New alloys - swap TPMS or buy new?

Manc Rick

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E220 Premium +, 2017 with OM654.
Hi guys, I’m about to press the button on some new alloys and will be asking the tyre shop to swap the tyres over (my tyres are all quite new Goodyear). I have read that often the TPMS will break when swapping over - is this true?

Assuming so, any idea where I will get 4 new ones that will work? Plenty online but I assume they have to be genuine Mb in order for them to be recognised?

Thanks and Merry Christmas to one and all

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Are you sure it uses valve sensors for this?
Some systems use the ABS sensor. A flatter wheel will have more revolutions so assumed to be less pressure.

Woodleigh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S213 - AMG E 53 - 4MATIC - Premium Plus - Night Edition - Mild Hybrid Estate.
Plenty online but I assume they have to be genuine Mb in order for them to be recognised?
I bought genuine Merc TPMS ones from the main dealer; however, I understand you can use aftermarket ones so long as they are calibrated correctly.

cliff61

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250d 4-Matic Premium Plus Sport 2017
I bought genuine Merc TPMS ones from the main dealer; however, I understand you can use aftermarket ones so long as they are calibrated correctly.
Did they work OK on your car straight out the bag?
I've heard that the car needs to go to MCB to get the new TPMS sensors recognised by the car.

I had problems back in 2014 with a brand new Volvo with winter & summer wheels, each was fitted with the TPMS sensors and each time the wheels were exchanged it had to go to Volvo for setting up as the car would only talk to one set of TPMS sensors. Ive been told Volvo abandoned TPMS sensors in 2018 and went for the simpler system (a flatter tyre performs more revolutions).

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
would it not be such me easier if people could maintain cars and check the tyre pressures manually every few weeks than have these useless costly gimmicks.

Rant over

FiveAlive

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E350CDI
would it not be such me easier if people could maintain cars and check the tyre pressures manually every few weeks than have these useless costly gimmicks.

Rant over
I check my tyre pressures by hand.... but I also find it reassuring two hours into a long journey to be able to see that the tyre pressures are all still correct and I haven't picked up a slow puncture. Plus, when I had the tyre pressure warning come on due to a failing tyre as I was driving along the M1 it was very handy to be able to see the current pressure on the dashboard and conclude that I could nurse it to the next exit rather than stop on the hard shoulder.

So they're not useless gimmicks to me. As for cost: my car is almost 11 years old and still on the original TPMS sensors. A complete set of new branded aftermarket ones would be about the same price as a tank of fuel, so they're hardly expensive.

rifiki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK W209 W121190B
I forgot about TPMS when I changed the wheels on my CLK. I don't miss it and is one less gimmick to go wrong.
If the pressure drops to about 15PSI ABS will light up as it did with puncture.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
My friend with a wheels shop usually swaps them over

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
I forgot about TPMS when I changed the wheels on my CLK. I don't miss it and is one less gimmick to go wrong.
If the pressure drops to about 15PSI ABS will light up as it did with puncture.
Along with a nice warning on the dash saying Tpms inoperative ?

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
Aftermarket are fine, most tyre places carry them in stock and can code to your car. I bought aftermarket wheels with winter tyres over 2 yrs ago from my local and he supplied/ programmed them to the CLS.

Woodleigh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just bought a new set of Conti summer tyres so will be replacing the TPMS valve (6 parts) stems from Mercs, even comes with a new dust cap.

IMG_0938.JPG

Qwertycls

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS250
I’ve been warned many times that my TPMS might break being changed over, but it hasn’t happened yet. I’ll deal with it when it does!

Woodleigh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
out of interest how much did they cost from MB. They are also available from
alloy wheels direct.
Think I paid about 20 quid each.

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
Alloy wheels direct £100 a set.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom