need the truth about fuel

demetris

Reaction score
is the supermarket stuff really worse than the stuff from the 'established' fuel companies?

mjtray

Reaction score
Supermarket fuel

Sad to say that Supermarket fuel is pretty awful stuff, with little in the way of addatives.

I really noticed how bad it was when I used to put it in my motorbike....I used to get bad flat spots and a lot of crud used to build up in the injectors.

I have also noticed its not as good in my E280 compared to Shell, BP or Texaco.

At the end of the day its a personal choice I suppose.

Cheers

Martin

OP
D

demetris

Reaction score
thankx

thanks for that, FINA/TOTAL any good?

jaymanek

Reaction score
Website
www.mercland.com
Hi All,

My family own a petrol station in the midlands. From experience - In most cars, there will be no noticeable difference.

The petrol all comes from the same hole in the ground. Then companies like Texaco will add their own additives. We were once a Texaco branded station and when they brought out their "cleansystem3" there was quite a bit of hype and indeed was proven to beat any other, but really how much difference it made, was up to you to make your mind up.

Most major Brands will put some additive in. But from my experience, I have never ever noticed any difference (between the big names).

All said, I do tend to stay away from supermarkets. They have ridiculously low prices. Sometimes its cheaper for my family to buy from supermarkets than it costs my dad to buy!

We often wonder how they afford to sell at those prices; i guess its because they put no, or low quality, additives after the fuel comes out of the ground.

Peter 300TE

Reaction score
umm additives

Was it not Shell who after years of research put additives in their petrol that made Vauxhalls blow up? Not a bad thing some may say however who can you trust.

Esso used to run a research centre in Oxfordshire and I worked for a company that used to run their cars (first drive of MB and decision to buy one eventually) they ran a whole fleet of over 50 vehicles (UK, European and US spec) all running with different additives and for hundreds of thousands of miles. I cannot say I ever noticed the differece in any of them.

heckflosse

Reaction score
I haven't noticed any performance differences but my E220 returns around 28mpg using Shell, where with ASDAs it only returns 25mpg at most.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom