Mass Air Flow Sensor

AdamSnuggs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 Bluetec 2016 saloon diesel
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and I am hoping I will be able to help as well as be helped with varoouis issues that arise with these cars.

I currently have a management light on (yellow) which I clear every day. The code says "mass air flow sensor high" and sometimes another code appears "Mass air flow sensor low"
I have changed the filters on both sides of the unit and taken the whole unit off to spray clean the inside copper looking sensor, one on each side. I thought this had done it as the light didn't come back on but the following day it did. I don't know what else to change to make the light stay off? There are 3 what look like sensors on the unit, one sort of in front of the turbo and the other two on either side of the unit. BUT I don't know where to get this sensor if it is this that's the problem becuase whenever I search for it, all I can find is sensors for Mercs with 2006 engines and the MAF is nothing like the one on my car.

The link below is a similar one to the one on the car. (my car is an E350 bluetec diesel 2016 saloon.)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14374907...aAtDi9HrIFBmzKfshF7IvG6ELz8c5Wl4aAnd1EALw_wcB

If anyone has experienced this or knows what to do, I would be extremely grateful for some advice. I am definitely NOT a mechanic and the last time I worked on a car, it was to replace the brakes and pads and alternator on my childrens cars. Playing with a nearly new car scares me i'm sad to say!

Thank you in advance.
Adam.

OP
A

AdamSnuggs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Good afternoon everyone,.

I did try posting but it hasn't showed up so I guess i did something wrong! Anyway, i am new to this forum and I am hopeful i can be helpful as well as receive help.
I have an issue I wish to discuss on my E350 diesel bluetec 2016 saloon.
The engine management light has been on for a few weeks now and the codes that come up are "Mass air flow sensor high" and "Mass air flow sensor low" I clear them off and the light goes out but reappears the following day.
I have taken off the whole unit which is similar to this one in the link shown below.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14374907...aAtDi9HrIFBmzKfshF7IvG6ELz8c5Wl4aAnd1EALw_wcB

I removed and replaced with new, the air filters on both sides and spray cleaned (using the correct cleaner) the copper looking small posts in either end until they were shiny. This cured it for a day then the light came back on. There are 3 electrical connections one on either side and the last, very close to the turbo. I don't know if this should be replaced or cleaned? It looks fine. I also don't know if it's the sensor the code is talking about?

I never claim to be a mechanic but I try to do what I can rather than pay garage prices.

Does anyone have any information on A, what to do next and B, where to get a sensor if it is that?

Many thanks indeed in anticipation.
Adam.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Good afternoon everyone,.

I did try posting but it hasn't showed up so I guess i did something wrong! Anyway, i am new to this forum and I am hopeful i can be helpful as well as receive help.
I have an issue I wish to discuss on my E350 diesel bluetec 2016 saloon.
The engine management light has been on for a few weeks now and the codes that come up are "Mass air flow sensor high" and "Mass air flow sensor low" I clear them off and the light goes out but reappears the following day.
I have taken off the whole unit which is similar to this one in the link shown below.

I removed and replaced with new, the air filters on both sides and spray cleaned (using the correct cleaner) the copper looking small posts in either end until they were shiny. This cured it for a day then the light came back on. There are 3 electrical connections one on either side and the last, very close to the turbo. I don't know if this should be replaced or cleaned? It looks fine. I also don't know if it's the sensor the code is talking about?

I never claim to be a mechanic but I try to do what I can rather than pay garage prices.

Does anyone have any information on A, what to do next and B, where to get a sensor if it is that?

Many thanks indeed in anticipation.
Adam.
It was moved to the correct section - I've now merged your threads for you.

OP
A

AdamSnuggs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many thank indeed! Very kind!

OP
A

AdamSnuggs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not sure if this post goes out to everyone? My apologies if it only goes to one person.
I have purchased the Mass Air Flow sensors now and tried to fit them earlier today but gave up. I couldn't get the old ones off how ever hard I tried so if anyone has any ideas on how to get them off without breaking anything, I would very much appeciate it. Watching a youtube video shows a guy changing them over but he broke a section and had to glue it back. I'm not too keen on breaking anything so as said, if anyone can advise, I'd be grateful.

This is the link I found.
Thanks very much indeed everyone.

Malcolm Johnson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 (M273) & W221 S350 bluetec
Hello went through this frustration 16 months ago went to the extent of buying Maf's from Germany, Maf service gmb . Fitted and then returned
Talked to a local tuner who said Bosch Mafs are more sensitive and the cars ecu expects it (ergo amber light)
So bought a complete hose assembly from Newcastle Mercedes ebay store.
Fitted new hose assembly, amber light and all errors immediately disappeared.
Was a learning experience.

Malcolm Johnson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 (M273) & W221 S350 bluetec
Will add add a bit more history from my thread 2022/23
Cut and pasted a old thread below to give more detail:

Just want to pass on my experience re what turned out to be a Maf error. My CEL came on and my local indie spotted that i had fitted the wrong turbo seal when i had replaced the air filters 3 months previously. Which i felt embarrassed about. Couple of Days later the Cel came on again so i took it back and my indie who believed as i'm no longer using the car as a work vehicle the dpf had filled up. I was surprised re the diagnosis. He drove the car and put it in regen mode. ( Auto regen normally) I checked dpf myself after and it was empty.

Two days later the CEL came on. I rang the indie and said it had come on a third time and my icar soft was pointing in the direction of the right hand side MAF sensor as i had mentioned on my previous visit.

I said i would investigate the issue myself and if i couldn't solve the problem myself i would contact them again.
So i removed all the hoses/piping/seals to allow me to remove the MAF sensors. As they are protected/encased piping with a wire cage to keep foreign objects off the sensors. I put a wd40 can plastic tube into my electrical contact cleaner can which allowed me go through the wire cage and clean/blast both sensors vigorously.

That was three weeks ago (400 miles). Presently no CEL has returned and the economy has had a noticeable improvement.!!!.
So that was my issue/experience.

• The story continued, early December the CEL came back on with the same error, the electrical cleaner had only worked temporarily. So i ordered two replacement Maf's from a Maf company in Berlin. I replaced the The two Mafs which got rid of the original error but created a ECU non read/compatible error.
    so returned and received a refund. Put the old mafs back on. The car functions fine with a CEL.
    I ordered the the full Mercedes Maf and hose Assembly which i installed. All is well now.
    What i have learnt is sometimes you have to buy from a Mercedes dealer , but it has been a educational trip which i answered and solved myself.
    Five years ago i would have just thrown money at a indie, but as i'm retired i have the time to play with my old work car.

MKJ
    Departed two W220's S320cdi
    194k & 217k

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom