MB Driver Experience - my last MB?

muggins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL65, ML63
Anyone else thinking of never buying MB again? Having traded in my E55 which I'd had for nearly nine years, for a brand new CLS 55, I think it may have been the worst car move for me yet. A few days after picking up my new car I noticed silver flecks all over the paintwork which wouldn't come off with normal cleaning materials. After several inspections by various people from MB and a dealer, it was finally identified as either acid rain or chemical spill from the transportation over to the UK. It was fixed after a couple of months by which time my joy had started to wain. Now a year on, I've just sent an email to Stuttgart, entitled CLS 55 Nightmare. It hasn't been an enjoyable experience for me at all after spending the best part of 80 grand. Problems to name a few include: Seat with a squeak from hell, rattles from nearside rear, armrest compartment coming off in my hands, weather sills on doors coming off, engine sounds like it's done 500,000 miles (it's only done 2,000 to date), lag on acceleration like I've never experienced before, suspension 'bumpy' when starting off (feels like going over speed bumps. MB are suggesting I take the car in to get 'fixed'. If this is the experience 1 year, 2K miles into my dream, I don't think I want to wait and see what's around the corner (excuse pun)! Just to cap my nightmare, they do away with the CLS 55 and bring in the CLS 63. They say it's all about continual improvements - a year on? - I'm not convinced. I think they've had problems and this was the way out. I don't think MB have dumped a model only a year after launch before? Where to go from here - don't know yet, have to scream at MB more I guess? Resolution: I guess there several options, flog it and lose a fortune and switch to something else (not MB), MB buy back this pile of metal, MB switch me into the model I should have got in the first place or I agree to get it 'fixed'. Of these options, only second or third will give me any faith in this company but I'm probably just dreaming!
Anyone out there with a similar experience and a satisfactory outcome I'd like to hear your story.

Reaction score
Given MB's claims that they have now sorted out thier build quality problems this is a worrying post. I have not had any where near those problems but 4 months into my MB ownership I am 99% sure I'll never buy another one either. After all the excuses and comments but other forum members the car is just not worth the money they charge for it. Nice engine and looks, but shame about pretty much everything else.

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
ahem

6th September 2005. new SLK55AMG on drive.

Oct 05. 1400miles. new water pump needed. sourced to incorrect seal. 1 week at dealers

dec 05, 2800miles. Total Power steering failure sourced back to incorrect software installed on parameter steering soleniod sensor. 8 days at dealers.

July 06. 6200miles. Oil leaking from top rocker/cam covers both banks. Fixed by recovery in 1 hr. checked torqued setting and adjusted bolts.

July 06, 6400miles. leak again. recovery truck to dealer and 6 days with dealer while new sealent (Not gaskets) fitted and all bolts correctly torqued.

Shambolic! and the dealer that fixed the first and last issues really found out how nice i am. and so did mercedes. not that i dont like the car, but some customer service is missing from Mercedes Bradford and Wakefield thats for sure.

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
After reading these posts I'm kinda glad we don't have our Mercedes anymore :shock:

Shambolic

Reaction score
SLinKyjoe said:
ahem

6th September 2005. new SLK55AMG on drive.

Oct 05. 1400miles. new water pump needed. sourced to incorrect seal. 1 week at dealers

dec 05, 2800miles. Total Power steering failure sourced back to incorrect software installed on parameter steering soleniod sensor. 8 days at dealers.

July 06. 6200miles. Oil leaking from top rocker/cam covers both banks. Fixed by recovery in 1 hr. checked torqued setting and adjusted bolts.

July 06, 6400miles. leak again. recovery truck to dealer and 6 days with dealer while new sealent (Not gaskets) fitted and all bolts correctly torqued.

Shambolic! and the dealer that fixed the first and last issues really found out how nice i am. and so did mercedes. not that i dont like the car, but some customer service is missing from Mercedes Bradford and Wakefield thats for sure.
Please dont put my name to that please!!:p :p :p

You will see some of the probs I have had on other threads on here with my "nearly new" SLK going in next week for indicator stalk again as the car continually wants to turn left (which is dangerous driving up to side roads on the main carriageway as people keep pulling out) and the "B" service is due 1500 miles after I bought the car 2 months ago (bought with 5400miles 16 month old car), although dealer is carrying out service for free after I complained( nicely) too them!

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
SORRY.

didnt think. too busy in rant mode.

shambles i should have put.

Wil

Reaction score
I just upgraded from a Nissan Micra to a SLK32 AMG, only had it for just over a week and noticed the heated seat don't work, interior light does'nt turn off (have to manually switch it off) and only 2 days ago my ECU light appeared and the engine has suddenly started to idle like on 3 cylinders. Luckily I have some warranty so this will get sorted without my expense :smile:

My Vectra I still own is probably the most reliable car I've ever had, no rust or major mechanical faults and still going strong with over 100k miles and it's a Vauxhall :shock:

Wil

Reaction score
OmniCognateNeutronRangler said:
erm....slight jump there? Bet you're missing the performance of the micra...;)

I do miss the MPG though... costing me a fortune on fuel this AMG :(

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
littlebrooklyn said:
After reading these posts I'm kinda glad we don't have our Mercedes anymore :shock:
LiitleB you are far too intelligent to draw conclusions from a sample of two or three. I could find you lots of dissatisfied VW owners too and even on the Lexus site you will find amazing tales of woe.

Since 1983 I've had 10 or 11 Mercs and only one breakdown (well actually wouldn't come out of reverse on start up). Had niggles of course but never let me down. Typically doing 30k plus p.a and took them up to 60/65k then passed to wife as family car for school runs, shopping, dogs etc. She added another 20k waiting for my next cast off. We never had any bill other than servicing and normal consumables in all that time. In recent years I've done less miles but did 26k trouble free miles over a two year period in a C class, and 15k trouble free miles in an ML270cdi.

Perhaps SlinkyJo could post a Poll (I know not how) giving five categories and asking owners who have bought new in the last three years??? was your cars reliability Very bad, bad, reasonable, good or very good. Then we shall really learn something (and so will Mercedes!).

To make it really useful you could have three threads One for cars registered in 2006, one for those registered in 2005 and one for those registered in 2004. And of course one could go back further but the last three years would be enough to help to show if reliability was improving. And wouldn't it be nice to know if problem cars were one in a hundred or one in ten or whatever the truth is.

Last edited:
OP
M

muggins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL65, ML63
I think we've just touched the surface?

Well1 From your replies it seems that there are just a few people around who aren't 100% happy with their merc. This is a quote from one of the top dogs in Stuttgart: Head of Mercedes-Benz Eckhard Cordes: "A systematic approach to quality"
Stuttgart - With a worldwide recall Mercedes-Benz is improving the quality of passenger cars already in the field. With this measure the head of Mercedes-Benz, Dr. Eckhard Cordes, is adding emphasis to his quality initiative: "We are now producing the best product quality ever and our aim is to ensure that those vehicles in the hands of customers which are the cause of complaints achieve a standard of quality that reflects our highest expectations."

That's all right then!

Reaction score
Hawk 20, there is more to a car's "quality" than how often it breaks down. A car that cost more than £30k should not have a centre console that will move upto an inch left and right when you rest your leg against it and creak and groan like a old transit van; should not have paint so thin that it comes off when a gnat farts on it; should not start rusting the minute the paint does come off; should not have a gearbox that throw's you through the windscreen on occasion when it changes gear; should not have the front suspension wear out in 25k miles; should not "drift to the left"; should not have cheap plastics everywhere; should not have a boot that sounds like an old Cortina when it closes.....

The list is endless. The car DOES handle well; DOES look great; DOES have a lovely smooth engine but the neatives far outweigh the positives in my opinion.

psmart

Reaction score
My thrupence ha'pennys worth....

...I remember the good old days....:rolleyes:

For the money we pay for these cars, is it too much to ask a premier brand manufacturer to provide Customer service, commensurate with the price paid?

Your always going to get rogue cars, for whatever reason, so is it not too much to ask, that if a problem surfaces, it is remedied or replaced (part or car) in an acceptable time frame (<7 days)? If not, what really seperates Mercedes Benz from Skoda, other than a dash of fancy eye candy and a few gadgets?

davebox

Reaction score
Website
www.herbaldavesplace.co.uk
Yep its the service that puts me off buying new or nearly new again. Have to admit that owning and driving the Merc gives a smile to my face, shame it fades whenever we need to visit the dealer. Overall the car has been OK, but should OK be what we look for in a merc? I think not and if Mercs cannot sort out the dealers I will not be back.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
davebox said:
Yep its the service that puts me off buying new or nearly new again. Have to admit that owning and driving the Merc gives a smile to my face, shame it fades whenever we need to visit the dealer. Overall the car has been OK, but should OK be what we look for in a merc? I think not and if Mercs cannot sort out the dealers I will not be back.

But they are sorting out the dealers. And much else besides. Look at my thread on Reliable E class and my new thread on Reliable Mercedes giving the latest JD Power results. You won't want a beemer when you read that. But I admit you may want a Lexus!:)

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
OmniCognateNeutronRangler said:
Hawk 20, there is more to a car's "quality" than how often it breaks down. A car that cost more than £30k should not have a centre console that will move upto an inch left and right when you rest your leg against it and creak and groan like a old transit van; should not have paint so thin that it comes off when a gnat farts on it; should not start rusting the minute the paint does come off; should not have a gearbox that throw's you through the windscreen on occasion when it changes gear; should not have the front suspension wear out in 25k miles; should not "drift to the left"; should not have cheap plastics everywhere; should not have a boot that sounds like an old Cortina when it closes.....

The list is endless. The car DOES handle well; DOES look great; DOES have a lovely smooth engine but the neatives far outweigh the positives in my opinion.
OK you have clearly been unlucky. First I cannot recognise the car you describe. I had one a little bit younger (March 2002) and did 26,000 trouble free miles (apart from a squeak from the front anti-roll bar which was fixed free in one visit). It was well made and well put together.

As for the paint, it is not thin and the trade price from the paint maker is over £50 per litre. You say it should not rust even if the paint comes off (e.g from a stone chip?). I cannot agree. If a car is not galvanised, then once the paint is off steel will rust very quickly. Both Mercedes and BMW started galvanising all steel panels etc from 2004 onwards.

By the way, why weren't your problems fixed under guarantee? And for rust you have a thirty year guarantee and numerous threads testify to the fact that the rust guarantee is what it says.

As for your gearbox you clearly have a fault. I don't know how close you have got to your local Merc dealer, but with a 2003 model you are hardly out of guarantee are you? Why was it not fixed under guarantee? Even out of guarantee Mercedes have a good record of fixing things free if they should not have gone wrong so soon -under goodwill- obviously provided you have a full service history. All I can say is my dealer would have sorted out the problems you describe long since. Even if you are out of guarantee I would write to Mercedes Customer Service (e-mail) and tell them your problems. Many are the cases in the threads of this forum that show that this has often worked.

Last edited:

psmart

Reaction score
hawk20 said:
But they are sorting out the dealers.
I havent seen the SS or the machine guns yet.... when I see slain dealers, punished for there crimes against Merc owners, then all will be forgiven :rolleyes:

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
well, if you want customer service

do go to Skoda. I can't fault them, and I am very fussy. Nothing is too much trouble, and they do what they say they are going to do, when they say they are going to do it, or they apologise properly for not doing. Mercedes take note. and I like their cars as well, nice, sensibly priced Audis and Volkswagens.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
7 August 2006| Source: just-auto.com editorial team

"July 2006 sales world-wide of Mercedes Car Group passenger cars rose 2% to 102,300 units.

In the first seven months of 2006, sales rose 8% to a record 729,600 units.

Mercedes-Benz brand sales rose 5% in July to 92,700 units (July 2005: 88,200 units). Year-to-date, Mercedes delivered a record 658,000 cars, up 12%.

Western Europe sales rose by 4% to 55,900 units with gains in the UK, France, Spain and Italy.

United States customer deliveries also rose 4% to a record 21,600 vehicles.

A new sales record was set in the Asia/Pacific region as well, with sales increasing 14% to 8,500 units."

Reaction score
Hawk20, I think you will find that there is nothing in my post about my car that is not echoed by a host of other c-class drivers, not just me (just look through this forum). These issues do not seem to be specific to my car and based on the responses on this forum sound they sound pretty endemic throughout the range.

Yes the car rusts from stone chips. It isn't galvanised by my 99 Audi (4 years older) was and never rusted from stone chips

The Audi had stone chips but never as bad as the Merc, even after 160,000 miles.

There are a mamoth number of posts on this forum about the interiror quality of Mercs.

There are MANY posts on C-Class mercs drifting to the left

I have also been told on this forum that it is common for the 5 speed auto gearbox to be a bit violent at times (and it has been checked out by an MB dealer).

My Audi had 160,000 miles on the clock and NEVER had anywork done on the suspension. The C-Class had to have the front anti-roll bar replaced at 30k miles. Suspension failure at 30k miles is insane!!

Surely nobody who paid around £30k for a car (I didn't by the way) would expect this kind of shoddy work. The other posts on this forum are testimony to the fact that they dont.

Top Bottom