ML270 Steering Rack Bushing Replacement

Andy McMullan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270 CDI 2001
Hi Everyone

My ML270 has worn steering rack bushings. Can anyone give me any tips on replacing them? I've checked online and can't find any info so far.

Do I need to disconnect the tie rods or anything? Maybe wishful thinking that it's a simple bolt on bolt off job.

Cheers, Andy

OP
A

Andy McMullan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270 CDI 2001
Just to be clear these are the bushings where the rack mounts on to the chassis.

Cheers

OP
A

Andy McMullan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270 CDI 2001
In case anyone else is doing this job, I got some info that the bushes just come out with the rack in-situ. No additional dismantling required.

It looks like there are shims on one side of the rack between the bolt and the rubber. There is likely 2 of them, one thin and one thick and they need to put back in exactly the same way.

50 NM of torque on the bolts. Hopefully the bushes arrive tomorrow so I'll gt cracking on it.

OP
A

Andy McMullan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270 CDI 2001
The bolts for the differential had to come out to allow access to the steering rack bushings. The diff could then be raised up and the steering rack moved out of position.

No other dismantling was required.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom