Mercedes S350 - 2012 Front Brake Pin Removal Issue

Rich2166

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350
HELP REQUIRED

Can anyone help with what tools are required to remove the Front Brake Pad Pins on a S350 - Year 2012
They seem a little stuck and not moving.

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
A set of drift pins is a useful addition to a toolbox.
Something like these will help drive the brake pad pin. Other better and more expensive sets are available.
Spray liberally with WD40 or similar beforehand, then give the pin a good tap with hammer and drift pin..

OP
Rich2166

Rich2166

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350
Many Thanks for the info it’s much appreciated. Just a couple of questions.

Do you know what size brake pins are on the S350?
And should I use a small lump hammer or would a Rubber Mallet be okay?

I’ve not replaced my brakes on my Mercedes before, however things have changed so I am looking to do some repairs myself instead of the usual and having Mercedes doing the repairs.

Lastly, are there any alternative OEM Disc & Pads that can be Recommended in place of the Standard Mercedes ones Thanks!

A set of drift pins is a useful addition to a toolbox.
Something like these will help drive the brake pad pin. Other better and more expensive sets are available.
Spray liberally with WD40 or similar beforehand, then give the pin a good tap with hammer and drift pin..

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
The pins are about 4- 5mm diameter but just thinking what mine were in my last E63.
Use a lump hammer not a rubber mallet.

Any good quality discs will be OK. Brembo, Pagid, Mintex.
I'd stick with MB pads as you know they will fit unless you prefer low dust pads. Brembo make decent pads too and ECP can supply them at discount.
Feroda and TRW both make low dust pads. Check ebay for a supplier but ensure they are for your model.

Edit. You can get sets of brake pad pins from the dealer if you think you'll end up cutting yours to remove them. They should bang out with little effort with the right tools.

Last edited:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
The pins are about 4- 5mm diameter but just thinking what mine were in my last E63.

I'd stick with MB pads as you know they will fit unless you prefer low dust pads. Brembo make decent pads too and ECP can supply them at discount.
Feroda and TRW both make low dust pads. Check ebay for a supplier but ensure they are for your model.

Edit. You can get sets of brake pad pins from the dealer if you think you'll end up cutting yours to remove them. They should bang out with little effort with the tight tools.
Agreed, don’t want it bouncing back in your face…:shock:

OP
Rich2166

Rich2166

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350
Many Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to reply, the information you provided is really helpful, I will be using a lump hammer not a Rubber Mallet Yes I agree it‘s probably best to stay with the MB Pads, and from what you said, MB Pads will work fine with other Brake Discs other than MB Genuine ones.
Many Thanks!

Edit. You can get sets of brake pad pins from the dealer if you think you'll end up cutting yours to remove them. They should bang out with little effort with the right tools.

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220 CDi Sport. 2014 S-Max 2.0TDCi.
Just suffered stuck pins on the CLK when pad changing a couple of days ago. Needed a lump hammer on a drift pin (just a fraction under the pin diameter and similar style/quality to the ones linked above) and as the reduced part of the drift pin was about 12cm long it bent before the caliper pin moved. So I cut the reduced part of the drift down to about 2.5cm long... heated the caliper a little in the area of the pin's head (inner end)... and gave it an almighty whack. That shifted it enough to get started and then use another long drift. Fitted new pins/springs with the pads.

OP
Rich2166

Rich2166

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350
Thanks for the reply, I’ve not replaced the Discs & Pads on my car before, but having the Dealer take care of repairs unfortunately is not available on this occasion. So I’m going to be doing the replacement this time. I’m hoping these pins are going to be relatively easy to remove, fingers crossed.

Just suffered stuck pins on the CLK when pad changing a couple of days ago. Needed a lump hammer on a drift pin (just a fraction under the pin diameter and similar style/quality to the ones linked above) and as the reduced part of the drift pin was about 12cm long it bent before the caliper pin moved. So I cut the reduced part of the drift down to about 2.5cm long... heated the caliper a little in the area of the pin's head (inner end)... and gave it an almighty whack. That shifted it enough to get started and then use another long drift. Fitted new pins/springs with the pads.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
If they are really seized the pin will bend in the middle. If this happens do not panic. Use a dremel or similar tool to cut out the middle section of the pin, then get the pads out of the way. You can then easily drift out the thin bit of the pin, and the inner piece with the spring olive on it will come out with a fatter punch and a good whack. Clean the holes up before fitting new pins, and I apply some copperslip to the spring olive to prevent it happening again

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom