Mobile body shop

scorpio stu

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E230 Estate 1997 P reg in Silver & Navy Chrylser PT Cruiser with all the chrome
Has anyone ever used a mobile body shop that does the work at your home. I have a back wing that needs knocking out and spraying. I assume they are going to be cheaper as they don't have the over heads. I live in IG9 Essex/ London borders.

Thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The snag here is that doing this at home would not be a very good repair as you cannot do a good job in the open

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Modern bodyshops spray in a sealed oven. I'd imagine doing it outside in the rain and damp would leave you open to a range of issues and you'll end up with fogging and peeling paintwork.
I suspect they can only do small areas like stone chips and dings outside.

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
I think most of those mobile types do a max damage area of 2 inches, but as above, if theres spray work involved it really needs to be done in a clean room, then low bake

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
The snag here is that doing this at home would not be a very good repair as you cannot do a good job in the open

i did my paint job in dads garage. the floor gets quite dusty, i didnt sweep it out! theres no heating in there of any kind, except sun on the roof etc, and it turned out ok. it is, however, dry and fairly draught free. damp is probably the worst enemy of paint, as regards the elements. silicone is THE worst though, that ive come across!

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
He could be good at what he does, outside repairs and painting can be done very well if the guy who is doing the repirs knows what he is doing
Last year we painted a lorry for a customer, outside, made acover from plastic sheeting tied it down put in a blow heater and it wsa as snug and warm as any oven..turned out a fantastic job and actually looked a lot cleaner than some of the jobs we do take a lot of care with..tho it was white and white always looks good freshly painted

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
I've done a few panels outside, and though very risky and prob not ideal, they come out ok. I've had some concerns about matching exact colour but if i were inside under fluorescent lights I prob wouldn't have been able to tell. If you do on a dry warm day with a very slight breeze (helps take away over spray) got a much cleaner finish.

Just always the risk of a fly (I hung several fly papers up) and bird sh1t in the fresh paint. (kept the cat in the garden). But all in all thoroughly enjoyed doing it. And great to watch the paint / lacquer flash in seconds in the hot sun.

rob the painter

Reaction score
The mobile boys tend to use 1k air dry products that go dull after a few washes. I have yet to see a job they do that's worth the money. For another 30/40 pounds a professional bodyshop would do an excellent job that would last for years to come. Buy cheap, buy twice.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The mobile boys tend to use 1k air dry products that go dull after a few washes. I have yet to see a job they do that's worth the money. For another 30/40 pounds a professional bodyshop would do an excellent job that would last for years to come. Buy cheap, buy twice.

I agree completely with you, and false economy

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
..except to find one that talks in multiples of ten is a challenge. I asked several about spraying a bonnet and was always quoted multiples of hundreds.

OP
S

scorpio stu

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
With all your helpfull comments in mind can anyone recommend a decent body shop greater London/Essex borders.
I have been to one who quoted £400 - £450 for cash just for the rear quarter panel.

Thanks

OP
S

scorpio stu

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have the paint code for the car 744 brilliant silver,are there different shades of brilliant silver or should they all be the same. I ask as I am collecting a door that is brilliant silver so hoping its the same.
Thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes they are all the same,,, I have many parts in 744 from a 129,208 170 and 230 not any difference at all over a wide year span

OP
S

scorpio stu

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for that Malcolm. The person I was getting the door from has decided he wants to keep it now so I am on the look out again.
With the paint code.The car is 744 but what about the trims in the bumper and the trim in a trim (if you know what I mean) on the doors. Parts are brilliant silver but bits of them like the bumper corners seem to be a different shade.
Hope have explained it well enough.

Stu

OP
S

scorpio stu

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Anyone know what the colour match should be for the mouldings on the brilliant silver door ?

OP
S

scorpio stu

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 P reg E230 Estate Brilliant silver paint code 744. The moulding seem a slightly different colour.
Thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Your MB dealer should be able to give you the code or a body shop can for the bumpers.

These parts have a matting agent mixed 10% with the paint,,you cannot buy this in aerosol form and it may pay you to flat the finished paint with a 1500 paper, and not polish too much, it could then look something lake the original

F

fabes

Hi

Just to return to the original question (sorry for the late entrant here) but this lot I have used on company cars and indeed they did some vandal damage on mine ayear ago

So far the Acc Management company are happy, so are the lease company and insurers (on dozens of cars)

They seem to have a good compromis eIF not having the car off the road for days is an issue.
http://www.autorestore.uk.com/home.htm

Fabes

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom