Mercedes W212 e220 cdi blueefficiency ABS ESP light on intermittently

rajenpandya

Reaction score
Hi all,

I hope someone can give me some advice, apologies if this is long winded, but I am at my wits end. My Merc W212 has developed a problem over the last 2 months where when you start the car the ABS ESP light comes on and says cruise control not available visit workshop. It starts, but will not go into gear and then the fan kicks in, then the radio or heating controls don't work and one of the headlights comes on. If I leave the car for a couple of hours then no problem it will start and work all day until the next day. The problem seems to be getting worse, where some days it will not go into gear all day

I have ran diagnostics with Launch and Star Diagnostics and the only thing it came with was p050031 speed sensor 1 has a malfunction. The signal is not present. I have changed both front speed sensors, both batteries, main and axillary and also sent the ABS ECU off for testing and it came back after testing with no faults. I also sprayed electrical contact cleaner on the connector and also sprayed brake cleaner and WD40 into where the speed sensor fits.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Did you change with genuine speed sensors?

OP
R

rajenpandya

Reaction score
I used a bosch replacement for sensor 1 and a second hand genuine for sensor 2

OP
R

rajenpandya

Reaction score
Further update, I refitted the ABS ECU after having it tested and after clearing all codes it starts with no lights and goes into gear. I will check again in the morning

OP
R

rajenpandya

Reaction score
Further update after getting the ABS ECU tested and refitting and clearing all codes the car starts and goes into gear with no faults. I will check again in the morning

OP
R

rajenpandya

Reaction score
Does anyone reckon updating the ECU software ?

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom