Mercedes C180 sport on n reg ignition help needed

merc_kid

Reaction score
HI ppl my ignition stwich has stop working,The key won't turn at all so i went and brought a complete ignition barrel from a scrappy.and now im with two problems

First is that streeing is locked and the key wont turn...thats means i can't remove the igition barrel cuse i need to have it on postion 1....Could i drill the key hole?

Second problem is i jus contacted the ignitions leads to my barrel and i tyr to start the car but the immobilers kicks in.....How can i reprograme the new ignition barrel

many thanks for your help

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
HI ppl my ignition stwich has stop working,The key won't turn at all so i went and brought a complete ignition barrel from a scrappy.and now im with two problems

First is that streeing is locked and the key wont turn...thats means i can't remove the igition barrel cuse i need to have it on postion 1....Could i drill the key hole?

Second problem is i jus contacted the ignitions leads to my barrel and i tyr to start the car but the immobilers kicks in.....How can i reprograme the new ignition barrel

many thanks for your help
I dont understand N reg, as ive been away from uk for many years. What year is the car? and is this an electronic key?

OP
M

merc_kid

Reaction score
I dont understand N reg, as ive been away from uk for many years. What year is the car? and is this an electronic key?

It's 1996 model and has one button open and close and the key flips out mate

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
It's 1996 model and has one button open and close and the key flips out mate
OK gotcha, this is unlikely to be an ignition switch problem. Its more likely to be a lockout switch problem. There is a Bowden cable runs from the brake pedal to the gear lever and if this does not work, the ignition switch will not open. Start at the gear lever and work from there. ie Car in park ign will open, car in D or R ign will not open. I hope you understand my meaning. You dont have a faulty ign switch, but you are being blocked by the transmission lock out switch. And changing the ign switch may not help.

OP
M

merc_kid

Reaction score
OK gotcha, this is unlikely to be an ignition switch problem. Its more likely to be a lockout switch problem. There is a Bowden cable runs from the brake pedal to the gear lever and if this does not work, the ignition switch will not open. Start at the gear lever and work from there. ie Car in park ign will open, car in D or R ign will not open. I hope you understand my meaning. You dont have a faulty ign switch, but you are being blocked by the transmission lock out switch. And changing the ign switch may not help.

It's a manual 5 speed mate....

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
It's a manual 5 speed mate....
What an idiot i am, i simply assumed it was auto:rolleyes: Anyway you still have a problem because your key is programmed to the present ignition switch. If the barrell is changed the key needs Star Diagnostics to reprogramme it:!:

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
As far as i,m aware your key barrel will not require programming as your vehicle is to early for this.
What type of key fob have you got?
One button for lock/unlock and a conventional key blade flips out from the side, you,ll probably also have red and green LEDs on your rear view mirror and possibly on the drivers door as well this would indicate that you have an OEM Scorpion Alarm fitted (were fitteed as standard equipment from new), the immobiliser passively arms 30 seconds after the car has been unlocked (via key fob) but not started/ignition turned on.
lock then unlock the doors and try to start within 30 seconds.
There is a very simple way of bypassing this immobiliser but for obvious reasons i won,t go into that on here.
As far as removing your ignition switch assembly i can,t see any reason why you could,nt drill it out to enable you to turn it to free the steering lock.
I don,t think i,d use a lock puller as it might damage the area around the ignition lock.

OP
M

merc_kid

Reaction score
What an idiot i am, i simply assumed it was auto:rolleyes: Anyway you still have a problem because your key is programmed to the present ignition switch. If the barrell is changed the key needs Star Diagnostics to reprogramme it:!:

Cheers mate for the help see what i can do

OP
M

merc_kid

Reaction score
Hi,
As far as i,m aware your key barrel will not require programming as your vehicle is to early for this.
What type of key fob have you got?
One button for lock/unlock and a conventional key blade flips out from the side, you,ll probably also have red and green LEDs on your rear view mirror and possibly on the drivers door as well this would indicate that you have an OEM Scorpion Alarm fitted (were fitteed as standard equipment from new), the immobiliser passively arms 30 seconds after the car has been unlocked (via key fob) but not started/ignition turned on.
lock then unlock the doors and try to start within 30 seconds.
There is a very simple way of bypassing this immobiliser but for obvious reasons i won,t go into that on here.
As far as removing your ignition switch assembly i can,t see any reason why you could,nt drill it out to enable you to turn it to free the steering lock.
I don,t think i,d use a lock puller as it might damage the area around the ignition lock.

Hi mate yes its one button flip key...Ive tried everything but no luck the immboilers stills kicks in as soon as turn the key to start the car up

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I did,nt think you could turn the key as the ignition barrel was seized
Have you got any red/green LEDs? When you lock/unlock the car what do these LEDs do?
If everything is working correctly when you lock the car the red flashes (it will flash every 5-10 secs there after as a warning that the alarm is on), when you unlock the green should flash.
If any one of the LEDs are not working then this will cause the immobiliser to stay on.
If both the red/green LEDs flash alternatly then this maybe flat batteries in the remote. But can sometimes be cured by disconnecting/reconnecting of the battery.
I always keep a spare set of batteries in the glove box incase this happens.

OP
M

merc_kid

Reaction score
I did,nt think you could turn the key as the ignition barrel was seized
Have you got any red/green LEDs? When you lock/unlock the car what do these LEDs do?
If everything is working correctly when you lock the car the red flashes (it will flash every 5-10 secs there after as a warning that the alarm is on), when you unlock the green should flash.
If any one of the LEDs are not working then this will cause the immobiliser to stay on.
If both the red/green LEDs flash alternatly then this maybe flat batteries in the remote. But can sometimes be cured by disconnecting/reconnecting of the battery.
I always keep a spare set of batteries in the glove box incase this happens.

yes it has red and green light on the rear view mirror mate...I just the big black connenctor off my old ignition and put it on the ignition barrel i got from scrappy and when i turned the key both red and green lights start flashing.
Ithink it might be the main car battery that needs charging...Im goin to put it on charge now now try in the morning

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
worth a try, the LEDs have you not got a set in the drivers door handle as well?

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My handbook for the alarm says that when both leds are flashing that the remote batteries are flat it may still operate the locking but the remote will be flat (the alarm is more sensitive to the transmitter strength of the remote),
and double check all your leds are flashing 1 red,1 green on the mirror and 1 red, 1 green on the door as any 1 of these will prevent the immobiliser from working properly.
I,m on line all day let me know how you get on.

OP
M

merc_kid

Reaction score
My handbook for the alarm says that when both leds are flashing that the remote batteries are flat it may still operate the locking but the remote will be flat (the alarm is more sensitive to the transmitter strength of the remote),
and double check all your leds are flashing 1 red,1 green on the mirror and 1 red, 1 green on the door as any 1 of these will prevent the immobiliser from working properly.
I,m on line all day let me know how you get on.

Hi i just took my car battrey off charge and put it back in the car and i just connected electrical connection the new ignition barrel and the car started up :)
Thank you very much for your help mate

The only thing i need to do is remove my old ingition barrel which i can't cuse the key don't go to postion 1...whats the best way mate

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom