My first clay bar session

HelpThisDude

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C270CDI, R172 SLK55 AMG
My CLK is black and i have tried all sorts of polish to get a good glass-like polish - this may be the answer!

Black is one of those colours!
Please make sure the car is spotless and dust free. Swirls really show up on black, and if you do drop your clay, ditch it and get a new bit, not worth finding that there was an evil bit of grit in there eating at your paint.
Get the clay warm first, use a good lube, and regularly kneed the clay to get a fresh clean surface.

The best cheat for swirled black paint is something called blackhole, its a glaze, and will fill tiny scratches that ruin the glass finish.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Could be this detailing is silly.

Late last week I 'T' cutted the whole car, it was needed there were white and a few red splashes as though some one had sprayed a car close to it.

I bought it back to blue with many scratches and stone chips more visible as the car was closer to pure.

The swirls were embarrassing, I even considered that it would be possible to polarize the paint work to make it more aero dynamic and disguise it that way.

Today the post man bought my clay bar and Poorboy's Black Hole Glaze, as recommended by you fine chaps.
With lots of other jobs to do in our house full of holes my curiosity got the better of me, so I've clayed and glazed a couple of sample areas.

The result no more swirls, some of the minor usage marks / damaged gone, a shine deep enough to climb into.
I haven't time to carry on giving the works motor this type of attention,
and the silly bit I was enjoying myself so much I let a cup of tea go cold, can you imagine ?

Maybe she deserves some attention she sailed through the MOT this morning.

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
Could be this detailing is silly.

Late last week I 'T' cutted the whole car, it was needed there were white and a few red splashes as though some one had sprayed a car close to it.

I bought it back to blue with many scratches and stone chips more visible as the car was closer to pure.

The swirls were embarrassing, I even considered that it would be possible to polarize the paint work to make it more aero dynamic and disguise it that way.

Today the post man bought my clay bar and Poorboy's Black Hole Glaze, as recommended by you fine chaps.
With lots of other jobs to do in our house full of holes my curiosity got the better of me, so I've clayed and glazed a couple of sample areas.

The result no more swirls, some of the minor usage marks / damaged gone, a shine deep enough to climb into.
I haven't time to carry on giving the works motor this type of attention,
and the silly bit I was enjoying myself so much I let a cup of tea go cold, can you imagine ?

Maybe she deserves some attention she sailed through the MOT this morning.

Oh dear another one bites the dust - join the club:cool:

I blame Mic who 'used' to be the leader, the bastion of bu**er that for a bowl of chips and now he has become the GURU but not any old GURU oh no he has a cup to prove he is 'THE' GURU, HE IS THE MAN;);)

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Nah, he hasn't fully joined the club yet - still hasn't bought a DA polisher, pads, microfibre and merino wash mitts, and tried a bunch of different cleaning fluids, waxes, glazes etc etc etc!!

It's a slippery slope - I should know, I got onto the slope 2 years ago with my 968 coupe, 2 years later I'm even detailing herself's shopping trolley (aka c270).

With the 968's the benefits really show, but the silver of the c270 is not so rewarding - it's one of those colours that never looks really dirty (until you wash it and realise how much muck had accumulated) - but even after hours of washing, claying, machine polishing and waxing, it does not seem to gleam the way the red of the coupe or blue of the cabriolet do.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Nah, he hasn't fully joined the club yet - still hasn't bought a DA polisher, pads, microfibre and merino wash mitts, and tried a bunch of different cleaning fluids, waxes, glazes etc etc etc!!

It's a slippery slope - I should know, I got onto the slope 2 years ago with my 968 coupe, 2 years later I'm even detailing herself's shopping trolley (aka c270).

With the 968's the benefits really show, but the silver of the c270 is not so rewarding - it's one of those colours that never looks really dirty (until you wash it and realise how much muck had accumulated) - but even after hours of washing, claying, machine polishing and waxing, it does not seem to gleam the way the red of the coupe or blue of the cabriolet do.

I have a 129 in Almandine which comes up rather well, if you are looking for something to practise on Chris? :rolleyes:

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211

Ah BUT did you get a Cup? cos old Mic did and I would not mind betting he is a secret DA'er having been persuaded by his human worry beads who goes by the name of 'Carnut13' that such an investment is wise indeed.

Silver yep you are so right my E270 whilst it looks good is not a patch on my old Azurite Blue E240:cool:

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ah BUT did you get a Cup? cos old Mic did and I would not mind betting he is a secret DA'er having been persuaded by his human worry beads who goes by the name of 'Carnut13' that such an investment is wise indeed.

Silver yep you are so right my E270 whilst it looks good is not a patch on my old Azurite Blue E240:cool:

Nearly won first in class at our PCGB region show and shine last weekend - came second with the cabriolet by just 2 points! Reckon if I'd still had the coupe I'd have won. The cab had only been DA polished and waxed, it's now at a pro detailer being well and truely fettled ready for the next show and shine in 10 days time (actually to get her up to the standard I want, fixing a bad scratch, gravel rash, cracked leather etc) - I shall be slightly miffed if I come away from that empty handed!

Pity I have no idea where Warwickshire is - I get lost north of the Thames (my passport has nearly run out!).

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
I very much bow to Chris' experience and expertise.....I have, for instance, no intention of resorting to machines.....far too technical and potentially dangerous for my liking.

Mic

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
My first clay bar session........

Looks like it's going to be done by the BikeHut manager at Halfords, Maypole.

We were chatting as I bought some more wash/wax and tyre dress this morning, and he was keen to show me the photos of his and his dad's car he'd clayed recently.
He tells me he spends 10hrs in one day once a month cleaning his BRM Rover 200 :eek:.

He's gonna give me a price and if acceptable, he can come here and "clay away" to his heart's content.

Last edited:

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
John, I'm sure you are aware that clay is only the first step - she'll need a bath after the clay, then polish, glaze and wax. The payback comes over the next few months when each simple wash brings back the lovely shine! Don't forget to clay the wheels (last!) then polish and wax them so brake dust won't stick! If you don't have Rimwax or similar, use whatever you're waxing the bodywork with!

Photos before and after!

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
then polish and wax them so brake dust won't stick! If you don't have Rimwax or similar,

When you say won't stick how effective is that ?
I'm contemplating getting EBC pads to reduce the dust effect, it would be nice to save the money for the Jeep at least.

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've done the alloys on the C270 - and the cheapo German front pads I fitted last August dust like crazy but it washes off pretty easily. Luckily the alloys were as near as dammit brand new when I waxed them, which helped a lot.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I wax my alloys when I do the car. Brake dust simply wipes away, I often spray over with Meg's Last Touch between washes and wipe with a microfibre, comes up like new!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I wax my alloys when I do the car. Brake dust simply wipes away, I often spray over with Meg's Last Touch between washes and wipe with a microfibre, comes up like new!

But do you clean the insides

Attachments

• Picture 309.jpg
    Picture 309.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 18

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Always, so much easier with the 18" wheels ;)

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A recap of the detailing process on the information given in this thread, with a little of own experience added.

Bodywork

1. T Cut scratches and scuffs.

2. Clay Bar all bodywork using Bilt Hamber with plenty of water as lubricant. I continually rinsed with water from a bucket using a micro fibre cloth.

3. Repair paint damage, scratches and stone chips as maybe required.

4. Polish using Greased Lightning Showroom Shine.

5. Glaze, considered optional, I've used Poorboys Black Hole (for dark paintwork) and like the results. Poorboys Diamond (for lighter paintwork) is available.

6. Sealant coat, Car-Lack 68.

7. Wax Coat, Collinite 915.

Trim & Tyres

Chemical Guys New Look Trim Gel.

Wheels

1. Clay Bar

2. Sealant.

3. Wax with Meg's Last Touch Wax.

Any corrections, additions from the more experienced are welcome.

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
You forgot the poor boys 'Elbow Grease' Martin:p

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
One correction on the wheels section..

3. Wax with Collinite 915
4. Clean between washes with Meg's Last Touch detailing spray