Manuals To Become Extinct

rio678

Reaction score
I always prefer a manual to an auto, as auto's need more ooomph to get going, especially for overtaking, however i am a fan of the auto's with a manual gear mode :) as it has the best of both worlds, But i agree manuals are much more fun, plus if your car battery fails, you can bump start, in an auto, Nope! :(

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I always prefer a manual to an auto, as auto's need more ooomph to get going, especially for overtaking, however i am a fan of the auto's with a manual gear mode :) as it has the best of both worlds, But i agree manuals are much more fun, plus if your car battery fails, you can bump start, in an auto, Nope! :(

Back in the 60's we had rear pumps on the auto boxes,they could be push started, I see that MB are bringing them back on some cars.

Malcolm

W

wendy

My cvt gearbox on my a-class packed up after 72000 miles. It was replaced under manufacturer's warranty because it was less than 3 years old. Has anyone any idea how much this would have cost me and why the gearbox should have packed up as suddenly as it did? I only do normal motorway driving and do not commute so the car only has holiday/shopping wear and tear. I am the second owner and the car had done 68000 when I bought it but the car doesn't appear to have been thrashed.

OP
H

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
My cvt gearbox on my a-class packed up after 72000 miles. It was replaced under manufacturer's warranty because it was less than 3 years old. Has anyone any idea how much this would have cost me and why the gearbox should have packed up as suddenly as it did? I only do normal motorway driving and do not commute so the car only has holiday/shopping wear and tear. I am the second owner and the car had done 68000 when I bought it but the car doesn't appear to have been thrashed.

Trouble is we don't know what sort of life it had during the 68,000 miles before you owned it. Is it the current model or previous one?

W

wendy

It's the new shape A150 Classic SE January 2006. I know that the mileage was high but the car was in immaculate condition when I bought it so I can't think that it would have been thrashed but of course you never know. The car is now fine but I've noticed that she's more sluggish than before. Knowing absolutely nothing about what goes on under the bonnet apart from screenwash is it a silly question to ask whether the new gearbox needs to "bed down" perhaps explaining why she doesn't seem to be as responsive to the accelerator pedal.

OP
H

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
It's the new shape A150 Classic SE January 2006. I know that the mileage was high but the car was in immaculate condition when I bought it so I can't think that it would have been thrashed but of course you never know. The car is now fine but I've noticed that she's more sluggish than before. Knowing absolutely nothing about what goes on under the bonnet apart from screenwash is it a silly question to ask whether the new gearbox needs to "bed down" perhaps explaining why she doesn't seem to be as responsive to the accelerator pedal.

First the obvious: - check whether you are in C or S. In C you get less excitement but better economy.

Second:- if you drove gently after the box was changed, the box learns your driving style. It will change earlier for relaxed economical driving. If you go out and belt it a bit it will respond with nippier settings.

When is the next service due and when were the plugs last changed?

Or maybe like all of us, you have just got used to the performance and sometimes wish for more!

W

wendy

Many thanks - that certainly answers my question. I do generally drive a bit sedately preferring to keep the revs low but once on the motorway I like to get going. I haven't yet been on a long run because I only got the car back 2 weeks ago so have only been shopping. I'll take it out next week and go on a long motorway run then perhaps the gearbox will sense the style. The car was only serviced in June by Mercedes. Finally just as a matter of interest do you have any idea how much it would have cost if it hadn't been covered by the manufacturer's warranty?

djb

Reaction score

In the 70s had a 4 speed auto mini, with the AP auto box, it had an extra oil pump, driven from the same gearing of the govener for gear changes, so it was push startable, needed a looong push though, more like a down hill start!

0-60 measured with a calander, over 30 sec ! felt like 3 years when passing hgvs!

OP
H

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Many thanks - that certainly answers my question. I do generally drive a bit sedately preferring to keep the revs low but once on the motorway I like to get going. I haven't yet been on a long run because I only got the car back 2 weeks ago so have only been shopping. I'll take it out next week and go on a long motorway run then perhaps the gearbox will sense the style. The car was only serviced in June by Mercedes. Finally just as a matter of interest do you have any idea how much it would have cost if it hadn't been covered by the manufacturer's warranty?

No; I don't know, but the dealer can tell you. I would be interested to hear the answer if you get it.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom