ml 320 rear coil springs

2SSB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml 320 1999
Hi all me again havent been in a while as have had no probs
But now my ml 320 has failed mot due to rear springs fractured
Would like to know can i replace just the springs , cos mercedes only sell the complete unit shock absorber and coil spring together @ £275 each and i need both found 2 coil springs on ebay for £174 help please

Last edited:

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
They do come as a pair, i have heard you can buy just the springs, dont ask me where tho!!

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
another stupid (forgive me) MB design. spring, shock and ball joint all in one. any one of the three fails and you need the lot!!!

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
There is absolutely NO reason for replacing the damper units when needing only springs. If you can source a pair of springs, go for it. It is no different to replacing the American supplied KYB dampers with the much superior Bilstein units, using the old springs - as I have done.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
have a look on ebay, about £180 per pair, delivered. loads on there too...

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
Can you let us know how you get on as I need to do one on the back of my ML430. Thanks Dave.

I have heard comments to suggest that you should replace in pairs - not really sure why if the other one is still good but maybe if one is gone, the other isn't too far behind or maybe sagged a little.

OP

2SSB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml 320 1999
Hi Oigle
yeah both sides have gone so double work

ta Rick

OP

2SSB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml 320 1999
ml320 rear springs

Hi all just to let you know that i found a garage just search www.mercarparts .co.uk they have a great range of spares

OP

2SSB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml 320 1999
ML coil springs

Can you let us know how you get on as I need to do one on the back of my ML430. Thanks Dave.

Hi Dave
did my springs today, not a bad job best to replace both tho , and make sure you know someone with a decent coil spring compressor , mines ok for vw springs but no chance on ml springs you could use them on a ****** tank there that strong but well worth it get a couple of fosters ready for when you finish your gonna need it ..................

regards Rick

OP

2SSB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml 320 1999
thanx

ta to all those who gave there input on my ML320 coil springs

Ta Rick

Stomper

Reaction score
Hi all just to let you know that i found a garage just search www.mercarparts .co.uk they have a great range of spares

Glad job went O.K. for you as heard it can be a pain (hope mine goes as easy when I get round to it !) Quick question - did you go for the eBay or mercarparts springs. If the latter how much are they charging for a pair as I will probably end up doing both on mine ? Thanks Dave.

OP

2SSB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml 320 1999
Glad job went O.K. for you as heard it can be a pain (hope mine goes as easy when I get round to it !) Quick question - did you go for the eBay or mercarparts springs. If the latter how much are they charging for a pair as I will probably end up doing both on mine ? Thanks Dave.

got mine from mercparts

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
eurocar parts sell the ml320 springs for £120 a pair ;)
As i recently discovered, many parts they sell are the same make as mb but at least half the price.
Must be the genuine MB plastic bags and cardboard that adds so much more to the cost ?

Stomper

Reaction score
make sure you know someone with a decent coil spring compressor , mines ok for vw springs but no chance on ml springs you could use them on a ****** tank there that strong but well worth it get a couple of fosters ready for when you finish your gonna need it ..................

regards Rick

Did mine this afternoon after getting a spring from GSF (£60 + vat for a LESJÖFORS spring which has the Mercedes part no stamped on it !). Arms aching now due to how tight you have to wind the spring compressors to get the shock out.
I would advise if someone is going to change theirs that they get hold of a 13mm ratchet type spanner as the three nuts at the top of the strut are a pain as not enough clearance to fit a socket and ratchet on them and a set of good spring compressors as serious torque on them by the time spring compressed.
Followed Malcolm's instruction sheet and job went smooth enough. Many thanks to all who gave advice regarding changing springs (including having a couple of cans waiting for jobs end LOL).

1999ML320

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 ML320
ML320 shock absorber replacement

I need your advice, please. I have just got a 1999 ML320 from a friend of mine leaving the town. 80K miles. As it feels bouncy, I plan to replace the shock abosorbers. Is it a huge deal to do this, and better to ask professional to handle, or it is something I can handle? I have experience with Toyota, Ford, and BMW, but I am a bit scared with German made cars from my experience with BMW.

1999ML320

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 ML320
Wow - thank you for the prompt advice. These diagrams are helpful - although I cannot read Russian (cool!). Do I need a special spring compressor to do the rear? Or normal one is OK? As for shock absorbers, I plan to buy ones from Bilstein (~$110 for front, ~$160 for rear). Any suggestions, please?

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
Wow - thank you for the prompt advice. These diagrams are helpful - although I cannot read Russian (cool!). Do I need a special spring compressor to do the rear? Or normal one is OK? As for shock absorbers, I plan to buy ones from Bilstein (~$110 for front, ~$160 for rear). Any suggestions, please?

Bilstein are great.
Rear shockers are quite a job. Need a good set of compressors as spring is tightly wound and very strong. Need to remove spare wheel carrier to access the top of the struts. About 5 hours work first time around. Good luck.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom