Moving to the other side!

PhilippeM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 270 cdi
After my nearly mint 150,000km 2005 CLK270 was written of in Spain this February I have been searching for a replacement. Even added C Class or early E Class (not though '03-'06 as I didn't want SBC being someone who has always done all his own maintenance and repairs).

Anyway to cut a long story short haveing not found a suitable vehicle a mate suggested I look at BMWs, either E46 (3 series) or E39 (5 series) with 3 litre turbodiesel engine; so 330d or 530d. Off this Friday to look at a very low mileage car that sounds mint (though as ever I'm prepared to be disappointed. It ticks all the boxes, even has factory towbar saving me the hassle of fitting one. Seems as if there's some nice audio upgrades one can do these days that keep fascia looking OEM standard.

Cheers

Philip

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Make sure you take it for a decent length test drive, I could never get on with the seats in the 5 series I had for 18 Months :(

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
Check for issues with that model diesel engine, the M57 I think - https://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/74197-25d-or-30d/

We had a friend with a 530d 2003 vintage, which injested it's broken swirl flaps and lunched the engine - it was about 8 years old when it happened.

Last edited:

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
I did 106k miles in my E46 (325i Coupe) and was very pleased with it but, in the end, the harshness of the ride, on 18in wheels*, turned me to Mercedes for its replacement.

* edit - on standard tyres, not run-flats

Last edited:

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
The BMW experience is much much better on our roads once you dump the Bridgestone run flats. Buy a can of goo, air compressor and spare wheel, might need to have someone bring the spare wheel out to me if the goo doesn’t work but a better option than a low loader

OP
P

PhilippeM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 270 cdi
Thanks for the comments.

Car I'm going to view on Friday is non-sport version with manual gearbox (so no swirl flaps) sitting on it's original 16in wheels. I loved the comfort of the CLK and found I could do 750km in a day with no aches or pains and certainly don't want to lose that ability. Will try and get a decent test drive in the car.

Cheers

Philip

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Good luck with your search I had a 2003 CLK270CDI, did over 115K miles in it.
Possibly the most comfortable car seats I have ever driven in, I did several 1,100 Km drives in a day in that car.
The only other car that came near was my Renault 17TX, back in the 70's.

OP
P

PhilippeM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 270 cdi
Well, 18 year old 530D with just 65,000m (full service history, bills and mots to support) bought today. Seats seemed firm but reminded me of those on an old Saab 9000 I had. In half hour drive I found them fine but obviously I'll only really know after a long run. Very smooth engine (probably better than the 270 on that point) and also extremely comfortable, but then it's not a Sport and is riding on 16in wheels.

Now my problem will be finding a good forum. This one has been very good when I've been after info.

Cheers

Philip

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Well, 18 year old 530D with just 65,000m (full service history, bills and mots to support) bought today. Seats seemed firm but reminded me of those on an old Saab 9000 I had. In half hour drive I found them fine but obviously I'll only really know after a long run. Very smooth engine (probably better than the 270 on that point) and also extremely comfortable, but then it's not a Sport and is riding on 16in wheels.

Now my problem will be finding a good forum. This one has been very good when I've been after info.

Cheers

Philip
You won’t find a good BMW forum Phillippe , I tried a few with barely any responses and certainly no banter , good advice and help like this one. Guess we may be spoiled!
Do like me and stick around, will be back in a Merc one day anyway...

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
After my nearly mint 150,000km 2005 CLK270 was written of in Spain this February I have been searching for a replacement. Even added C Class or early E Class (not though '03-'06 as I didn't want SBC being someone who has always done all his own maintenance and repairs).

Anyway to cut a long story short haveing not found a suitable vehicle a mate suggested I look at BMWs, either E46 (3 series) or E39 (5 series) with 3 litre turbodiesel engine; so 330d or 530d. Off this Friday to look at a very low mileage car that sounds mint (though as ever I'm prepared to be disappointed. It ticks all the boxes, even has factory towbar saving me the hassle of fitting one. Seems as if there's some nice audio upgrades one can do these days that keep fascia looking OEM standard.

Cheers

Philip
Noooooooooooooo don't do it! Come to your senses man!!!!!

OP
P

PhilippeM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 270 cdi
Suspect I will lurk on the site, though hopefully not whilst regretting having bought the BMW. Elder daughter has a 2nd generation Class A 200 (petrol) that we may buy from her later in the year when she changes to a slightly newer Class. Meanwhile younger daughter has a 2nd generation Class A 180 diesel that is also likely to come our way in a couple of years. So I'll be around for A Class info in the future.

Meanwhile in my 3&1/2 years of ownership I learnt a fair amount about the 270cdi, including making my own tester to find a leak in the turbo intercooler pipework, so more than happy to provide advice if I can.

Thanks again for being a great bunch of contributors and the moderators for doing a excellent job.

Cheers

Philip

ps live in SW France, exactly mid-way on the map between Montauban & Auch. If anyone ever needs a pitstop you are welcome to pop in.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Suspect I will lurk on the site, though hopefully not whilst regretting having bought the BMW. Elder daughter has a 2nd generation Class A 200 (petrol) that we may buy from her later in the year when she changes to a slightly newer Class. Meanwhile younger daughter has a 2nd generation Class A 180 diesel that is also likely to come our way in a couple of years. So I'll be around for A Class info in the future.

Meanwhile in my 3&1/2 years of ownership I learnt a fair amount about the 270cdi, including making my own tester to find a leak in the turbo intercooler pipework, so more than happy to provide advice if I can.

Thanks again for being a great bunch of contributors and the moderators for doing a excellent job.

Cheers

Philip

ps live in SW France, exactly mid-way on the map between Montauban & Auch. If anyone ever needs a pitstop you are welcome to pop in.
Lovely region you live in there , lot of wonderful Bastide Towns . We were in a gite last year not far from Montauban .

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom