MB Costings: Towbar W205

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
Some of you may remember that I asked some advice earlier about fixing a bike to a W205 with a view of having cycle rides outwith my immediate area, post lockdown. With much-valued help and comment, I concluded that a towbar mounted cycle rack would be most suitable for me. In the event, I bought an electric bike which is far too heavy to lift on to a roof rack, and too risky with a pano roof.

I therefore asked an MB dealership for a price to supply and fit a towbar and was quoted around £1900. The bike rack would be an additional cost but doesn't need to be MB. The main cost seems to be that it will take about 9 hours of labour as they have to fit a new loom for the electrics.

I'm wondering if any of you have fitted a towbar to a W205 or had one fitted and whether this cost/labour time is realistic for the job.

There are other manufacturers who do towbars for the 205, but I'm not sure about letting these folks loose on MB electrics!

Any further help would be most appreciated.

Ernie

philreed52

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
270clk
Some of you may remember that I asked some advice earlier about fixing a bike to a W205 with a view of having cycle rides outwith my immediate area, post lockdown. With much-valued help and comment, I concluded that a towbar mounted cycle rack would be most suitable for me. In the event, I bought an electric bike which is far too heavy to lift on to a roof rack, and too risky with a pano roof.

I therefore asked an MB dealership for a price to supply and fit a towbar and was quoted around £1900. The bike rack would be an additional cost but doesn't need to be MB. The main cost seems to be that it will take about 9 hours of labour as they have to fit a new loom for the electrics.

I'm wondering if any of you have fitted a towbar to a W205 or had one fitted and whether this cost/labour time is realistic for the job.

There are other manufacturers who do towbars for the 205, but I'm not sure about letting these folks loose on MB electrics!

Any further help would be most appreciated.

Ernie
Look for a trusted tow bar fitting company or a good auto electrician.(unless under warranty ) main dealers are stupid money for towbars .I work in caravan industry and we use a local company and have never had any complaints . Some main dealers sub the work out and put their own mark up on top. Most of the wiring looms are pre wired plug and play and all the bolt holes for towbars are usually ready drilled and tapped.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Umbra rimorchi. Google. Italian towbar. My ml250
Was £166.00 plus a dedicated harness, can't remember exactly think that about 70 euro. From somewhere else. With hindsight I prob should have just run with the bypass relay. No need to code that. Have not coded mine yet and if I can't find an economic way I will go by pass relay instead. Does my head in that they are not plug n play. But that's many car makers now, everything involves opening wallet. N making as near sure as possible one can't do complete job oneself.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Look for a trusted tow bar fitting company or a good auto electrician.(unless under warranty ) main dealers are stupid money for towbars .I work in caravan industry and we use a local company and have never had any complaints . Some main dealers sub the work out and put their own mark up on top. Most of the wiring looms are pre wired plug and play and all the bolt holes for towbars are usually ready drilled and tapped.

Most Benz looms require coding to car. Unless fitting universal relay.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
It depends how handy you (or your friends) are.
I've fitted my own towbar and electrics to a W204 - essentially the same model as your's.
Try this guy - he supplies everything, with clear instructions. No coding needed.
You should be able to get away for less than £300.

https://towequipe.co.uk

OP
E

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol

Thanks for that advice, Phil. I've had a quote from a local Witter Agency and they have quoted £550 including VAT, fitting and coding in the electrics. They are a trailer centre in the middle of a farming community and I've spoken to the foreman who seems confident in dealing with the C Class electrics. When I spoke to them, they were fitting bars to a Jag and Audi, so that helps the confidence level!

Thanks also to all who have contributed.

Ernie

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
If you're only fitting a towbar for it's mechanical properties enabling the fitting of your bike rack and you don't ever propose to do any towing, why would you want to fit the electrical package as well? I don't believe there is any existing legislation that requires you to do so and providing the vehicle lighting isn't obstructed?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Lighting is exactly the reason.
Almost all bikes carried on the back of a car will obscure number plates and lights.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom