Mercedes Windscreen chip

Mblackham97

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
AMG Line Executive/ 2023 / 1.3L
I have had my car 2 months, only driven 2,000 miles and already had two chips on my windscreen, the first was a small chip I thought best to get replaced and put it down to just bad luck. But yesterday I have had a chip, albeit small leave a large crack that is now going down the passenger side. I have contacted Mercedes who said they would not be able to do anything and to go through insurance. Insurance will only insure Autoglass who are recommending it just to get replaced.

I would have thought this is now more coincidence than bad luck, I have been driving 5 years and never had a crack on my old Renault Clio, now two cracks appear on my brand new Mercedes.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome,

Stones happen, state of the roads don't help with increased potholes leading to more stones for vehicles in front to fling up at you. I once had a screen cracked on a car at 250 miles from new - it happens unfortunately and Mercedes can't be to blame.

You do need to ensure the calibration is done for the sensors in the windscreen

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Pure coincidence, I’m afraid. I didn’t have any problems in seven years, and over 79k miles, with my C207. I’ve had my current car for over four years and had to get the windscreen replaced (by Autoglass who did a great job, including the recalibration) last year when a speeding motorbike, going the other way, threw up a stone which cracked the windscreen beyond repair. I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Welcome to the forum and the world of Mercedes.

curious

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Only the Vito left! W639/1 OM646
Do insist they use an original 'Mercedes' windscreen rather than an aftermarket one.

I sent one Autoglass guy packing when he rocked up with some grotty looking thing that was even the wrong colour.
That was on a 10 year old Vito. You don't want that on a 2 month old car.

Alps

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 E63s S213, SOLD - 2013 Weistec E63 AMG, SOLD - 2004 E55 (x2)
Insist on genuine mercedes Glass, as the car is under 3 years old they will do this at no extra cost.

I have mine booked in next week for a genuine windscreen, but as mine is 4 years old its costing me £480 for a genuine screen.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Coincidence I’m afraid, I replaced two screens on my previous S211 within three months of each other due to stones flying

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Insist on genuine mercedes Glass, as the car is under 3 years old they will do this at no extra cost.

I have mine booked in next week for a genuine windscreen, but as mine is 4 years old its costing me £480 for a genuine screen.
Autoglass put a non-OEM one in mine and I can’t tell the difference except it doesn’t have a signature. Someone on here once said that tooling costs for windscreens are so high that they’re all made in the same place regardless.

Mind cost me a £190 excess with LV.

Simon Barry

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 215
Do not windscreens on modern MB still carry structural load & have to bond under controlled conditions when fitted ?

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Just another issue made harder/more expensive by modern methods.. And UK shxte roads soon we will need to buy, fit deflectors. I want sunak to pay, his mob are the ones collecting my cash.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Do not windscreens on modern MB still carry structural load & have to bond under controlled conditions when fitted ?
Yes, as do most modern cars. A reputable fitter will do all that.

Alps

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
also They will only replace mine at an auto glass centre, most probably due to the camera recalibration.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.

You should only pay the delta between genuine and the other.

curious

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You should only pay the delta between genuine and the other.
I didn't, and don't feel you should have to. Insurance is to reinstate you in the position you were in before the incident. Replacing with a cheaper item doesn't do that.
There may be a small difference with the excess, in a similar manner when getting other damage repairs at main dealer or the insurers preferred choice of bodyshop.

Someone alluded in an earlier post to there being a difference between 3 and 4 years. Not sure why age years makes a difference in terms of getting an original or aftermarket windscreen.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I didn't, and don't feel you should have to. Insurance is to reinstate you in the position you were in before the incident. Replacing with a cheaper item doesn't do that.
There may be a small difference with the excess, in a similar manner when getting other damage repairs at main dealer or the insurers preferred choice of bodyshop.

Someone alluded in an earlier post to there being a difference between 3 and 4 years. Not sure why age years makes a difference in terms of getting an original or aftermarket windscreen.
mmm, I think that that was my point. e.g. MB screen £800, aftermarket £450, insurance only pays aftermarket you pay £350 (ignoring excesses).

I had an excess premium for genuine MB parts - they would repair the car but if I wanted only genuine MB the excess went up £200.

curious

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mmm, I think that that was my point. e.g. MB screen £800, aftermarket £450, insurance only pays aftermarket you pay £350 (ignoring excesses).

I had an excess premium for genuine MB parts - they would repair the car but if I wanted only genuine MB the excess went up £200.
My comment meant you shouldn't have to pay the £350 in your example. Only a potentially slightly larger excess, not £350 + excess.
When I forced the issue with my Vito it was the same excess after the arguments concluded.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
My comment meant you shouldn't have to pay the £350 in your example. Only a potentially slightly larger excess, not £350 + excess.
When I forced the issue with my Vito it was the same excess after the arguments concluded.
That is my point :). I didn’t understand that you had the option to pay a larger excess (for genuine parts) like I had on my SL400. ;)

Alps

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I know its bonkers, but that seems to be the case, be interesting to know if anyone has got the insurance to pay out fully ? also depends on the insurance company!

So I got a call and had it booked in for yesterday morning, drove to the auto glass centre, they were prepping up a windscreen as I parked up noticing it wasn't a MB one, so thought maybe not for my car, fitter comes over tells me "you know you will loose the signature" to which I replied"not with the Genuine screen I ordered" , his face dropped as the wrong screen was sent! glad I checked the screen before they fitted it.

So another wait till they figure out what happened, I think some lucky git got a genuine screen fitted my mistake !

A Tesla driver was also sent away as his screen hadn't arrived, fitter wasn't happy as im sure most of them get paid per job.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom