New 7 Speed Automatic Box A Bit Clunky

assad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220/2014/Diesel
Hi Lads I wonder if any one else has found this or knows of a fix.
I bought CLS about a month ago and I have noticed the 7 speed box a bit clunky.
What I mean by this is when you select drive you feel the car engage with a bit of a jerk.
Also when driving normally in either the C or S program the gear change seems to be a bit late for example normally the gear changes around the 2000-2500 rpm mark but on odd occasions seems to stay in a lower gear untill it goes past 3000 rpm and I'm not really acelerating hard, you would think it would change earlier for a smoother ride, this only happens on odd occasions. I would understand it changing slightly latter if you are driving with a slightly heaver foot or if you are going to overtake it would change gear at a higher rpm but this happens when you are driving normally/steady pulling away.
I think it is between 3rd and 4th gear not 100% sure.
If any one else has found this or knows of a fix please let me know.
Regards
Assad

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
the 7 g box, when cold, will hold onto the gears a bit longer to let the engine warm up quicker. or so my handbook says.

And i get a bit of a kick in some changes, but it is normally at the point where it has an option of 2 gears, such as when you are crawling and its in 3rd but just drops to second the moment you ask for throttle.

does it thump thru gears when using the tip function?

in C it should change up earlier but i have noticed that when decending hills it does hold onto the gear for engine braking.

might not be a bad idea to call in to a dealer and have them check out the gearbox and oil level in it. just to make sure its right.

blassberg

Reaction score
Small clunks for me very occasionally in S after fast sections changing down approaching lights. Don't have that in C (so I sometimes use that if I have passengers).

I dont see it as a problem. I think I read there is a firmware upgrade available but I wasn't fussed enough to investigate.

No other issues.

RJR28/12

Reaction score
gearchange needs readapting (resetting the filling times of various brake bands) this will be done by the dealer under warranty.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom