Main Stealer Does it again!

admiral

Active Senior Members
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320
I dropped my 2004 CLK off this monring for it's Service A and suprise suprise they want more money!

When I dropped the car off this monring I told them that I was selling the car next week and therefore I didnt want any extra work done.

I have just received a call to advise me that in addition to the service a (£200, they need to replace Air Filter (£75), Brake Fluid (£60) and Gear Box Oil (£240).

I declined as I am only keeping the car for one more week and they tell me that they cannot now stamp the book as I declined to have the work done.

As it is, it is now left that they will not stamp my book and they want £200 for the service this morning. I am fuming!

This will be the last time that I ever go to Mercedes of Bristol, as its never a nice experience!:mad:
Any advice??

Matt32AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
From new 2002 SLK32///AMG, 2007 CLK350 AMG Sport Cabriolet sold:-( Porsche RS60 3.4 :-)
Not much comfort I know, but if the A service requires these elements done as part of the service schedule then they won't stamp the book for doing half a job. If it's due to be done e.g. based on mileage covered or last time it was serviced then it's diffcult to argue.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Make them an offer for the outstanding jobs you may find they have already done them !

In MB's defence the MOBILO roadside assistance element is going to be a problem if you haven't had it serviced completely.
As to the other parts of MOBILO well thats a lottery.

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
I dropped my 2004 CLK off this monring for it's Service A and suprise suprise they want more money!

When I dropped the car off this monring I told them that I was selling the car next week and therefore I didnt want any extra work done.

I have just received a call to advise me that in addition to the service a (£200, they need to replace Air Filter (£75), Brake Fluid (£60) and Gear Box Oil (£240).

I declined as I am only keeping the car for one more week and they tell me that they cannot now stamp the book as I declined to have the work done.

As it is, it is now left that they will not stamp my book and they want £200 for the service this morning. I am fuming!

This will be the last time that I ever go to Mercedes of Bristol, as its never a nice experience!:mad:
Any advice??

Why were you surprised? The work to be done at any given phase is transparent and freely available. The A and B service work is nothing more than the basic starting point....you did not do your homework and did not ask sufficient questions.
Nonetheless given that you had explained to MB Bristol your intentions for the car and at the very least intimated that you were expecting only a £200 bill they should have explained before accepting the contract.
Personally I think getting a car serviced before seeking to sell is a waste of money. Sell as seen and if necessary offering to get it serviced or discounting in lieu of getting it serviced leaves you with room to counter haggle.

Mic

OP
A

admiral

Active Senior Members
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320
Thank you for the replies.

I was obviously naive!
As the car is out of warranty, I only use them for a stamp in the book and only because I had promised the purchaser that I would get it serviced. I clearly told Mercedes Benz of Bristol that I was selling and didnt want any other work done. I do feel that I should have been told this morning when I explained and they were thumbing my service booklet.

If I had known that £200 the service was a starting point, then for this one, I would have used an independent. Follishly, I though that the stamp was for the scheduled service and not whatever work MB decided I needed doing.

This really will be the last time for me as I will go to the independents in the future for my other MB's where I dont have to argue with them every time I drop the car off.
From the independent, I will get the stamp in the book and then decide on what other work is required. I just dont like the stamp with-holding policy from Mercedes Benz of Bristol.

As I said, it has just never been a positive experience for me at Mercedes Benz of Bristol which is a shame.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
OK, I understand the arguments, and your frustration, but we are where we are (Blair T).

I can see you have two choices at least:

1) pay for the additional work, get the book stamped and get on with it, or
2) pay for the service, but don't get the book stamped. The dealership will then have to give you a copy of the work done and a receipt, which will presumably state that they have conducted the service.

In the latter case, that is your evidence that the service has been done, which you can show to the purchaser, along with the rest of the service history.

The Pan Man

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 E 500 A/G Classic colour combination.
Its about time MB caught on, You can't call items like Air Filters Extras for service for Christs sake, also by the mileage when you booked it in they should have been able to tell you what additional work was required.
NOW if you are using their words correctly and this is "EXTRA WORK" they should be forced to stamp yopur book for the work they have done.
Thats why the MB fixed price service is not worth spit.

OP
A

admiral

Active Senior Members
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320
Again, thank you. I have paid for the extra work (Which I suspect is my teminology and not theirs!) as life is too short, but will be the last time.

I too was suprised that an Air Filter was not a standard service item.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Just curious but what was recorded on the service sheet you signed when you handed your keys over this morning?

Kyliewww

Reaction score
Website
www.dead-ringer.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Astra 'H' CDTi; '89 MK2 Orion 'Ghia'
I too was suprised that an Air Filter was not a standard service item.

I too thought that this was a standard item until I now own a Mercedes. Not too sure if I will be wasting my money but I will request that it's changed at every service.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I too thought that this was a standard item until I now own a Mercedes. Not too sure if I will be wasting my money but I will request that it's changed at every service.

The filters are mileage things, one could have several services before they came round on a low mileage car.

Dont we just love the dealers. Also as said why did they accept the contract to do it

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)

Any advice??

Don't you just love dealers, £75 to fit air filters. it should be part of a service.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Don't you just love dealers, £75 to fit air filters. it should be part of a service.

But that job takes 5 minutes,, they cant do it free while the oil was draining out, that takes thought ;):D

moosehead

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230/2005/2.5L Avantgarde SE Sport Pack Estate, SLK230/1999 and Volvo XC60/2017 AWD
Every job seems to have an over-inflated book time to complete and there doesn't seem to be any common sense applied to how long it takes in reality. A good example is the itemised charge for removing front road wheels for a brake pad / disc change. Cost £29.55+VAT

carnut13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL400 & Audi A1 Sport
I agree with the Op's sentiment. The lesson is that not enough people read their Service Book that clearly states what work is required at what time & mileage.The formula is that a service is required on a mileage/time basis but that's a basic starter and extra work is then required most times.

The annoying thing is that the dealer rarely explains this even though they have the details on their system and could easily check EXACTLY what is needed when you book it in; they seem to prefer to keep quiet until they have your car on the ramps ( & the customer over a barrel:rolleyes:)

Read your service book and work out what's mandatory (and therefore must be done to have FMBSH stamp) and what's optional.Many dealers like to change this or that way before its needed...its buyer beware at these times:cool:

OP
A

admiral

Active Senior Members
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320
again thank you.

I too was horrified at the £240 for gearbox oil change! The £60 for brake fluid was not too bad and I wouldnt have quibbled.

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
So !!..... your prepaired to sell a car that requires, a new air filter, Brake fluid, and auto trans fluid............ with a book thats stamped up, a purchaser, would reasonably presume those items have been done.

A little, devious, dont you think ???????

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
The annoying thing is that the dealer rarely explains this even though they have the details on their system and could easily check EXACTLY what is needed when you book it in; they seem to prefer to keep quiet until they have your car on the ramps ( & the customer over a barrel:rolleyes:)

Of course they do - can you imagine how little work they'd get if they were honest.

"B Service? - oh, and I see your car needs ATF, brake fluid, air & fuel filters and spark plugs, so that'll be £950". "And chances are our technician will think you need pads and disks all round, so brace yourself for another £800". Click. "hello...hello...."

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom