ML 270 Twittering noise

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270
My motor has developed a twittering noise when I set off and it continues up to about 30 mph. If I set off with the least amount of throttle as possible say going down slight gradient it won’t do it. But driving away steadily up to about 30-40 mph it does,

If I drive along at 20 mph and change from 1st to 2nd to 3rd back to 2nd and back to 1st altering rev’s of engine and gear box the noise continues with the same beat so to speak so I think its not engine or gearbox.

Once again any help would be much appreciated

Kevin
PS could I complete 120 mile journey tomorrow

Last edited:

Andy Wr

Reaction score
I removed a twig from above the engine shield after my off roading adventure, the noise was driving me nuts and I thought it was something really serious, I think it was occasionally touching a drive shaft or propr shaft.

OP
kebo57

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270
Twittering up date

Thanks for the reply
I'm going to condense the thread the noise is at low speeds when accelerating, more accelerator more noise, I’ve checked all the drive shafts bearings, prop shaft, wheel bearings all seem to be at normal running temperature also idler pulley seems ok.
But there was a certain amount of heat in the front alternator bearing not enough that you couldn’t keep your hand on it.

Also run motor on two post ramp wheel of floor foot on brake lightly though to stop abs throwing a wobbler but couldn’t create the noise

Kevin

PS I’m running to email address so there is some times a delay when I reply

Last edited:

greenfingers

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Previously:- ML270, 3 x Vito Dualiners, SLC450
I've been reading on this forum about problems with ML270 engine mountings.
Some folk have been replacing them every 30k miles or so - if you are on 150k miles, when were yours last done?
I recall spending months trying to diagnose a horrendous noise on my old Reliant Scimitar GTE, which turned out to be the fan hitting the chassis due the engine moving under torque, thanks to knackered engine mountings.

OP
kebo57

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270
ML 270 engine mount's

I've been reading on this forum about problems with ML270 engine mountings.
Some folk have been replacing them every 30k miles or so - if you are on 150k miles, when were yours last done?
I recall spending months trying to diagnose a horrendous noise on my old Reliant Scimitar GTE, which turned out to be the fan hitting the chassis due the engine moving under torque, thanks to knackered engine mountings.

Hi greenfingers I don't no when they were last changed I still have the noise doesn't seem to be any worse and it doesn't sound to serious but I haven't located it yet could be something like you have pointed out Ive got a new drive belt power steering, aircon etc but not got round to fitting it yet I'll check the engine mount's like you said but I don’t think its them I recon it something rotating like prop joints, belt tension pulley bearing, maybe cv on drive shaft. :cool:

Kevin

OP
kebo57

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270
ML 270 front prop shaft Hardy Spicer

Hi to all once again I am in need of some advice regarding the front prop shaft Hardy Spicer needle roller joint replacements.

I always seem to be on the receiving end of information from this site but it is very much appreciated

I have a drawing that MB have emailed me showing both props the drawing shows only one Hardy Spicer item No 53 that is relating to the doughnut joint does anybody no if this Hardy Spicer will fit all the other joint ei front prop joint

I will try and attach the drawing that MB sent I have tried but could not manage it (any help with this one also)

Would this joint be of standard dimensions? Thus allowing me to obtain from none MB.

PS MB wont to sell me a new prop shaft £385.00 approx, Hardy Spicer £48.00 +vat

Kevin

OP
kebo57

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270
Hi to all once again I am in need of some advice regarding the front prop shaft Hardy Spicer needle roller joint replacements.

I always seem to be on the receiving end of information from this site but it is very much appreciated

I have a drawing that MB have emailed me showing both props the drawing shows only one Hardy Spicer item No 53 that is relating to the doughnut joint does anybody no if this Hardy Spicer will fit all the other joint ei front prop joint

I will try and attach the drawing that MB sent I have tried but could not manage it (any help with this one also)

Would this joint be of standard dimensions? Thus allowing me to obtain from none MB.

PS MB wont to sell me a new prop shaft £385.00 approx, Hardy Spicer £48.00 +vat

Kevin
Hi back again but with the attachement to simplify matters does anyone know the part No for the front Hardy Spicer joint. Just click to enlarge the image below.
Kevin
1.jpg

Reaction score
check that it is not a heat guard on the exhaust manifold. I had one that was chattering away until it was persuaded not to.

OP
kebo57

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270
check that it is not a heat guard on the exhaust manifold. I had one that was chattering away until it was persuaded not to.

There is play in the Hardy Spices on the front prop these need to be changed I've been under and checked also creating vibration.

Kevin

benzdriver737

Reaction score
ML270 twittering noise

Not sure if this will help....
sometime ago my ML270 had a 'twittering noise'.
Turned out to be the manifold gasket leaking.
Noise would stop once the engine warmed up.
Noise was only present when engine was cold.
Noise stopped once the engine warmed up. (and the manifold expanded)
Local dealership diagnosed the 'twittering noise' as a loose rear view mirror.
Local mechanic diagnosed 'leaking manifold gasket'.
New gasket fixed the noise.
good luck,!

OP
kebo57

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270
Twittering conclusion

There is play in the Hardy Spices on the front prop these need to be changed I've been under and checked also creating vibration.

Kevin
Hi all I never got back to you all with the conclusion to this thread. I thought that the play I felt in the prop was the Hardy Spicers, But I was wrong the twittering noise was the centre ball joint between the Hardy Spicers that was dry (no grease).
Anyway it developed the vibration got worse started knocking then realy knocking had to limp home, when I droped the prop the centre ball joint between the Hardy Spicers had failed the outer caseing had split, its not a part that can be replaced it was this all along the Hardy Spicers still had life left in them, I tried to get the whole end unit replaced, prop rebalanced but you cant get the part
I replaced the whole prop for £295.00+vat. MB was 286.00+vat for the half that I needed.
So thanks once again for all those who tried to help me:D

Kevin

panason1c

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes ML270CDI, VW Polo 1.9tdi, BMW K1200RS
Thanks for the update....appreciated.

greenfingers

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Glad you got it sorted, and hopefully at least that problem shouldn't crop up again.
Do you have any idea what caused this failure? The mention of low ratio makes me wonder if you do a lot of off-roading?

OP
kebo57

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270
Ml 270 prop

Glad you got it sorted, and hopefully at least that problem shouldn't crop up again.
Do you have any idea what caused this failure? The mention of low ratio makes me wonder if you do a lot of off-roading?
I think its because of the milage 158k also you cant grease the thing with out stripping the Hardy Spicer, the ball casing was damaged I lost some of it so Im not sure how you would seperate that the guyes at North west propshafts a coppull would probably no this

Kevin

Last edited:

Andy Wr

Reaction score
Very interesting and thanks for posting Kev, keep us informed of any further developments please.

greenfingers

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The mention of low ratio makes me wonder if you do a lot of off-roading?

Sorry, I read that bit from your other thread about ' jumped out of gear'.

Anyway, 157k miles seems like reasonable service for a prop shaft joint - especially if has been subjected to the extra loads associated with off-roading.

OP
kebo57

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270
Sorry, I read that bit from your other thread about ' jumped out of gear'.

Anyway, 157k miles seems like reasonable service for a prop shaft joint - especially if has been subjected to the extra loads associated with off-roading.
Hi greenfingers I do a lot of off-roading some 30 event's last year but with a Landrover CCV motor, not the ML. I have the 814 box van to transport the Landrover my ML is for back up & work, some fast journeys down to Kent etc just got back hence the delay with this reply
I'd used the low box on some land that we were using to set a trial out I couldn't find anyone so I had to drive all over the place.
Kevin

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom