Rozgi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300h y2014
They may be better than diesel as a fuel but there is a clear link between the length of the carbon chain and the emissions of PM and NOx.
Methane as a fuel (CNG) is very clean as is propane (LPG), both cleaner than petrol. As the carbon chain lengthens so the NOx increases.
Part of this is due to increased combustion pressures and part is due to increased combustion temperatures.

It's all moot anyway. All new ICE engines will be banned in 15 years.

The NO and NO2 is a by-product of not the diesel or the long CH chain but the high temperature. Once you make your engine very efficient (using lean mixtures, oxygen surplus, etc, to gain the last 5% efficiency) AND inject fuel right into the pistons you starting to have extreme high peak burning temperatures which generate NOx. That is why the new petrols are having EGR and DPF and NOx convereters and the same king of soot problems. The legislation wanted to save us from 10-20% CO2 and gave us the misery of NOx.

Rozgi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300h y2014
Recall update...I had a supplement from Mercedes yesterday...telling me my car will use more add blue...and to be aware it may need additional topping up between services...the booklet was like a cheque book in a million languages...and it tells you to keep it with the original books supplied with the car....

Does this mean the nox sensors will start to fail as more add blue is being used?

Or is just covering their arse.... in case people start to claim...re the emissions scandal...
I do not think you need to worry about the NOx sensor and AdBlue top up. They correct the EGR operation window and other factors to make less NOx which leads to more soot (more regeneration, more consumption). Even so more soot is more wear to the cat converter as well as to the engine.

Ian Phipps

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 AMG line BlueTec Auto Estate/2015/2143cc Diesel
Anybody had a good experience of the 2019 Software update Recall?
Currently dithering whether I cba to book it into a MB Dealer.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Anybody had a good experience of the 2019 Software update Recall?
Currently dithering whether I cba to book it into a MB Dealer.
Hello and welcome

I can’t recall seeing a thread on the forum with a positive review post “upgrade”...

Ian Phipps

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 AMG line BlueTec Auto Estate/2015/2143cc Diesel
My thinking is ... if it ain't broke, don't fix it! :):)
My concern is will I get a Fail on the next MOT for Nox emissions?
It's in June so I will report back on anything exciting occurring.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Very doubtful on a 2015 car

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Very doubtful given MOTs can't test NOx levels yet.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Hello and welcome

I can’t recall seeing a thread on the forum with a positive review post “upgrade”...

its all positive, you are looking at it the wrong way !

the idea is to make it legal - whether the person purchasing the car made the right choice and if their car is more costly to run and maybe performs slightly less well is completely irrelevant. The fix is to reduce the deadly impact this hideous fuel type has on the lives of things living on the planet.

The mandatory update is ONLY about attempting to make it less dangerous ...

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

the idea is to make it legal - whether the person purchasing the car made the right choice and if their car is more costly to run and maybe performs slightly less well is completely irrelevant. The fix is to reduce the deadly impact this hideous fuel type has on the lives of things living on the planet.

You have a different viewpoint... that is all. A V8 5ltr petrol driver advising on emissions :rolleyes:

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651

The update is NOT mandatory, it's optional.

Mike Smith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 C200 Estate AMG line plus
My 2017 C300h has suffered no ill effects from the updates, the first in Nov 2019 and the second in Jan 2020.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
I think it’s like a few updates, some people will have real issues with it while the masses won’t even notice, or if they do it’s insignificant and not worth complaining over

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
You have a different viewpoint... that is all. A V8 5ltr petrol driver advising on emissions :rolleyes:
Yeah but even a 15 year old 5 Litre V8 puts out less NOx than anything but the latest diesels.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
Yeah but even a 15 year old 5 Litre V8 puts out less NOx than anything but the latest diesels.
But more CO2 than you could shake a stick at as well as other pollutants when cleaning components are removed from exhaust systems which, if discovered ARE an MOT failure... 'People in glass houses' ? :rolleyes:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
But more CO2 than you could shake a stick at as well as other pollutants when cleaning components are removed from exhaust systems which, if discovered ARE an MOT failure... 'People in glass houses' ? :rolleyes:
You forget petrol engines are actually tested on gases present in the exhaust and even with Malcolm removing secondary cats it passes MOTs with ease. Last MOT showed virtually zero CO or HC. Yes CO2 is higher with petrol engines but CO2 is relatively harmless to life in the short term compared to NOx and particulate matter.
Now we could talk about the number of people who remove EGRs and swirl flaps (both of which increase NOx) or people who knowingly refuse to install fixes to the ECU map that reduce emissions or even remap the ECU to gain more power (which increases cylinder temperatures and NOx) but we've been there before.
Bring on the day when actual emissions are tested as opposed to simply looking at diesel smoke opacity.

One of the good things about Covid-19 is how much clearer and cleaner the air is, largely due to reduced NOx.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
if u cant do yr own servicing use an indie and forget updates unless you see a problem.......

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom