New A Class oil usage

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
I'd be prepared to grudgingly accept 1 litre per 1000 miles but 1 litre per 1000kms is a bit much.
Even RX8s don't use that much!

maybe the design is such that oil changes are no longer required in 12 odd k miles u have changed it anyway ! My W168 is at 140,000 and to date i never need to top it between changes .tho its an annual job in spring. so prob less than 10k miles !!!

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
I think sadly this is within spec and you have unfortunatelay a car that uses oil. Its in the manual somewhere that one can expect so much oil usage per xyz miles(Km). Certainly not ideal as one doesnt need to check oil and top us as often as you do. How much are you topping up per 1000km.
Sadly mercedes have never been one for making small engines, hence the collaboration with renault. French engineering - no thanks!

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Robert.... I am having exactly the same experience in my new C300. One litre of oil every thousand miles, dealer showing total lack of interest, grudgingly admit "it is within spec". Can you imagine a salesman saying "these new engines drink oil like it's going out of fashion. Keep an eye on the level and be prepared to top up regularly"?
Bad for the environment, expensive, extremely inconvenient. And is all that burnt oil passing through cat. convertor and PPF likely to cause damage

You dont need to do an anual change at that rate, but that is an expensive use of oil!

GlosRichCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 W177 A180 SE auto, 2012 W212 E350 CDi Sport saloon, 2001 CLK 230 K Cabriolet A208
Late reply on this one, but my Wife has had an W177 A180 petrol with the 1.3 Mercedes/Renault Turbo petrol engine for the last year or so.

She only does about 6k miles a year, but we've not had any excessive oil consumption problems.

I check it every month on the dashboard gauage as there isnt a physical dipstick. 2 months before the 1st service it showed about a 10th down from max, but as the service was due I didnt top it up.

Since the service it shows as full.

I think the OP was getting confused with what the acceptable oil consumption could be and what the reality might be. Many manufacturers say up to 1L can be used every 1000kms, but that doesnt mean it will, it is down to how the car is used.

Sytner where our car is from offer free oil top ups between services, up to about 1L I believe so that helps if your A class becomes an 'Exxon Valdez'....

I wasn't too convinced about buying a Merc with a Renault engine and tried to get her to get something reliable and Japanese instead, but she loves the look and image of the A class, and I'm sure like a lot of owners doesnt appreciate its not a real Mercedes, like the old days...

The only issue we have had is on collection one of the rear trailing arm plastic guards was hanging down and rubbing inside the rear wheel, causing a rubbing noise. It was a quick fix, just clipped back in place, but a bit annoying it wasnt spotted on the PDi.

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
My brother recently got an engine rebuild by Audi on an 8 year old A5 , that was a high oil user , ending up using 1L in 350 miles before the work was completed (all for free !)
What is the level of oil usage after completion of work?

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Late reply on this one, but my Wife has had an W177 A180 petrol with the 1.3 Mercedes/Renault Turbo petrol engine for the last year or so.

She only does about 6k miles a year, but we've not had any excessive oil consumption problems.

I check it every month on the dashboard gauage as there isnt a physical dipstick. 2 months before the 1st service it showed about a 10th down from max, but as the service was due I didnt top it up.

Since the service it shows as full.

I think the OP was getting confused with what the acceptable oil consumption could be and what the reality might be. Many manufacturers say up to 1L can be used every 1000kms, but that doesnt mean it will, it is down to how the car is used.

Sytner where our car is from offer free oil top ups between services, up to about 1L I believe so that helps if your A class becomes an 'Exxon Valdez'....

I wasn't too convinced about buying a Merc with a Renault engine and tried to get her to get something reliable and Japanese instead, but she loves the look and image of the A class, and I'm sure like a lot of owners doesnt appreciate its not a real Mercedes, like the old days...

The only issue we have had is on collection one of the rear trailing arm plastic guards was hanging down and rubbing inside the rear wheel, causing a rubbing noise. It was a quick fix, just clipped back in place, but a bit annoying it wasnt spotted on the PDi.

My Daughter has a face lift A180d, top ups needed between services which I believe are about 6,000 miles.........Zero :)

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom