Mercedes SLK Cracked Sump

OP
P

Peterioann

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 SLK Kompressor
Trouble with that was the sumps themselves were ferrous so although a magnetic plug certainly would collect any ferrous debris, so would the inside of the sump itself as it would be magnetised by the plug. I’ve always believed the key to long engine life is regular oil/filter changes around 5k miles, regardless of what the service schedule or onboard indicator may say.
I abhor the move by some manufacturers in recent years to so called long life engine oil and extended oil/filter changes to 20k miles or more.
On my own daily hack, a C350 Cdi, I now only do around 8kpa in that, so simply go with the annual service. But even then, probably because diesels turn their oil black very quickly and which I hate to see, every 3 years about a week before the service, I use my Pela to suck out the oil and refill with fresh. I then run that for a few days and after the service, the oil on the dipstick is lovely and clean again. Paranoid maybe, but it makes me feel good and I’ve never had an engine wear out in over 50 years of driving.
My wife’s SLK and my Lotus toys probably only do around 2-3kpa each, so an annual oil/filter change on those does the job.

Thanks for explaining this.
I've just posted an update...

OP
P

Peterioann

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 SLK Kompressor
Sorry to hear of your disturbed journey, glad you arrived safely.
Thank you.
Terrifying to be honest.
I got it on dashcam. The wife was terrified. Can't believe such a positive service can end this way.
Can't help feeling, yes it's just a cover that fell but what if they were left out the suspension, steering or a wheel?

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
The Merc forum came up with a guy saying after a Merc service the sump panel that stops water splashing into the engine compartment was left loose.

That's not it's purpose. It's primarily there to smooth out the airflow beneath the car to assist with mpg's. It also cuts some of the engine noise out making it appear slightly quieter. Keeping water from splashing the engine is a by product of it being fitted for the first two reasons.
I see plenty of cars driving up the road with these panels flapping about underneath, it's a very common thing, garages should take more care.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
On the M6 today a 14 plate E-Class went past, wondered what the banging noise was until I could see underneath and his undertray was banging against the carriageway - I guess they’d just turned the stereo up...:rolleyes:

OP
P

Peterioann

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 SLK Kompressor
On the M6 today a 14 plate E-Class went past, wondered what the banging noise was until I could see underneath and his undertray was banging against the carriageway - I guess they’d just turned the stereo up...:rolleyes:

Some people would carry on driving if their roof blew off!
Just put your brolly up

Ductman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDI Estate/R171 200 SLK/Lotus Exige V6/Lotus Evora GT410 Sport
I once had a W209 CLK and after a service at MB Ascot, I just happened to be on my knees the following day fishing out something I’d dropped on the floor and which had rolled under the car. I was taken aback to see the front under tray was completely missing. I knew it must have been left off only the day before due to the clean paint all round the mounting area.
I went back to MB Ascot the following day to complain and they, at first, denied responsibility but I wasn’t backing down. Eventually the service manager came out to see me, looked under the car and told me the under tray was missing! No **** Sherlock!!

He then went into the workshop, followed by me and lo and behold, leaning against a wall in the service bay were about half a dozen under trays, one of which, it turned out, was mine. :mad:

I ranted on the spot, demanded to see the dealer principle, ranted at him, wrote a shitty letter and, having got that off my chest, refused to ever grace there workshop or showroom again. It was pure laziness on their part and clearly not a simple error as there were so many of them there.

Last edited:
OP
P

Peterioann

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 SLK Kompressor
I once had a W209 CLK and after a service at MB Ascot, I just happened to be on my knees the following day fishing out something I’d dropped on the floor and which had rolled under the car. I was taken aback to see the front under tray was completely missing. I knew it must have been left off only the day before due to the clean paint all round the mounting area.
I went back to MB Ascot the following day to complain and they, at first, denied responsibility but I wasn’t backing down. Eventually the service manager came out to see me, looked under the car and told me the under tray was missing! No **** Sherlock!!

He then went into the workshop, followed by me and lo and behold, leaning against a wall in the service bay were about half a dozen under trays, one of which, it turned out, was mine. :mad:

I ranted on the spot, demanded to see the dealer principle, ranted at him, wrote a shitty letter and, having got that off my chest, refused to ever grace there workshop or showroom again. It was pure laziness on their part and clearly not a simple error as there were so many of them there.

Oh my god.
In a time when businesses are closing left right and centre. A time when people use forums and post reviews, sharing on social media etc etc. You would thing these big companies would get a grip on customer service but nope, service is as bad as ever and the only thing they concentrate on is profit and share price.
What a shame.
This country used to pride itself on its excellent craftsmen and woman and now it's cheap crap from China and workers who are more keen to hang over the local bar than they are doing their job.
Soon there will be nowhere to go when you want a reliable job done.
Miss my old Ford Cortina that I owned back in the 80s. Did my own servicing, brakes etc etc.
Wish I could go back to the old spec car. At least you could trust yourself to tighten up your old wheel nuts....

OP
P

Peterioann

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 SLK Kompressor
****UPDATE****
Emailed AC with details and sure enough got a call at 8.30 this morning to get my car down to them- they even offered to collect it.
They took it in right away after apologising several times
Two hours later I'm driving home all sorted.
You know, we are human and all make mistakes. The main thing is that things are put right
Just glad it's all sorted- fingers crossed.
After everything, if you asked me to choose between MB and AC, I would still choose AC a thousand times over.

Top Bottom