Mr Clarkson does not like the new E Class!!

roofless

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 e220 estate
5th gear at least has had a few format changes over the years, VBH is still a babe.

TG = 3 floppy haired bufoons doing their best to earn their 6 (7?) figure wages by the same lame old stunts, and by smashing cars up for shock value and to upset people.

not sure about the babe:D but given the choice i would opt for VBH over JC though after a few who knows

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Have to agree with you on this bit Dave,,a little on the childish side

As much as I like the show, they should change the name to Top Gear Drifting (with lots of tyre smoke) or move on. Shots of them playing around on the track are becoming rather tedious now.

Russ

PeterCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 204 Elegance saloon 220 cdi
Doesn't Clarkson drive an XC90 as his everyday car?

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I don't think he has a regular car as such. He's always using press cars of one sort or another. He owns a land cruiser and a merc (was an SL55, not sure what he has now) and probably a couple of others (sold the GT40 I believe).

As for the TG vs 5th gear. I settle down with the Mrs to watch TG and we generally spend half the program laughing. I also record 5th gear, but have to watch than on my own and can generally get through a 1 hour show in 10mins. Sadly their presenters seem to think they have the personality to try a few pranks, build cars and race them etc but sadly they're just too nurdy to be funny. It comes out as a student home movie. To laugh with someone you have to like them, and they just annoy me.
I like VBH, she's cute and a very good driver, Plato is 2 dimentional (tg wouldn't let him speak - he'd be a stig), same goes for Tiff, though he's more personality. As for the other 2 muppets, just sad. The only one of the old crew I really liked was Quentin. (or clocker wilson as he is allegedly known from his used car days!) He was the only one who could write a script to equal Clarksons. Great command of the language (ex Cambridge English scolar I believe) A kind of Steven Fry of the motoring world.

Mr Teddy Bear

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 W208 CLK 230K SPORT: MG F 1.8VVC: Flame Red Rover 216GTi
TG has changed to a winning formula, that generates this discussion for instance, and I seem to remember that the bunch who were offloaded so to speak, sprang up on 5th Gear.......................yawn! Which has been reformatted so many times in the past six years? because it was so good? no I don't think so, it's presently so bland as to be completely missable.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Clarkson was testing the E500, I doubt if the people buying such a car will even consider his remarks, plus it will only be a limited number of people who will consider such a car so all in all it wont make a big difference..and I think he is entitled to his views.. In his favour
One thng he has always said, ''people say when i run down a car that it will affect sales, I slated the Vauxhall vectra, but it sells in its thousands, so people actually dont listen to what i say'' or words to that effect...

Micman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180K Avantgarde SE
One things for certain the new E-class will be the airport taxi drivers car of choice, just like the old model is.

I live near Gatwick - and you see 'posh' E-class taxi's everywhere doing the airport run!

:lol:

jeremytaylor

Reaction score
I think his point is that 'large saloons' have had their day, usurped by MPVs, SUVs, 4x4s, etc. But this line of thought is hardly new and MB sold plenty of 211s. If the 212 fails in JC's eyes, then it is for not being 'sporty' enough.

But for those of us who live in the real world, I suspect (and has been commented on by other testers) that MB have got their priorities spot on. Comfort and refinement are what most people want.

Roll on the 212 estate!

P

PanzerMcGrory

I don't think he has a regular car as such. He's always using press cars of one sort or another. He owns a land cruiser and a merc (was an SL55, not sure what he has now) and probably a couple of others (sold the GT40 I believe).

As for the TG vs 5th gear. I settle down with the Mrs to watch TG and we generally spend half the program laughing. I also record 5th gear, but have to watch than on my own and can generally get through a 1 hour show in 10mins. Sadly their presenters seem to think they have the personality to try a few pranks, build cars and race them etc but sadly they're just too nurdy to be funny. It comes out as a student home movie. To laugh with someone you have to like them, and they just annoy me.
I like VBH, she's cute and a very good driver, Plato is 2 dimentional (tg wouldn't let him speak - he'd be a stig), same goes for Tiff, though he's more personality. As for the other 2 muppets, just sad. The only one of the old crew I really liked was Quentin. (or clocker wilson as he is allegedly known from his used car days!) He was the only one who could write a script to equal Clarksons. Great command of the language (ex Cambridge English scolar I believe) A kind of Steven Fry of the motoring world.

Quinten wilson is the man, used to love his bits on the old top gear especialy classics like the rover p5.
dont really like fifth gear as all they try and do is copy top gear.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I don't think Clarkson's comments will affect sales of the E500. The target buyer knows what he/she wants, supreme engineering, image and sublety as they waft to their destination. I understand his comments on innovation and that the car doesn't offer a new direction in transport, but the MB range is so diverse now that just about every taste and type of vehicle is offered. So the E500 owner can add any of the other offerings to his stable.

As for Top Gear, they have provided some great moments of entertainment over the last few years but at least a third of what is broadcast is embarrassing/cringeworthy. I suppose the director isn't always sure how some of the stunts are going to work out so you have to suffer the good with the bad.

I'm sure we'll see some of the sheer indulgence with taxpayers money scaled back now the BBC is now firmly in the media 'expenses' spotlight, so don't expect TG to continue to provide such lavish stunts in the future. Clarkson can claim that he changed the way motoring jounalists thought and wrote, and created entertainment from it, and for that he's claimed his place in history.

Last edited:

jberks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm sure we'll see some of the sheer indulgence with taxpayers money scaled back now the BBC is now firmly in the media 'expenses' spotlight, so don't expect TG to continue to provide such lavish stunts in the future.

Don't be so sure. After all, its one of the BBCs biggest exports. Probably one of the few programs that makes a profit!

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Good point JB!

However, I'm more of the opinion that the BBC are more interested in crushing the oposition, ITV/SKY et al, and ratings than making a profit. Don't fall into the trap of thinking they are a proper business. One of the last state monopolies although not politically biast we are told.

Having said that I do support the existance of the broadcaster but not at the rate it burns through money at the moment.

SilverSaloon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124/1994/om606
5th gear at least has had a few format changes over the years

only because they constantly try to change their format and copy TG. (and continually fail).

i always watch TG (or catch the repeat), whereas i'll miss FG and not bother about it.

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
there's nothing wrong with a polemical outlook

is there Panzer. If there was, where would that leave you?
JC was was taken seriously enough by GM/Vauxhall when he (rightly) savaged the then new Vectra.
They banned him from reviewing their cars for a long time. His review showed it up to be the useless box that it was.
All said and done, it's just his opinion, or one he's prepared to voice. You don't have to buy it, you don't have to watch the programme.

He never did use to like Ferraris though, if you look back far enough in his writings, even back to his Performance Car column in the mid-eighties, and he hated them and their owners with equal passion. I wonder why he changed his mind on something so fundamental?
Perhaps they wouldn't let him review one unless he took the faith?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It is nice to see what handles badly,,say one that does not like going around corners for instance,,I just read between the lines,,and take the basic comments, any cosmetic issues are for the eye of the beholder.

jberks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
He never did use to like Ferraris though, if you look back far enough in his writings, even back to his Performance Car column in the mid-eighties, and he hated them and their owners with equal passion. I wonder why he changed his mind on something so fundamental?
Perhaps they wouldn't let him review one unless he took the faith?

I suspect his revelation came around roughly the same time his ability to own one did .....;-)

He was right about the owners though. I dare say there are the odd exceptions but all the Fezza owners I've had the misfortune to come across I'd happily set fire to, as a service to society. Arrogant, agressive low lives the lot of them. Sad really - brilliant engineering but you really have to have a major personality defect to be willing to be seen in one.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom