MOT requirements Fog Lights & Side Indicator Repeaters

tjamesbo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 CLK430, 2007 VITO 3.0V6 , W124's (1994 320TE , 1993 220TE ) , 07 2.5 X-Type
Doing a Pre MOT check on the W124 E Class E320 seeingas i had some lighting issues in March
My LH side repeater the on on the side of the wing is not working and the Bulb appears ok is the side repeater functionality an MOT requirement ?
Also I notice that on Fog lights only the Offside ones light up i vaguely remember that this is correct ? but There appears to be a bulb & Wiring in the LHS foglight is it just a factory standard build ?
Thanks
Boyd

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
You only have an offside rear fog light .... Merc think that we'll confuse 2 rear fogs for brake lights o_O though other manufacturers fit 2. The bulb in the opposite side is there on stand-by for when another bulb fails.
I'd expect that you'd need the side repeater for the MOT

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Boyd! How are you doing? Long time no speak!

No such luck, unless your car is pre-1986. Side repeaters must be fitted and functional. 90E1FE5C-4F34-4F98-A66F-74A0378F1DA3.jpeg

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
You only have an offside rear fog light .... Merc think that we'll confuse 2 rear fogs for brake lights o_O though other manufacturers fit 2. The bulb in the opposite side is there on stand-by for when another bulb fails.
I'd expect that you'd need the side repeater for the MOT
2 ==> 1 rear fog lamp is a cost reduction measure. The lighting regs only require 1 rear foglamp, actually they require a certain luminosity not number of lamps.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I thought 1 vs 2 fog lights was a sensible safety idea.... most European manufacturers use one,

half the dazzle when left on
and it shows clearly as a fog light... leaving the brake lights to be seen in a change in the operation of the vehicle in front

half the time in normal weather (when 98% of rear fog light use happens !!!) you can't tell if the brake lights have come on as the intensity of the fog light was always that bit brighter than a brake light... its half the reason the middle brake light had to be fitted.

Then along comes LEDs and Bentley and you can't tell anything from anything anyway

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
2 ==> 1 rear fog lamp is a cost reduction measure. The lighting regs only require 1 rear foglamp, actually they require a certain luminosity not number of lamps.

A while back through a series of emails re something else, MB told me that having two rear fogs might fail an MOT .. obviously a load of Sandra Bullocks but they also suggested that 2 rear fogs could be confused with 2 brake lights. o_O
And how is it a cost saving measure when both bulb holders are filled? Electrickery tells the car to use either one or both as & when needed.
I know a car only needs one .... one on the offside or in the centre ;)

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
.... its half the reason the middle brake light had to be fitted.

USA started that years ago .... helps to differentiate flashing red brake/red turn lights from each other

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A while back through a series of emails re something else, MB told me that having two rear fogs might fail an MOT .. obviously a load of Sandra Bullocks but they also suggested that 2 rear fogs could be confused with 2 brake lights. o_O
And how is it a cost saving measure when both bulb holders are filled? Electrickery tells the car to use either one or both as & when needed.
I know a car only needs one .... one on the offside or in the centre ;)
Because MB have a design standard to maintain a spare lamp, in addition to those required to meet the homologated condition...... because MB do not have drive- handed rear lamps (or front lamps now for that matter- there’s €18 million in tooling saved per model) each lamp requires a foglamp pocket in the tool. Putting the spare lamp in it with some really smart wring and 1s and 0s controlling it rather neatly meets the design standard too.

OP
T

tjamesbo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 CLK430, 2007 VITO 3.0V6 , W124's (1994 320TE , 1993 220TE ) , 07 2.5 X-Type
Ok thanks for the above so fog lights :D and after separating the bulb holder from its socket on the side repeater I reinstalled it and it worked so thats a result as well
Hi Craig we should have a socially distanced mini midlands meet , would be good to see you alistair and the others again .Hows the CL going ? still got the e class estate ? I've been on jobs like Belt tensioner / damper and pulleys on the M104 in the 320 124 estate , new elec window regulator in the same , new Radiator on the 220 124 , new rear wiper motor on the Vito and removal of the roof lining and Sunroof and resealing on the Vito along with some snazzy LED colour change lighting in it while the roof trim was out slowly getting it back together now so its been fairly busy just doing a mammoth oil & filter change the 220 followed by the 320 followed by the CLK430 followed by the Vito its all come at once:shock:

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Boyd, all good here. The CL has been stuck with a really awkward current drain since late last year that’s only just been tracked down. It’s one of those jobs where every twist and turn spawned another job. Been doing a lot to the house- patio extension, new path up the side of the garage, perimeter French drains, ripped out and replaced the front garden, had the ground floor laminate flooring replaced with white marble effect tiles, we’re just painting the hallway and stairs/ banisters and next job is to rebuild the existing chipboard carpeted stairs with oak treads & risers from some solid oak floorboards my dad has had waiting for years to find a use for.

Must admit, I thought MB parts were pricey but they’ve got nothing on stair rods!!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom