My first Mercedes

michaelgrey

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212
Hi,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Great place here!

Based in Europe. Mid twenties. Never had anything but a Fiesta.

My grandfather used to buy slightly used Mercedes Cs and didn't pay much more for them than my parents did for a newish Citroen estate. We'd be on our second car when his Mercedes (90s) was still running happily. That always stuck with me.

I'm planning on driving 75k km (50k mi) a year for my business - effectively being a traveling salesman. I need a presentable, safe, comfortable car to eat up the miles.

1) Is a used E W212 (150-200 hp) the way to go?

2) For the miles that I'm doing: fuel usage + mechanical reliability: diesel or gas?

3) For the miles that I'm doing: a 2011 100k+ km car or a 2014-5 <50k km example?
What makes most sense financially in my case?

4) Reselling in my case worth it? Or drive it into the ground?

5) Or buy a basic C a be done with it?

Researching as much as possible but it's overwhelming for a beginner. I'd love your feedback on this.

Man, I feel like it's coming full circle, I've always wanted to own one of these just like my grandfather... now with my business visiting potential customers I have found a legitimate reason / excuse :)

All the best,

Michael

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Hi and welcome.
Given your mileage and fuel prices in Europe I'd probably plumb for a diesel, but that said the new city centre restrictions may make the decision for you.
I'm personally a fan of the 100k car and run it for another 100k. Perform some preventative maintenance when you get the car (front suspension bushes, shock absorbers etc) and replace anything known to fail unless you have documented evidence its already been done and run with it from there. Running into the ground isn't an option if its your livelihood.

As for C/E class thats pretty much a matter of personal choice and budget.

amustali

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 ml320 cdi, iridium silver
Hi,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Great place here!

Based in Europe. Mid twenties. Never had anything but a Fiesta.

My grandfather used to buy slightly used Mercedes Cs and didn't pay much more for them than my parents did for a newish Citroen estate. We'd be on our second car when his Mercedes (90s) was still running happily. That always stuck with me.

I'm planning on driving 75k km (50k mi) a year for my business - effectively being a traveling salesman. I need a presentable, safe, comfortable car to eat up the miles.

1) Is a used E W212 (150-200 hp) the way to go?

2) For the miles that I'm doing: fuel usage + mechanical reliability: diesel or gas?

3) For the miles that I'm doing: a 2011 100k+ km car or a 2014-5 <50k km example?
What makes most sense financially in my case?

4) Reselling in my case worth it? Or drive it into the ground?

5) Or buy a basic C a be done with it?

Researching as much as possible but it's overwhelming for a beginner. I'd love your feedback on this.

Man, I feel like it's coming full circle, I've always wanted to own one of these just like my grandfather... now with my business visiting potential customers I have found a legitimate reason / excuse :)

All the best,

Michael

Hi Michael, prepare yourself as this will be long post.

1. I believe you should get an E350 cdi. It has 265hp and 625 NM of torque. The claimed mpg is 45 combined which after a Google search is 5.2L/100km which i dont think is too bad

2. The reliability of the engine in the 350cdi is good, if it has been well maintaned they can see over 200,000 miles/321,000km, for example I just checked and there was one 2010 model which had 290,000(466k KM) miles with all mercedes service stamps, shows it can get there

3. That's up to you, myself i like the pre facelift model up to 2013, and you can still find one with low miles, and financially you would make more sense to buy one with less miles, as it will last you longer.

4. Just keep it and service it at the right intervals and either resell it or drive it into the ground, have a look at how much they are selling for in the next 5-6 years or so and then you can make an informed decision on what to do.

5. What's the point of getting basic

Anyway do what you wish with this information, i hope i have helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Welcome Michael
Can’t add much more except to say I’m on my second 212 and both have been the face lift models of course and they are a very nice place to be which is important given the physical time you will spend in it.
So given that I’d personally go for the newest you can as the toys will be better generally, fit and finish are superb

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom