Merc Kompressor 180 C CLASS -2008 Subframe problems

OP
D

Drmacf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 MERCEDES C-CLASS C180 KOMPRESSOR SE (MANUAL / PETROL)
Advise for the future:
Once I do get it repaired and sorted I still won't have confidence that the car won't fall apart, specially on the highway.

So for my peace of mind I plan to do the following
1)- Get it checked again, by another garage, MSL in Birmingham springs to mind
2) -Do something about preventing rust or corrosion, in the future. I googled it and ACF -50 comes to mind. Not sure if spraying this one would make a huge difference.
3) Seek professional help? Another one are Rustbusters in Spalding, PE11. They seem to do the whole thing but seem pretty expensive. At least may prevent the car falling apart on the M6 in 6 years time. Has anyone used them in the past? Web site link cut and pasted below
Kind regards

Mel

is RUSTBUSTERS FULL HOT FOG CORROLAN RUST PROOFING SERVICE

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
They rust from inside alongside the weld.

MJJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'09 S211 E220 Cdi manual - 216k miles and counting
Mel,

I understand the frustration and disappointment, but I think this needs to be simply accepted and move on. The subframe has lasted 13 years in a hostile environment, battered by water, salt and extreme temperatures from the exhaust. The new one will do the same, possibly better as Mercedes will have learned from experience and may have updated the part. It is true that many cars subframes last better, but it is also true that the average age of a car when scrapped is 14, and we really cannot expect manufacturers to warrant parts forever.

Those experienced in replacement of these have said that it rusts from the inside, so it is entirely possible that your MOT garage may well not notice any corrosion/failure until recently. The part weakens internally, then a significant bump/pothole exposes that weakness when part of the subframe cracks.

I am a fan of running older, cheaper cars myself - but I do accept the risk, and lack of manufacturer support that goes with that.

Martin.

OP
D

Drmacf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Guys,
Two weeks ago, during a routine maintanence check, I was told that my MB rear sub frame was severely corroded and it required to be replaced.
It's a 2008 C Class Kompressor 180

I then emailed MB- Lincoln- Listers, asking if this repair was covered under the 30 year warranty. Which they promptly declined to. I promised to take this up with them at a later stage
For the last two weeks, my independent Mb garage claims that they have ordered this part through MB Listers Lincoln and it may take another 3 weeks! As the part is not available in Germany or UK.
As a key worker, this has affected my work and life, so today out of desperation I emailed several MB dealers across the country

One of them, from the Yorkshire region, promptly replied, took down the registrarion number and said
‘Yep 244 rear sub frames available in Germany’
If you pay today, may get by the end of the week!!!
He sent me an email link, with what looks like the right price tag of 834£

So am confused and amazed.
Why is MB listers/ Lincoln and my local garage claiming it will take 3 weeks??
Why listers/ Lincoln claim there are no sub frames, when another branch claims there are 244!!!

Is the link reliable? I did email them and spoke over the phone and they seem genuine

Did MB Lincoln spite me, as I promised to complain about them?

All this seems very strange to me
Do I go ahead and pay the amount or wait for another 3 weeks??
Please do advise
Regards

Mel

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
If it's a Mercedes main dealer why the worry... just order it.
And another thing, why do MB main dealers insist on MB full service history before they entertain a rear subframe replacement? Not like its under servicable part?. If they give a 30year warranty from new and if subframes are under this?then whats the problem?? ....oh yes get out clause for not paying for it! Luckily my rear subfame is ok despite being neary 20yrs old but if did have this issue then under MB subframe issues known about then i expect to be replaced as such,

Last edited:
OP
D

Drmacf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
And another thing, why do MB main dealers insist on MB full service history before they entertain a rear subframe replacement? Not like its under servicable part?. If they give a 30year warranty from new and if subframes are under this?then whats the problem?? ....oh yes get out clause for not paying for it! Luckily my rear subfame is ok despite being neary 20yrs old but if did have this issue then under MB subframe issues known about then i expect to be replaced as such,
why do MB main dealers insist on MB full service history before they entertain

? Get out of jail free card??

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
why do MB main dealers insist on MB full service history before they entertain

? Get out of jail free card??
Usual cop out but wrong , if major components fail due to inferior contruction then morally any company has a duty of care towards their customers and to also maintain the quality of the brand?? But the bean counters seem not to bother eh?

OP
D

Drmacf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Do I go nuclear, write to MB customer service, Milton Keynes that MB Listers/ Lincoln has most likely been dishonest. In claiming that there is a shortage of rear sub frames, when there are plenty in Germany.

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
Do I go nuclear, write to MB customer service, Milton Keynes that MB Listers/ Lincoln has most likely been dishonest. In claiming that there is a shortage of rear sub frames, when there are plenty in Germany.
Well if there is plenty of subframes available that tells a story then eh? Esp in Germany. They obviously know there is an issue with them esp being a major part? I know they produce other major parts but subframes? .....really?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Well if there is plenty of subframes available that tells a story then eh? Esp in Germany. They obviously know there is an issue with them esp being a major part? I know they produce other major parts but subframes? .....really?
Have a search on the forum, a very common failure on some models. Owners have had 2008’s repaired FOC under warranty as well.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I’d email MBUK anyway and complain that the rear subframe was not fit for purpose as it’s suffered serious corrosion and is unsafe and see what they say. Members on here have had a similar experience and their MB dealer has replaced without question and not charged a penny.

Do a search on the forum for ’rear subframe corrosion’ and use that information to back-up your case with MB

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
all very good advice there , a must for anyone who has issues with subframes

OP
D

Drmacf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Have a search on the forum, a very common failure on some models. Owners have had 2008’s repaired FOC under warranty as well.
I tried this route on the 24th of August. Only to be told by MB Listers/ Lincoln, that as I had no full service history, they are sorry. Cop out.
Have cut and pasted it below

Response from Mercedes dealership- Lincoln
Thank you for your email.

If your mechanic ordered the subframe today, the part would arrive with us by Friday/Saturday next week.

If you have full Mercedes Benz dealer service history then please call Mercedes roadside assistance on 0207 975 7077,the car will be recovered to a Mercedes dealership, and you will be provided a car for the duration of the repairs.

Unfortunately, the bodywork warranty covers the main bodyshell of the vehicle and is subject to the vehicle having a full Mercedes main dealer history. The rear axle is a part that is bolted to it and is subject to environmental influence's.

If you send me your accurate mileage and what Mercedes dealerships have serviced your car, I am happy to send a report to Mercedes for any contributions.

I have included an estimate for us to carry out the repairs, should you accept the costs we can provide you with a loan car while the parts are on order, we would need the vehicle to be here on site, the parts are a special-order item so a deposit for the parts would need to be paid first to secure the order. It is purely an estimate and not a quote as vehicles of this age can have seized/corroded bolts, bushes may be perished and split which all takes more time to repair so the costs could increase.

Having the service carried out a main dealer would have highlighted the need for the subframe to be repaired long before the vehicle was deemed unusable thus saving you the additional costs you will incur while the parts are on order, as this is an item that is checked as parts of the service scope. (across all vehicles)

Also, your car passed an MOT on the 2nd of March, and corrosion does not take a few months to take hold but is progressive over a long period of time. A question needs to be asked as to why this wasn't picked up at your MOT test in March?

Please let me know what route you would like to take, and should you accept the estimate we will support you as best we can
------
Estimate
Parts 943.55 Rate
Labour 549.45

total - 1493 , with vat =1791
---------------------------

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I tried this route on the 24th of August. Only to be told by MB Listers/ Lincoln, that as I had no full service history, they are sorry. Cop out.
Have cut and pasted it below

Response from Mercedes dealership- Lincoln
Thank you for your email.

If your mechanic ordered the subframe today, the part would arrive with us by Friday/Saturday next week.

If you have full Mercedes Benz dealer service history then please call Mercedes roadside assistance on 0207 975 7077,the car will be recovered to a Mercedes dealership, and you will be provided a car for the duration of the repairs.

Unfortunately, the bodywork warranty covers the main bodyshell of the vehicle and is subject to the vehicle having a full Mercedes main dealer history. The rear axle is a part that is bolted to it and is subject to environmental influence's.

If you send me your accurate mileage and what Mercedes dealerships have serviced your car, I am happy to send a report to Mercedes for any contributions.

I have included an estimate for us to carry out the repairs, should you accept the costs we can provide you with a loan car while the parts are on order, we would need the vehicle to be here on site, the parts are a special-order item so a deposit for the parts would need to be paid first to secure the order. It is purely an estimate and not a quote as vehicles of this age can have seized/corroded bolts, bushes may be perished and split which all takes more time to repair so the costs could increase.

Having the service carried out a main dealer would have highlighted the need for the subframe to be repaired long before the vehicle was deemed unusable thus saving you the additional costs you will incur while the parts are on order, as this is an item that is checked as parts of the service scope. (across all vehicles)

Also, your car passed an MOT on the 2nd of March, and corrosion does not take a few months to take hold but is progressive over a long period of time. A question needs to be asked as to why this wasn't picked up at your MOT test in March?

Please let me know what route you would like to take, and should you accept the estimate we will support you as best we can
------
Estimate
Parts 943.55 Rate
Labour 549.45

total - 1493 , with vat =1791
---------------------------
I wouldn’t have emailed them… face to face is my preference for things like this. It can be difficult to get across in print and very easy for them to reject or ignore.

OP
D

Drmacf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I wouldn’t have emailed them… face to face is my preference for things like this. It can be difficult to get across in print and very easy for them to reject or ignore.
I wish I could meet them f2f . I am based in Birmingham, work during the weekdays in Lincoln, where the car broke down.
Work unsocial hours across Lincolnshire and at the moment have the bus and a cycle for transport.
Been bearing with all this for last two weeks but today I am fed up.
I don't mind paying for it, but even that route seems distant. As either these guys are just plain thick. Or Mb Lincoln is playing tricks, as I did warn them that I would complain to DVSA about their rotten sub frames.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Some things are better in writing.....

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
MBUK make the decisions with issues like this so I would definitely email them and get a diect response subframes are critical components and expected to last the life of the car - or are we talking the 70s here with similar metal quality to the Alfasud

OP
D

Drmacf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MBUK make the decisions with issues like this so I would definitely email them and get a diect response subframes are critical components and expected to last the life of the car - or are we talking the 70s here with similar metal quality to the Alfasud
If I click on the inquire online form of MB UK at Milton Keynes
it then asks for my post code and then offers MB Lincoln as my dealer!
So the email most likely will end up with MB Lincoln??
What’s the use? As they refused to do anything and now most likely to be sitting on the sub frame, just
to spite me

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom