Merc corrosion repair/ court cases

D

Dexteer

Hi can you help?

I own a Mercedes A Class that is one of those that has suffered corrosion. Merc offered a bad deal of 70/30 for the cost of the repair where I was requested to pay 30%

I am in a court case with Mercedes over this to claim the full amount of the repair cost and have been initially awarded in my favour for the case. Mercedes are challenging this to overturn the judgement in the court.

So I need to put papers together for the judge that evidence information to support my case t uphold the judgement.

What would help would be to have information from you on:
1. Whether you had a Mercedes that rusted?
2. Did Mercedes offer to pay full or part repair?
3. Did you enter into a court case, and did you win or loose it (what was the outcome?)

Does anyone have any information on how widespread this problem is?

Any other information would be helpful?

I understand Top Gear did a feature which I am also looking for.

In order to uphold my case I need to evidence all information I give, apparently my word is not enough.

So all help greatly welcomed.

Regards

Dexteer

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
1. yes
2. no
3. didn't bother doing anything, sold the car to a rust collector

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
to clarify my post above, it was my W202 that rusted, and it was terrible to see it rot away, i first approached MB in 2005 when the car was 10 years old, they said it was too old to run a claim against, so i promptly gave up

i sold the car 5 years later and at that point it was very rusty indeed

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
Hello and welcome.....minefield.

I have had my SL from new and had the corroding wheel arches ''done'' at MB's expense when the car was about 6.5 years old.
In my judgement the car qualified under the 30yrs. warranty but MB regarded the fix as goodwill......they alleged stone chips but that was nonsense.
The truth is that I got my car fixed at MB's expense and I didn't care how they justified that to themselves.

There is a lot of information on this Forum but I expect you will effectively need affidavits so build up your post counts in order that you can email with others who have suffered from corroding MBs.

Mic

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
My R230 (2004) showed signs of rusting on the (edge/inner) rear wheelarches.

I took it to the dealer something like 18 months ago, so it just slipped under the wire which was set at (from memory) 8 years.

I was fortunate in having an exceptional dealer (MB Harrogate) which I suspect did some fighting on my behalf, however after measuring paint depth, loads of photos, proof of ownership exceeding X months was sent off, approval for a 100% MB funded repair was given after about a week.

mark.s

MBO Forum Staff - CLS 320 (W219)
MBO Ad Sales & Partnerships
Reaction score
Website
www.mercedesclub.org.uk
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI remapped (W219)
Hi Dexteer (Pam, maiden in distress),

You spoke to me on the phone today.

As sent to you via Private message you will see a link to an old discussion on this topic, which may help.

However, I understand the importance of gathering information for this, and agree that any evidence from fellow members would help you, and others.

It would be also helpful to publish via this thread any updates you have leading up and after the case for others to take note.

Wish you all the best

Mark.

OP
D

Dexteer

Terms and conditions of 30-year warranty

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far with helpful information on your own experiences, most welcome and much appreciated. I'll be able to use the information to make my case.

Also I wondered if anyone has a copy of the 2005 issue of the terms and conditions of the 30-year Mobilio life warranty as I can't locate my copy nor track one on google. A steer to a copy would also be most welcome if that's an option.

Again thanks for all the support guys.

Pam

Benzworx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 55 amg
If you need photo's and detailed info on this subject then email me
would like to help out on this

Clive

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
hi Pam
hopefully you'll find the following thread on Rust on early A series (W169) useful,

it was sufficient to stop me from buying 2005 models and to know exactly what to look for when it comes to the welding in the doors of that car,

see here for more info

below (first photo) is a photo of the rust on one of the A series i looked at (from 2005), i think i saw quite a few and in the end opted for the so-called-fixed-a-series from 2008 with the newer welding.

in addition i'm adding photos of the different welding, the one that suffered from rust had the corrugated welding (first photo with rust, third photo without rust), whereas the 'ok' A series had smooth welding (second photo).

Attachments

• rust_on_a_series.JPG
    rust_on_a_series.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 34
  • trebeifahrerseitehinc5t.jpg
    trebeifahrerseitehinc5t.jpg
    421 KB · Views: 30
  • 21032008.jpg
    21032008.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom