Mercedes vaneo 2002

David Elukpo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vaneo ambient 2002
Hi pls I need help. I noticed about 2 weeks ago my mercedes vaneo 2002 will not start. Lights come on and are very bright, battery checked with voltage tester and is ok. It happens in the mornings. After a while it comes on without any problem and works for about 2 days and I am back to it again. Pls what do I do next?

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
You don't explain what is happening when it doesn't start.

Does it click but no rotation from the starter motor? You would hear it rotating.

Can you hear the starter motor rotating, at normal speed?

OP
D

David Elukpo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vaneo ambient 2002
There is no sound at all coming from the engine nor from the starter motor.
The lights are working fine and dash board light comes on and there is no light dining when I turn the ignition to start the car.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Best would be to have it diagnosed on Star or other good quality kit. This assumes that a 2002 motor is fully OBD compliant.

A good voltage doesn't always mean the battery has the ability to start, but you hear no sound when you try. It suggests the solenoid isn't engaging.
Fuse Box Diagram Mercedes-Benz Vaneo (2002-2005)

There is possibility that starter inhibit relay K38 is the issue,
but I see in the fuse rack there is possibility.

Otherwise I would work back from the starter motor ensuring 1st that there is voltage at the starter (heavy duty terminal and chassis), and then at the solenoid terminal when a start is attempted.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom