manual gearbox

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
id have a manual box every time, given the choice! auto boxes on the more run of the mill mercedes cars are a £2k option. higher powered cars are auto only.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
I love the auto box in MB's...... I dont find BMW to be as smooth gear change as MB..

Cousins 525i Motorsport is no where near as smooth as mine....

I didnt think i would enjoy an auto so much MB box has won me over.

I would like to know how good the auto box is on high power cars like SL55 or even a SL500. Also I think the new 7 gear boxs are even better than the one I have in my car.

Now amo the bmw auto box is everybit as good and as smooth as the merc ..your friends car needs hids gearbox reset..

OP
M

merc7

Reaction score
Now amo the bmw auto box is everybit as good and as smooth as the merc ..your friends car needs hids gearbox reset..

the merc gear box is a be ,bmw is a wannabe:D

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG

I dont mean it was slugish... His car has more or less same power as mine with 2.5 litres but you can notice when the gears were changing whereas In mine its more seemless

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The whole point is that with an auto,,you can sit at the lights eating a Xmas pudding, thinking about sex,,the lights go green,,and I am the first away;):cool:

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
well I've sampled five now

four autos, one manual. 2 of the autos 4 speeders, two five speeders, and i have to say i love the five speed box on the 210 to bits. It really delivers the goods, don't have to use the tiptronic, the boxis very responsive. ( but I do).
The four speeder in the SL is in a league of it's own. Tickle the loud pedal from stationary and off she burbles. Plant your foot, and it kicks-down to 1st and pins your ears back until you ease off the pedal or you hit the limiter. It's a proper hooligan if you want it to be.

I also like the manual five speeder in the 280. It's a good partner with a big powerful engine like that. You can quite happily go 1.3.5 and off you pop into the distance. never have to use any revs to manoevre, just slip the clutch at idle and she does what you want.

I am getting very used to the autos though, so the w202 may be my last manual Merc.

psmart

Reaction score
id have a manual box every time, given the choice!
Totally agree.....

Excerpt from Wiki:-
Manual transmissions generally offer better fuel economy than automatics; however the disparity has been somewhat offset with the introduction of locking torque converters on automatic transmissions.[3] Increased fuel economy with a properly operated manual transmission vehicle versus an equivalent automatic transmission vehicle can range from 5% to about 15% depending on driving conditions and style of driving.[4] Manual transmissions do not require active cooling and generally weigh less than comparable automatics.[3] The manual transmission couples the engine to the transmission with a rigid clutch instead of a torque converter which slips by nature. Manual transmissions also lack the parasitic power consumption of the automatic transmission's hydraulic pump.
Or link:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manual_transmission#Benefits_and_drawbacks

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
I've never managed to figure out how you can manage hill starts in a manual MB without the foot operated parking brake flying up and "banging" loudly against it's stop.

rovingHawk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK230K, Mondeo Estate, Blackbird
I've never managed to figure out how you can manage hill starts in a manual MB without the foot operated parking brake flying up and "banging" loudly against it's stop.
Speaking for my SLK & A-class, they have a normal handbrake to go with their normal manual gearbox- it isn't a problem.

On an S-class I see the point of an auto, on the SLK I prefer the manual until I can afford tiptronic.

RH

dervmerc

Reaction score
Absolutely is your choice:),however personally i think buying a prestigious car like the Mercedes-Benz designed to be driven with automatic gear box,do you not find foot brake also awkward to use?

I like the economy of the 220 cdi so for me it does'nt quite have the power to fully justify an auto box although they no doubt operate well enough.I've always thought a big grunt of an engine needs an auto as holding on requires both hands.

The foot parking brake was odd to start with but I'm used to it now,however, I would prefer a conventional handbrake lever.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom