MOT fail fuel injectors

markg14

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class Sport C220 CDI 2007
My local MB dealer tells me that my C220 CDI Sport needs 2 new injectors and seals, otherwise it will fail the MOT.

Their inspection has revealed that there is evidence that 2 of the injector seals are perished and leaking, and they recommend replacing the injectors and seals.

I have recently noticed a slight smell of diesel when the car is stationary and idling, which would confirm that the seals on the injectors are failing.

But on a recent run from Essex to York, the car returned 58mpg, which I considered good for an engine that has covered over 275,000 miles.

The car pulls strongly and there are no economy or performance issues to suggest the injectors are failing.

Do I really need to replace the injectors, or do you think it is just the seals that need replaci;g?

OP
markg14

markg14

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I don’t know the mechanical setup for diesel injectors, but does seal replacement demand that these bolts are changed? Do the bolts hold the seals in?

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
Do the bolts hold the seals in?

Did a set of injector seals on a workmates car recently , non MB , and the seal is fitted to the base of the injector and seals against the head when the (new) holding down bolt is torqued to the correct spec.

In his case it wasn`t an MOT failure but the smell of exhaust in the car was getting dangerously bad so before he was overcome with fumes on his 50 mile commute and had an accident we replaced them.

Seals / bolts were not expensive from the dealer so he just went there as there would have been no fitment issues with OEM parts.

Cant see how an injector would be an MOT failure , seal yes due to fumes but not an injector.

K

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
AFAIK then engine cover is not removed during MOT.

A car has to literally be peeeing diesel to fail an MOT.

Although you might well have a poor seal - evidence by misting around the injector its not an MOT failure..

Typical MB upsell based on scare tactics, 1) ask them to confirm in writing its an MOT failure.
2) Get the seals and bolt replced (injector will be fine) from a MB Indy.
3) Write back to your MB dealer and saying you have confirmed that the seal would not be a MOT failure and you are astonished at the scare sales tactics used by his shop and welcome some form of goodwill to maintain relationship (ie free service)

the bolts need changing, they stretch due to heat.

Last edited:

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
The bolts are stretch bolts, torque then two 90 degree turns. You could save £1.50 but it could also snap, not worth the risk. Make sure bolt holes are clear of carbon.

Last edited:

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Did a set of injector seals on a workmates car recently , non MB , and the seal is fitted to the base of the injector and seals against the head when the (new) holding down bolt is torqued to the correct spec.

In his case it wasn`t an MOT failure but the smell of exhaust in the car was getting dangerously bad so before he was overcome with fumes on his 50 mile commute and had an accident we replaced them.

Seals / bolts were not expensive from the dealer so he just went there as there would have been no fitment issues with OEM parts.

Cant see how an injector would be an MOT failure , seal yes due to fumes but not an injector.

K

The bolts are stretch bolts, torque then two 90 degree turns. You could save £1.50 but it could also snap, not worth the risk. Make sure bolt holes are clear of carbon.
Is there no std length in manual.?

OP
markg14

markg14

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Apparently MB dealer says that because there has been such a large buildup of carbon, it is not possible to replace just the seals, and it is necessary to replace the whole injector.
I would have thought it would be a simple matter of cleaning the carbon from the affected parts before replacing the seals, but I am told this is not possible.
Any thoughts people?

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Apparently MB dealer says that because there has been such a large buildup of carbon, it is not possible to replace just the seals, and it is necessary to replace the whole injector.

So they removed the injectors to verify the buildup of carbon on them, or do they mean they have been effected by the dreaded "black death" , which should be obvious from the outside ?

Still dont know how carbon`d up injectors would be an MOT failure ??

K

Last edited:

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
^ I agree. What did they actually fail it on (failure code next to the description)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I would have thought it would be a simple matter of cleaning the carbon from the affected parts before replacing the seals, but I am told this is not possible.
Any thoughts people?
I think the issue is “MB Dealer”…:rolleyes:

arion

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190e
Change the copper seals and the bolts (torque bolts), carbon buildup does not destroy the injector unless they are planning to risk breaking them if they are seized.

Note that you need to 'cut' the surface where the old seal was if you want the new seals to last.

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think the issue is “MB Dealer”…:rolleyes:

Seems they are all at it , over on the BM forum a member was told that his M3 /4 front discs were needing replaced at a cost of £1300 so he had them measured elsewhere at 25% (0.5mm) wear from new spec.

Must be plenty of MD customers that take the service depts word as to what needs replaced.

K

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Seems they are all at it , over on the BM forum a member was told that his M3 /4 front discs were needing replaced at a cost of £1300 so he had them measured elsewhere at 25% (0.5mm) wear from new spec.

Must be plenty of MD customers that take the service depts word as to what needs replaced.

K
A friend of mine has a Range Rover with 25K miles on the clock, he has just had all 4 brake discs replaced.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP

K
Yup…
I used to use main dealer all the time for my W211 as I did deals with them.;) They told me more than once that I’d need new pads and disks… I asked why when the sensor hadn’t triggered as yet. They advised that the sensor would probably trigger before it was next due a service and it would save me a trip back. How very nice of them to think of me…:rolleyes:

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch

K
thats been a common main dealer money maker for aslong as i can remember pal , robbing barstewards

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Maybe someone after a set of discs..? I wud want "see" measurements before I agree to that, any wud have measure, replace myself
Not popular maybe. But I wud be looking how much of piston out of caliper with shot pads then "I" decide if need changing!

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Maybe someone after a set of discs..? I wud want "see" measurements before I agree to that, any wud have measure, replace myself
Not popular maybe. But I wud be looking how much of piston out of caliper with shot pads then "I" decide if need changing!

Unfortunately not everyone is familiar with the B/S peddled from some of the MD`s and indies out there , thinking of every other member of my family and extended family when i say that.

Sis in law was stung for £1200 at Halfords for an MOT recently as she had no idea what they were talking about when they gave her the list of faults , my son / daughter / wife wouldn`t know the difference between a cam shaft and a calm day so would be at the mercy of any garage out there that was economical with the truth.

We have (in work) time served mechanical engineers that cant even change the oil or brake pads on their cars so are also at the mercy of any dishonest garage out there.

The garages that fancy a bit of unjustified "extras" must gauge the customers competence around a car before attempting to upsell their services.

K

Top Bottom