New 4x4 Advice: GLE

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
I know not overly popular on here, but keen to hear thoughts from any GLE owners or other who may have had them.

Currently have GLC but need more room! Really love the look of the new GLE but seems you need to stump up 50k to get one with the V6 engine...

Thinking about going for something like a 66 plate 350d for a year or two to get is by and then perhaps upgrade to the new shape...does that sound like a sensible plan? Or should I just go with it now, knowing much of my hard earned will go in depreciation!

Other things I am considering: maybe go for the smaller engine new shape which can be had at c. 44k. But you then also lose air suspension...i know this engine as had it in e Class, lovely engine but not sure it will suit such a big car...

Any advice welcome!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I know not overly popular on here, but keen to hear thoughts from any GLE owners or other who may have had them.

Currently have GLC but need more room! Really love the look of the new GLE but seems you need to stump up 50k to get one with the V6 engine...

Thinking about going for something like a 66 plate 350d for a year or two to get is by and then perhaps upgrade to the new shape...does that sound like a sensible plan? Or should I just go with it now, knowing much of my hard earned will go in depreciation!

Other things I am considering: maybe go for the smaller engine new shape which can be had at c. 44k. But you then also lose air suspension...i know this engine as had it in e Class, lovely engine but not sure it will suit such a big car...

Any advice welcome!

GLE 63S 65 plate on 67k miles for a smidge under £40k?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202002287842648

OP
T

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
GLE 63S 65 plate on 67k miles for a smidge under £40k?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202002287842648
Erm. No. Not quite what I was looking for...unfortunately my sports car days are over and couldn't think of anything worse than chucking a large and heavy 4x4 merc around a bend!

That is also the old shape and starting to look dated, hence my reluctance to spend 30k on one let alone 40k!

Thank you for the link nonetheless, in times gone by, I may have been considering something more adventurous such as this.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Erm. No. Not quite what I was looking for...unfortunately my sports car days are over and couldn't think of anything worse than chucking a large and heavy 4x4 merc around a bend!

That is also the old shape and starting to look dated, hence my reluctance to spend 30k on one let alone 40k!

Thank you for the link nonetheless, in times gone by, I may have been considering something more adventurous such as this.
Ah well. I’d choose a better engine, options and trim package over model year any day. For a big old lump like a GLE, I’d especially avoid a 4 pot engine just on general principles..!

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Unsure if there are any current model GLE owners on here.

Us other owners have proper V6 diseasel versions, fully loaded, that we use as tugs.

badger_wazzala

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 AMG
Doubt a GLE63 would feel huge and heavy through bends, and you've certainly got enough torque to power through and out.
I had a 335d Msport for a couple of years and the power is very linear with great economy if that's of interest. Merc interior is far nicer than the beemers and of higher quality.

OP
T

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
Unsure if there are any current model GLE owners on here.

Us other owners have proper V6 diseasel versions, fully loaded, that we use as tugs.
What is the spec and year on yours sir? How do you get on with it?

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Check out likely costs of all the emissions shxxe screwed on these modern engines they could,will add substantial costs to yr 40 k car .would myself prefer something sans all the crxx save a lot and put a few quid by for dramas related to miles,age

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
:geek::geek:
What is the spec and year on yours sir? How do you get on with it?

Mine is a 2017 GLE350 AMG Line with premium plus pack in Brilliant Blue with proper leather in black/porcelain. Registered just before the mahoosive VED uplift :p

The AMG line is the chromed splitter on the front, and rear. It has running boards, pano roof, ILS, comand, HK sound system, lane assist, distance pilot plus, adaptive cruise control, 360 camera, electric deployed tow ba, blind spot assist. It even makes coffee, using linguatronic to call MrsP en route home to have the beverage waiting :geek::rolleyes::D

As it's not a proper AMG it is debadged, to save me being pilloried by the puritans on here :D. Although it has AMG on the wheels and carpets that when meeting said puritans I cover with post it notes.
:geek::rolleyes::eek::cool:

It's a 2.3 tonne brick bought as a tug. However when solo it handles surprisingly well on twisty roads, more than easily keeps up with traffic. The air suspension gives it the waft ability akin to my previous S350.

I use the toys (driver aids) all the time. Happily lose the race to a stop events, as it's a comfort thing these days.

Huge load carrying capacity.

Deals with snowmaggedon with easy being 4matic.

It's a keeper so will do stellar miles.

eman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
21 EQC 400 Premium Plus
I have a yr 17 66 plate GLE350 premium plus (white)with night package. (29000 miles)It will be going back in December as my pcp comes to an end. And guess what I am in negative equity if i was to pay the balloon figure of 25k to keep the car Mercedes say the trade in is only 23.5k. Thats from 2 different dealers. Anyway rant over back to the car. It’s a nice place to be in and my first with airmatic. Just last week I got a new washing machine in the back with seats down with plenty of room left.Even with 4matic it suffers from the Mercedes curse of worn outer edges of the front tyres and at £240 a pop (21 in wheels). I’ve looked into the new shape and the new 2.0lt 300d is only 20 bhp less than my 3.0 lt v6. I had an ML 350 Yr15 before this (acid tuned) that was also great just The older model in looks. I went big because I’m 6’6 and it’s easier to get in and out. Having come out of an E class cabriolet. Hence my forum name. To low and massive doors had to watch where I parked. If you want to ask anything about the car just let me know and I will answer it the best I can with my own experience.

eman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
21 EQC 400 Premium Plus
Oh and my wife isn’t as big as me :) but loves driving it.

OP
T

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
Check out likely costs of all the emissions shxxe screwed on these modern engines they could,will add substantial costs to yr 40 k car .would myself prefer something sans all the crxx save a lot and put a few quid by for dramas related to miles,age
Sorry no idea what this means, can you explain? Which substantial costs do you refer to?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry no idea what this means, can you explain? Which substantial costs do you refer to?
That it is likely that diesels will become more heavily penalised in future years.

OP
T

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
Thank you key and eman...

Just what I am looking at if I settle on the 166...

Want it to be 66 reg onwards so i get the Android auto built in. Funny that 16 reg on have apple but not android, meaning it would need a trip to comandonline to enable the android...

5 years ago i did have a 62 reg ML 350...i am guessing the 2016 GLE will be similar but the airmatic should improve the ride...and the spec is very decent on these. I will definitely need premium to ensure have memory and pan roof.

Going to take a look at those new shape links now. Just fear the huge amount of money I will lose and the comfort level may not be double as good surely!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Nox sensor failure and ££££ cost, AdBlue system failure and ££££ cost to name just 2

OP
T

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
Top Bottom