MB Extended Warranty - Experience on older Cars

m.p.rogers

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI (S204)
Hi,

Since buying my Approved Used 2014 C250 CDI (S204) I've extended the MB warranty every year, 4 years down the line I'm paying £40 a month for the warranty and am concerned given the age and mileage of the car (95k) that any failure now will likely be branded "Wear & Tear" leaving me to pick up the repair bill.

Does anyone have any real world experience to offer of dealing with a warranty claim, particularly on older/higher mileage car, as I'm considering cancelling the cover if its likely not to pay out if/when I need it.

Appreciate it.

Mark

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
First question, have you had any value from the warranty to date. If the TandC dont change, I dont see how they can rely on the wear and tear

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Welcome!

Have you talked to MB about this there will be a mileage threshold probably around 100k miles regarding wear and tear - I would want this in writing.

MB must be coining it in at the moment as most of the cars on the road are hardly being used.

Last edited:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome,

£480 p.a. isn't a huge amount of money, however as per above 100K is most likely a threshold where limits come into play.
The original warranty is 3 years unlimited mileage but I think following warranties top out at 100K miles

OP
M

m.p.rogers

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI (S204)
Thanks for the welcome and your replies.

Other than a £50 boost sensor, I've not had any claims on the warranty.

The wording in the policy states the below, I imagine it would be very easy to claim any failure on a 7 year old 95k mile car is wear and tear related, hence I was looking for the experiences of others to see how it played out in reality.

£480pa is not a great deal, but at the same time, I would rather not pay for something that proved to be of little value in reality.

There is no mileage limitation quoted in the T&C's, only a max age of 10 years old.

What is not covered?

Claims for mechanical or electrical failure of
covered parts if the failure is due to wear and tear

Last edited:

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I would think that any failure on an engine which has covered 95k miles would be considered fair wear and tear other than breakage of mains components ie piston, conrod, camshaft etc so I would keep the money in the bank for when it’s needed

OP
M

m.p.rogers

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI (S204)
That's what I assumed, a turbo or a gearbox failure for instance, which are probably the most likely and expensive items to fail at this age are probably not going to be covered on the grounds of wear and tear.

Making the warranty of limited value.

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
That wording is key.

So smoking is wear and tear, but if a piston ring breaks that’s failure.

When to worry is when the wording changes to “what is covered” - then don’t bother because the whole emphasis shifts.

IMHO on a Merc, for £480 a year, for it to be an “everything should covered except” type wording I would continue the cover = assuming you don’t claim in the next two years it’s cost you nearly £1000 but how much repairs could you do on an engine or gearbox for £1k - not many!

Janchee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ex W213/2016/220D 190
Hi,

Since buying my Approved Used 2014 C250 CDI (S204) I've extended the MB warranty every year, 4 years down the line I'm paying £40 a month for the warranty and am concerned given the age and mileage of the car (95k) that any failure now will likely be branded "Wear & Tear" leaving me to pick up the repair bill.

Does anyone have any real world experience to offer of dealing with a warranty claim, particularly on older/higher mileage car, as I'm considering cancelling the cover if its likely not to pay out if/when I need it.

Appreciate it.

Mark

I would say that if you're within the upper mileage limit, keep on it. You might be able to ring up and get a bit of a discount! I don't think it'd be deemed fair wear and tear if the turbo failed under the top mileage threshold. The first thing it would be is mechanical failure so they should replace it. Just be careful though ... as they have sneaked it that they don't cover 'seals' ... so if a seal goes and coincidently causes another failure, it won't be covered.

From what the warranty guy was telling me the other day (I had the same question), the car should be sound for their upper mileage limit and hence why it exists. You're paying to cover the risk of many things going wrong up until this point. I suppose over that upper mileage limit, they've calculated that more costs would be incurred for engines, gearboxes and the like and not worth covering.

It'd be your luck that you stop it now and something does go! Also, speak to your local MB dealer who processes many of the claims per week. They'll give you a good idea.

OP
M

m.p.rogers

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI (S204)
Sensible advice, I'll stick with the warranty. Thanks all

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom