#MLW164 320CDI - Strangeness at 1600 rpm

Duncan Poundcake

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML W164 320 CDI (2008)
Starting from cold and driving off (Not aggressively) at around 1600 rpm the engine protests, jerks and loses power. Back off the power and it is OK. Power through 1600 rpm - gently - it recovers. As soon as the engine temp hits 40-45C, any jerkiness disappears and it drives as good as gold.

Clearly heat cold and hot effects it but could the cause be injectors? Is there a gear shift or turbo at 1600 rpm?

Any insights would be very welcome.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Starting from cold and driving off (Not aggressively) at around 1600 rpm the engine protests, jerks and loses power. Back off the power and it is OK. Power through 1600 rpm - gently - it recovers. As soon as the engine temp hits 40-45C, any jerkiness disappears and it drives as good as gold.

Clearly heat cold and hot effects it but could the cause be injectors? Is there a gear shift or turbo at 1600 rpm?

Any insights would be very welcome.
You really could do with a start point of getting the fault codes read first buddy .

OP
D

Duncan Poundcake

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML W164 320 CDI (2008)
I know, I now. Being lazy. It's grey, it's wet and I don't want to go outside. Recently had a lot of work done on the fuel system so this was a bit of a bummer.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I know, I now. Being lazy. It's grey, it's wet and I don't want to go outside. Recently had a lot of work done on the fuel system so this was a bit of a bummer.
I know how you feel buddy . A lot of us have the icarsoft MBII which is good value for giving a start point for faults .

OP
D

Duncan Poundcake

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML W164 320 CDI (2008)
I know how you feel buddy . A lot of us have the icarsoft MBII which is good value for giving a start point for faults .
I have a Xentry, it's pretty good. I'll pull some codes in the morning and see what horrors await.

OP
D

Duncan Poundcake

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML W164 320 CDI (2008)
Sooo it started after the work ..???
Did the work include the fuel pump in the tank..?
No but the pressure and flow was tested and it was spot on.

OP
D

Duncan Poundcake

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML W164 320 CDI (2008)
This is true but the fuel pressure and flow was tested numerous times and was spot on all the way up to the injectors when all put back together.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom