ML Front offside shock

maldon

Reaction score
Just got my 04 ML back after service at 26000

According to the stealership - discs and pads will need replacement before next service. I don't dispute that - does it make sense to have the work done by an indie or will it void any warranty?

Second thing is that the front offside shocker needs replacing. Car is not three years old and has nothing special by way of mileage.

I'm inclided to go and shout at them for a gratis replacement as I don't feel that a shocker should need replacement at this tender age.

Will I just make myself hoarse?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
As for the shocker it may depend upon your relationship with you dealer. As shocks are counted as service items so unless there is a manufacturing problem warranty would not cover it.
When is the warranty up as you signature has an 03 ML and the post has 04 ML?

OP
M

maldon

Reaction score
Blobcat, the car was actually registered 16 Mar 2004.

Am going to try and discuss this shocker with dealership - they have been quite helpful (on the sales side).... Actually, I never did like the look of if the discs when I bought the car.

I did try a couiple of times for new set all round but was fobbed off with service dept reckon min 6-7000 miles in them and on that basis they would not re-new.

At end of the day, did get the car at a very good price - i'm very pleased with it - just wonder whether it will really make sense for me to have the disks/pads done by the stealer -vs- indie (MainlyMercs who I reckon are a decent bunch of blokes anyway.)

OP
M

maldon

Reaction score
Spoke with salesman and then service dept.

They will fit a new shocker next week - foc.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Excellent, you should ask if they will replace the discs whilst the wheels are off. Say you will buy the parts and see if they will do a deal on the labour.

panason1c

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes ML270CDI, VW Polo 1.9tdi, BMW K1200RS
Blobcat said:
Excellent, you should ask if they will replace the discs whilst the wheels are off. Say you will buy the parts and see if they will do a deal on the labour.

Not intending to be pedantic but the wheels dont need to come off to replace an ML front shock absorber....you dont even have to jack it up as there is enough room to undo the lower nut with the car on the ground!....Just two nuts (one at the top and one at the bottom) to remove and the s/a comes off........I renewed both my fronts and it took about 10 minutes per side from start to finish!

To date, i have renewed the heater plugs, all discs and pads, automatic transmission, transfer box and starter motor plus various bits and pieces and i have to say that in all my previous 30 years as a motor mechanic i find that the ML is one of the easiest vehicles to work on!

psmart

Reaction score
panason1c said:
and i have to say that in all my previous 30 years as a motor mechanic i find that the ML is one of the easiest vehicles to work on!
I 2nd that, not being a motor mechanic, but having stripped and rebuilt engines, back axles etc on various cars Ive owned, I was incredibly suprised how easily the ML came apart and it was actually a joy to work on. It looks intimidating because of its size, but like most things size orientated, dont let it fool you!

Thanks for the good tip, Panason1c, re:shocks. If there that easy, will get them changed, there still good after 6 years, but a bit of preventative medicine is probably sound advise.

Maldon... not being farcecious, but do you drive over a lot of potholes? The state of the roads in the UK is appalling, and quite often its very difficult to avoid potholes etc, but if you dont try to avoid them, them the suspension wont fair or last very long.

OP
M

maldon

Reaction score
Sorry PSMart, did not see your reply - no - I try to avoid them and the car has only ever been driven slowly off road by me.

Leaving the car at the stealers tonight for the new shocker (I though from my youth and reluctantly going into Kwik fit, that shockers can onlybe replaced as a pair........)

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom