I like them, Calibre are excellent wheels

OP
N

NeilA

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 K TIP
Aren't they repairable? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Half an hour with a TIG set & then machined back ...... ?

Just asking ;)

Personally and for safety reasons more than anything else, I'd rather not have to worry about a 'fixed' crack in the wheel failing or cracking further....the outcome of such an event isn't even worth thinking about.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Personally and for safety reasons more than anything else, I'd rather not have to worry about a 'fixed' crack in the wheel failing or cracking further....the outcome of such an event isn't even worth thinking about.

Fairy Snuff :)

Matt32AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
From new 2002 SLK32///AMG, 2007 CLK350 AMG Sport Cabriolet sold:-( Porsche RS60 3.4 :-)
How can a wheel cost £1250 :shock::shock: That is what my current 216 and my 230 cost each, the things take a huge amount of balance weights

I know I know Horrible money Malcolm, but then it's like everything I seem to like it always ends up costing that little bit extra. :(

I just happened to like the BRABUS 2pc design, and that is what they cost. That said and done I remember you had AMG split rims on your SL and they cost similar money if I'm not mistaken.

The bottom line is I'd rather the genuine item than pay not bad money for replica items. I'd hate to think of the potential outcome if I was running replicas with the blowout I had last year where the tyre disintegrated suddenly. Imagine if the alloy did the same. It doesn't bare thinking about. :shock:

Chris Murray

Reaction score
Website
www.alloywheelsdirect.net
Your Mercedes
none
I know I know Horrible money Malcolm, but then it's like everything I seem to like it always ends up costing that little bit extra. :(

I just happened to like the BRABUS 2pc design, and that is what they cost. That said and done I remember you had AMG split rims on your SL and they cost similar money if I'm not mistaken.

The bottom line is I'd rather the genuine item than pay not bad money for replica items. I'd hate to think of the potential outcome if I was running replicas with the blowout I had last year where the tyre disintegrated suddenly. Imagine if the alloy did the same. It doesn't bare thinking about. :shock:

Its always better to buy genuine if you supply the part numbers I will check pricing as Mercedes and Brabus have just done there price updates.

Thank you Simon

Matt32AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
From new 2002 SLK32///AMG, 2007 CLK350 AMG Sport Cabriolet sold:-( Porsche RS60 3.4 :-)
It is what the likes of BRABUS think they can get away with the maintain brand exclusivity, utterly ridiculous pricing IMO.

Even the price of a single OEM Merc wheel is ridiculous considering they cost around £50 to manufacture at most.

My one problem with your post is " It is what the likes of BRABUS think they can get away with the maintain brand exclusivity

BRABUS didn't think, they knew. :( I bought a set you see.

But then you could argue that across the board, exclusivity does cost. Does my Rolex GMT master tell better time than a Casio G shock, or better than my Omega Seamaster?

The short answer is no, but then we start talking about automatic self winding watches. Of the three the Rolex keeps the worst time, the Omega with its coaxel movement next and then the Casio brings it home in terms of keeping perfect time

Sure there are more expensive better watches, but these are the ones I like and could afford. And key here is I like them. Would I have a Frank Muller watch no thanks, wouldn't give you a light for one. It's about choice at the end of the day, which is why we drive what we drive and can afford. :)

Last edited:

Matt32AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
HOLY CRAP!!!!!! over £6k for a set of WHEELS???????

i think i will stick with whatever is fitted to my cars! (as the CAR is worth less than those wheels!)

Matt32AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Insanity, you could get a set of 3 piece custom made wheels for £1500 - 2000. OZ 2 piece wheels are only £2000 a set, BBS are £1200.

Ok, but you have to like the look of them surely before you fit them to your car ;)

I'll bet the wheels they have on some of the car shows on TV, like Custom my ride or Overhaulin don't cost that money. Bet they are much more expensive.

Then you have the wheels with spinning centres like they had on one episode of Top Gear, they were fitted to a Cadillac I think. Was it £11,000 ? Mega money.:shock: Worse is I didn't like them.

Matt32AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
HOLY CRAP!!!!!! over £6k for a set of WHEELS???????

i think i will stick with whatever is fitted to my cars! (as the CAR is worth less than those wheels!)

Where is the commitment old chap where is the commitment :cool::lol:

Matt32AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
it disappeared over 3 years ago, along with my employment!

Sorry to hear that Pete, all you can do is keep the faith and keep plugging away. I wish you well in securing something soon. ;)

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry to hear that Pete, all you can do is keep the faith and keep plugging away. I wish you well in securing something soon. ;)

well ive sent over 2k applications so far. no news so far, but hoping something is on the horizon!

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Just seen this we offer a 10% discount on Mercedes wheels to all members and can offer 15% on all Brabus wheels for members.

So for example on the wheels TV posted you can discount by £997.50!!!!!!!

OP
N

NeilA

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 K TIP

Are 'replicas' (are you referring to aftermarket products?) any less quality than genuine parts as this is what you seem to be suggesting?
I think the cracks in my original MB wheels prove that nothing is fail safe.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
But then you could argue that across the board, exclusivity does cost. Does my Rolex GMT master tell better time than a Casio G shock, or better than my Omega Seamaster?

In my experience and having 2x Seamasters, Constallation, Rado, Casio £10 (for adventuring) there is little to tell.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
replicas are, i believe, much heavier than genuine wheels, reducing the benefit (apart from looks) gained by them. the idea of them is to reduce the cars 'unsprung weight' as far as possible.

of course, this weight saving may be the reason that they crack, as to save weight, lighter materials and/or thinner materials must be used

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Its always better to buy genuine if you supply the part numbers I will check pricing as Mercedes and Brabus have just done there price updates.

You actually posted this on a thread that was started due to OEM wheels failing - how would it be better to replace like for like on a product that cracks (please don't go on about quality, they are TUV / KBA standard but so are many aftermarket wheels that will do the job just as well but for 1/4 the price).

Tell me who actually makes OEM MB / BRABUS / AMG wheels now, IIRC it used to be the likes of Ronal, Rondell or OZ or whoever could do it the cheapest at the time?

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Are 'replicas' (are you referring to aftermarket products?) any less quality than genuine parts as this is what you seem to be suggesting?

Replicas are a wheel that is essentially a copy of the original. All you need to check is the quality stamp on the wheels and box so for German cars KBA or TUV approval is needed

I think the cracks in my original MB wheels prove that nothing is fail safe.

This is the point, if an OEM wheel cracks and everyone is blathering on about their quality and how they are better and you MUST use original parts then where does it leave you????

MB do not make any wheels themselves, they are outsourced to whoever can do it the cheapest, all they do is send the design to the manufacturer and a price of what they want to pay (usually around £50 per wheel).

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom