need some advice on my Cls 320

unklebuck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 / 2008
I was having issues with my car 2008 cls 320, it would constantly go into limp mode with the P0299 error.

Took it down the avantgarde in cleavdon, they said it was the turbo as they could see the actuator arm sticking in its movement, so needed a new turbo

I removed the old turbo and it was heavily coked up and the vanes were sticking badly as well

I changed my turbo for a new one due to it being coked up badly and the vanes sticking like mad, bought all new gaskets, seals and bolt sets from Mercedes Cardiff Also lots of other seal kits incase i needed to take the manifolds off and refit a new swirl motor or clean out the intake manifolds.

With the old turbo off I checked the swirl flaps by moving the motor link arm and it moved freely with no sticking to full extent one way and the other.

I decided to just fit the new turbo and all new gaskets and bolts etc, then I fitted a new bat wing MAF , took the egr valve off , cleaned it and fitted a new o ring seal, also the exhaust back pressure sensor.

Once all of this was done an "A" service and full oil change (oil change kit from mercedes)

Took the car out, behaved nicely, then put my foot down and hey presto P0299 came back again, when i got home checked everything several times for any errors, nothing.

I too the car to my local mech and they did a pressurised smoke test and found no leaks anywhere, I had a brand new boost pressure sensor from mercedes boxed so suggested fitting that. It still goes into limp mode.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do now as I am lost, When I started doing this I also bought a full gasket kit and all the new bolts for removing the intake manifolds and I also got new oil cooler seals and bolts to change them over as well.

I have a new swirl flap motor here and all the clips and parts for that.

Is it just worth while to take it all of clean the intake manifolds, cheange the swirl flap motor and cooler seals etc and refit?

The local mech doesnt have a star system so it limited in diagnostics.

Thanks

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 BMW 535d Gran Turismo
When you fitted a new turbo did you change the actuator as well?

I have had what seemed like a turbo issue on a CLS320 when I had one and it turned out to be the actuator on mine. Sent it off re-conditioning and problem solved.

OP
U

unklebuck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 / 2008
When you fitted a new turbo did you change the actuator as well?

I have had what seemed like a turbo issue on a CLS320 when I had one and it turned out to be the actuator on mine. Sent it off re-conditioning and problem solved.
the turbo is a complete new turbo with new actuator pre fitted

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
variable geometry turbo actuator, can have a hard life trying to operate a clogged turbo

does it jiggle as you turn the key on and or wobble about at it start up as you blip the throttle - they should

Last edited:
OP
U

unklebuck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 / 2008
variable geometry turbo actuator, can have a hard life trying to operate a clogged turbo

does it jiggle as you turn the key on and or wobble about at it start up as you blip the throttle - they should
There is a brand new turbo fitted along with all new gaskets and bolts, seals, Maf etc. The issue is that I got the error P0299 with the old coked up turbo. Fitted a new one as advised along with lots of other new Mercedes parts and even with the new turbo etc it still presents itself hitting 3k. I just got some 4.7k resistors in so I can try the bypass. If it doesn't go into limp mode then the swirl flap motor, arms and inlet manifolds need to come off for cleaning etc.

Mr Hatt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI Sport S211 2009, CLS320cdi Sport C219 2006, CLK320 Cab W209 2005
The problem you started with and still have sounds just like the one I had on my CLS320 and many have experienced on here, the secondary throttle flap motor (swirl flap motor) is not working probably due to oil dripping on to it from the intercooler connection and burning out electrics, although it all moves freely when you activate it by hand, it is not actuating when instructed, go ahead and replace it to solve the problem, good on you for enduring, its not a ten minute job that you have carried out so far regards steve

OP
U

unklebuck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 / 2008
The problem you started with and still have sounds just like the one I had on my CLS320 and many have experienced on here, the secondary throttle flap motor (swirl flap motor) is not working probably due to oil dripping on to it from the intercooler connection and burning out electrics, although it all moves freely when you activate it by hand, it is not actuating when instructed, go ahead and replace it to solve the problem, good on you for enduring, its not a ten minute job that you have carried out so far regards steve
Many thanks for the advice, I did buy a new one to fit along with everything else, I should have fitted it at the time really, Hindsight eh!

I will have the car back next week so as soon as its here I will be fitting it and then taking it out to check, hopefully it cures things.
Many thanks again for the advice.

UB

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500

A new turbo is not a new actuator .... yes it "could" come with both parts, but quite likely didn't

you don't need diagnostics... take off the engine cover and whilst watching the link rod from the black actuator to the aluminum turbo - turn on the key, start the car, then blip the throttle - the actuator should dance about. If it doesn't

actuator dead
turbo VGT stuck
Fuse popped (note this is the same fuse in the front SAM that does the swirl flap motor - swirl flap motors die due to coked ports)

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Did the resistor change anything ?
There is also a 15amp fuse in the engine bay fuse box that controls turbo/swirl flap motor/back pressure sensor , might be number 47 ? (I’ll check )
Edit , it’s 44 on my om642

OP
U

unklebuck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 / 2008
A new turbo is not a new actuator .... yes it "could" come with both parts, but quite likely didn't

you don't need diagnostics... take off the engine cover and whilst watching the link rod from the black actuator to the aluminum turbo - turn on the key, start the car, then blip the throttle - the actuator should dance about. If it doesn't

actuator dead
turbo VGT stuck
Fuse popped (note this is the same fuse in the front SAM that does the swirl flap motor - swirl flap motors die due to coked ports)
Thanks I have refitted turbos on quite a few of my cars, the one supplied came with the actuator fitted from the supplier ( Essex Turbos ) whom I have used before.

for reference here's the turbo prior to fitting, just to clear up any confusion.

I wont have the car back until tuesday So I am unable to test, check or do anything until then, gotta finish my covid quaratine. ;)

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 5
  • t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 5
OP
U

unklebuck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 / 2008
Did the resistor change anything ?
There is also a 15amp fuse in the engine bay fuse box that controls turbo/swirl flap motor/back pressure sensor , might be number 47 ? (I’ll check )
Edit , it’s 44 on my om642
I will check that also tuesday, thanks for the reminder Wighty ;)

OP
U

unklebuck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 / 2008
This was the old turbo, it had definately had its day, the vanes were very sticky in the holes their shafts go through the vane plate. There was also damge to the front impellar.

I got a great deal on the new turbo, I did consider just getting a new core and servicing it however the deal on the new turbo was too good to turn down.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    478 KB · Views: 6
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    818.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 6
OP
U

unklebuck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 / 2008
well i have now tried everything and the car is still going into p0299 erro and sometimes the engine management light comes on, I have to plug in the obd and delete it and its fine again.

I am ready to give in on this,

So far!!:

new turbo
new exhaust back pressure sensor
new egr valve seal
new camshaft sensor
new Maf batwing
all new Mercedes gaskets for turbo
all new bolts from mercedes for turbo
10 litres of genuine mercedes oil and filter and seal kit done for new turbo from mercedes
new crankcase breather diaphram pipe complete from mercedes
new aircon pump
new serpentine belt
new pullies

recently had smoke pressure test ( which found no leak and the pressure was constant)

The new turbo is going to go back to essex turbos for inspection and I will have to take the cost on that.
when the new turbo was fitted the oil was changed, fuel pump relay removed, engine cranked to put oil into turbo 6 times then fuel relay re fitted.

First drive of car very careful, then once warmed up, foot down, and hey presto p0299 and limp mode.

Regardless of what i do, I have tried the resistor trick and i pulled the number 44 fuse to check it and it was fine the car goes into limp mode with the p0299 turbo error.

Never had a car be such a pain in the fkn ass.

The only thing I didnt do was remove the exhaust intake manifolds, perhaps they are completely blocked up I dont know, perhaps I need to do that and strip them off, knowing my luck they are full of carbon build up and thats the issue.

To top it off the wire on the window lift on the drivers side just broke on me, luckily i have a new one here already and spare parts, so now i have to sort that out tomorrow as well.

Still, look on the bright side!!

OP
U

unklebuck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 / 2008
I just ordered the crankcase seal cover that the breather bolts to from mercedes A6420100131
as i didnt change that out before and meant too. I am leaning more to pulling the whole lot off and checking it all over this weekend. See how i feel in the morning when i wake up, if its sunny and warm then teardown it is.

Top Bottom