More problems Battery?

marlowboy

Reaction score
Hi all, if anyone was interested…..finally got my Coil Springs fitted, all good fun!
whilst it’s been off the road, 4 Weeks(!) I had a few pretty lights come on Dash, ABS ESP etc, local Garage replaced the Rear ABS sensor, had to drill it out! that put all the lights out, great! Driving home, Red Battery Workshop light illuminates, wonderful. Checked Volts and shows following, Front 12.59 12.4 running! Rear 12.4 and 13.98 running. Help, if Alternator was faulty would it show one Battery charging and one not? Is my rear battery ready to be replaced? I’ve also checked Boot and N/S Floor, all seem dry………

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Alty seems to be fine as you are getting 14v to the rear battery. Seems like something that sends juice to the front battery is shot.
Need the codes read pal.

Sometimes all these issues can and do crop up at once.

What model car is it. maybe someone familiar with the model had similar and can shed some light.

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Check the date of your batteries, should be stamped on one of the posts. I had a lot of weird problems then found out mine was almost 11 years old. Changed it for another new 100ah Varta about 2 years back and since all clear (shouldn't have said that :confused: ).

OP
marlowboy

marlowboy

Reaction score
Alty seems to be fine as you are getting 14v to the rear battery. Seems like something that sends juice to the front battery is shot.
Need the codes read pal.

Sometimes all these issues can and do crop up at once.

What model car is it. maybe someone familiar with the model had similar and can shed some light.
Thanks for replies. It’s. 2004 SL 350 R320. Love it!

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
12.4 volts is very low

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
Lovely. Is your battery also 2004?
If so change it before the winter comes.

OP
marlowboy

marlowboy

Reaction score
I assume the readings I got are ok for the Rear Battery, its the Front Starter Battery I need to replace…….probably?

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
I assume the readings I got are ok for the Rear Battery, its the Front Starter Battery I need to replace…….probably?
Not necessarily, if your front battery is reading just below optimum 12.6v at 12.59v, I wouldn't expect the battery charging module to be pushing any significant additional charge in there, Check the Date of the battery as @Oldspanners has suggested at post #3?

OP
marlowboy

marlowboy

Reaction score
Me again…..just back from getting the MOT done all good. They checked my Front Battery for me with their super duper machine and it shows that Battery is Good.12.92v. Starter Test showed Normal 10.63v but charging shows Low, 12.67v. It is indeed an old Batery. So with this figures would folks go for Battery or Alternator…please don’t tell me both! thank you again!

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Me again…..just back from getting the MOT done all good. They checked my Front Battery for me with their super duper machine and it shows that Battery is Good.12.92v. Starter Test showed Normal 10.63v but charging shows Low, 12.67v. It is indeed an old Batery. So with this figures would folks go for Battery or Alternator…please don’t tell me both! thank you again!
The battery needs to be changed, it's that that finally smooths out the voltage. Mine started my car in mid winter after a week sitting about no problem and after I replaced it, I used it to start a neighbours car after it had sat for weeks in a barn.

OP
marlowboy

marlowboy

Reaction score
Okay, Battery it is then, than you!

Top Bottom