Need Help. I Cannot Fathom.

Mike-Carter

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169
Four days into Mercedes A160 ownership and it feels quite good. Still a little nervous of Mercedes' build quality (electrics).
However I'm puzzled, the handbook is next to useless, I've searched page by page to find out what the button is to the left of the ECO button. Cannot find any info and when I press the button nothing happens and no light appears anywhere.
Can somebody advise please? IMG_20200524_115452.jpg

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Four days into Mercedes A160 ownership and it feels quite good. Still a little nervous of Mercedes' build quality (electrics).
However I'm puzzled, the handbook is next to useless, I've searched page by page to find out what the button is to the left of the ECO button. Cannot find any info and when I press the button nothing happens and no light appears anywhere.
Can somebody advise please? View attachment 58557
If the car is being towed it stops the alarm going off

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
It is the anti tow alarm kill button. Basically if your car needs to be towed whilst doors are locked this button stops the alarm going off as it is jacked up and towed...

Mercedes SL500 R231

OP
Mike-Carter

Mike-Carter

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169
It is the anti tow alarm kill button. Basically if your car needs to be towed whilst doors are locked this button stops the alarm going off as it is jacked up and towed...

Mercedes SL500 R231
Thank you for that sl500amgsport, how very considerate of MB to supply such a feature knowingly expecting the car to break down:D

OP
Mike-Carter

Mike-Carter

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169
If the car is being towed it stops the alarm going off
When first I saw the the button I thought What the hell, Mercedes have a fishing line hidden somewhere.:)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Thank you for that sl500amgsport, how very considerate of MB to supply such a feature knowingly expecting the car to break down:D
It's very useful on ferries as it stops the motion of the boat setting the alarm off.

OP
Mike-Carter

Mike-Carter

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169
It's very useful on ferries as it stops the motion of the boat setting the alarm off.
Bet it don't stop seasickness.
Thanks for your reply.o_O

OP
Mike-Carter

Mike-Carter

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169
Christ, looking at the picture it appears my car has dandruff.:)

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
It's in the Owner's Manual, page 56 - Tow-Away Protection.
Also in online interactive manual
View attachment 58561

interesting that the manual shown, shows that the 'tow-away' button disables the interior sensors to enable persons or animals to be left inside the car while alarmed. My ML (& the R Class before it) has another button to disable the interior sensors.

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
interesting that the manual shown, shows that the 'tow-away' button disables the interior sensors to enable persons or animals to be left inside the car while alarmed. My ML (& the R Class before it) has another button to disable the interior sensors.
Yes, Mercedes combined the two functions in the facelift 169 - in my pre-facelift A200 I too have two separate buttons for these:

45347246081_29a57a0ea7_o.jpg

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
Our old Audi A2 had a similar button, so I don't think it's that unusual.

OP
Mike-Carter

Mike-Carter

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169
I never had an Audi A2, had Volvo's and it wasn't present.
Don't think it's on a Robin Reliant either.:D:D

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Every time you go on a ferry they advise you to disable the alarm to prevent the motion of the ferry setting off the alarm and flattening the battery.
It's a very common feature to have in a car.
Some cars have the switch hidden in the b pillar (pretty sure my old S70 was like that).
My A8 also had the ability to disable the alarm.

I believe on some Volvo's the motion detection alarm is an option.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Every time you go on a ferry they advise you to disable the alarm to prevent the motion of the ferry setting off the alarm and flattening the battery.
It's a very common feature to have in a car.
Some cars have the switch hidden in the b pillar (pretty sure my old S70 was like that).
My A8 also had the ability to disable the alarm.

I believe on some Volvo's the motion detection alarm is an option.
Almost all VW vehicles have the switches for interior sensors and tow away on the B-Pillar by the driver.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350

I'd have thought that all cars with interior motion sensors had the option to turn them off so you could leave your dog inside when alarmed .... All my Vauxhalls did going back to the late 80s .... even my crappy Astra though IIRC it shared the button with something else :confused:
The tow away button though on Merc does seem to be unique to MB

Top Bottom