a shopping car.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Hi
Thanks for the reply, I do agree but its come after major expenditure (upgrades, modifications and maintenance followed by a failing SBC Brake Unit) so I was hoping to do this job myself.

I know where you're coming from .... I do prefer to do most jobs myself but some times farming the job out is the best bet. ;)

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Under the car is a strange dirty and alien upside-down world without a ramp.

Winter takes it to another place of misery.

OP
bigasotonuk

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Under the car is a strange dirty and alien upside-down world without a ramp.

Winter takes it to another place of misery.
You are so right, the view is just so skewed, then wriggling like a snake on you're back to get into the exact position under the car only to find you need a different length extension or the socket is not the right size
You are so right and though it will be a struggle I don't think it will be any real problem unbolting and disconnecting the starter its actually removing it from under the car as the space is so limited.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
my dream is to fit a lift or build a pit in my garage.... one day.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
my dream is to fit a lift or build a pit in my garage.... one day.

There is a cheaper alternative :)

cars-on-bricks-that-are-almost-painful-to-look-at-22.jpg

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
would you say that after driving the length of the M6/M1 in one? ;)
I had a 1972 Austin 1300 bought new tax free in Germany, the most unreliable car I have ever owned.
Drove it from the Austrian border to Dundee in January 73 about 1100 miles, on mud & snow tyres no winter tyres then. Tried to keep in at 85mph on the autobahn, but it was not happy.

Top Bottom