M156 Bs Shed

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
First link from 2012 albeit by a respected author.

Second is a lovely retrospective/eulogy, again written nearly a year ago of what was an above average car at the time.

Most people have now moved on from the M156, which was not without it's issues at the time, and gone to the far superior Bi-Turbo M157/M177 engines, both of which provide a far superior driving experience. :D

Personally my favourite Mercedes V8 was the M113k, but I accept that it's old tech now and I'm looking towards the future.

Apart from my little red car that is...

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Indeed Dave, I have a lot of respect for Chris Harris, knows his stuff, been there done it and explains things in a no nonsense way. Also not annoying like many others who work their way into motoring programmes.
Having had the 113 and the 157 I’m mostly with you on your comment albeit I’ve never owned a 156

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
Don't get me wrong John, I'm not knocking the 156 engine (it can do that for itself:D). It's a good thing in the W204 but it never seemed suited to the larger saloons they put it in. It's an excellent unit in the C Class but when it was put in the 211 and early 212s, it really seemed to go against the "luxury" aspect of the car with all the high revving needed. This was especially true with the W221 S Class of the time.

Anyway, back to the OP. Nice car but dated. :p

All of the above is based purely on my own opinions

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Don't get me wrong John, I'm not knocking the 156 engine (it can do that for itself:D). It's a good thing in the W204 but it never seemed suited to the larger saloons they put it in. It's an excellent unit in the C Class but when it was put in the 211 and early 212s, it really seemed to go against the "luxury" aspect of the car with all the high revving needed. This was especially true with the W221 S Class of the time.

Anyway, back to the OP. Nice car but dated. :p

All of the above is based purely on my own opinions

I agree completely about the 156 in the larger cars. There is something about in the 204 chassis that separates the driving experience from the larger models.

The immense torque of the larger bi turbos, them a much more relaxing drive when need be.

The v12s are electric turbine like in their power delivery too. Matches the character of the larger cars perfectly.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Whilst the BS was a great car in its day, and a sure-fire classic due to the limited production, the W205 C63 has it licked for me. The handling, transmission speed and engine performance have moved the game on considerably.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Personally my favourite Mercedes V8 was the M113k, but I accept that it's old tech now and I'm looking towards the future.

Not driven a 113K only a basic 113 but would take a 119 over the base 113 any day. Very old tech but chalk and cheese to the 113 and very willing to rev.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
^ A big difference with the n/a M113 to the s/c M113k LK.
You should try one. They are pretty free revving for a big V8.

Old tech, yes and the 157/177 far superior, but its still a good 'un.
I'll be pretty sad when I finally part with mine.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom