New boy on the block.

Petroloss

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2018 SL400 AMG Line Premium
Hi all. I’m Mike and I live in North Yorkshire, England. Not sure if I’m posting this in the correct place so please excuse me while I get into the right gear. I recently bought a 2018 SL400 AMG Line Premium, with Harman Karon hifi. There was no user manual with the car and the main car manual doesn’t offer a lot of help for this system. Any ideas where I can get a free user manual please.
looking forward to sharing all my car experiences with you in the future. The car is really great and the most important thing is that my wife loves it too. That’s a first!!
Thanks for any help anyone can give. Also please direct me to the right part of the forum if I’m starting off in the wrong place.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi Mike, welcome to the forum :)

axelcls

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes w218 CLS63 AMG now gone, RR Velar
Hi and welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Welcome Mike, I have a 2016 SL with Harmon Kardon stereo, similar to yours. Is there something you particularly want to know ? It all seemed pretty intuitive to me. I have managed to get the bluetooth working, and the CD and DVD player works OK, and I have tuned in the radio OK. Let us know if you are stuck, there are plenty of knowledgable owners on here.

OP
P

Petroloss

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for all the welcome messages. I’ve set the system up as far as my intuition goes. I just thought I might be missing something which might just give it that bit extra. Hence the idea of sighting the manual. The previous owner didn’t look like he had bothered as all the settings were at zero, which I assume is factory settings. So I’m guessing he didnt keep any manual. Thanks SL55 Mark. All seems to be working ok. Maybe I was expecting too much from it. I had Burmester before and it certainly sounded superior to me.
Anyway very happy to join you knowledgeable guys. Happy motoring.

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Welcome from a fellow SL R231 owner.

With the Harmon Kardon make sure Logic 7 is turned on, you can adhust base & treble individually for each music source.

When using bluetooth make sure you have the best settings on your phone first and set phone aux volume to max. This way when you crank up the 600 watts with the roof down the whole neighbourhood can party with you ;-).
3a0ea2ddc2eebbb33eb9071d41968244.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Welcome. Mercedes do a Guides app, which you can download from the usual places, and you can then select your model and date for an electronic version of the manual. Not sure whether it would go down to HK level though

OP
P

Petroloss

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanksfor all your advice on the HK system. Seems to be set up now and sounds great.
I have another problem someone may have come across before. When I was looking around for a suitable SL400 with a decent spec, I noticed several cars had a similar problem. The luggage cover guide lugs at the side didn’t always hit and depress the actuator switches. If this didn’t happen the roof wouldn’t lower and meant having to get out of the car, open the boot and physically pull the luggage cover the extra half inch into place to depress the actuator switches on each side.
Has anyone else had this problem as I’m now getting this with my car?
I’ve thought there might be some sort of adjustment to make sure the luggage cover comes down fully into place. The other possibility I haven’t yet tried is to put some sort of sleeve over the lugs to increase their diameter which might then get them to hit the actuator switches fully.
Any ideas guys will be welcome.
Apart from this minor issue, the car is absolutely fantastic. The AMG exhaust on startup is orgasmic!! From a six cylinder!! Can’t imagine the V8 would sound much better, but I’m sure you SL500 guys will put me right on that!
On top of all this my wife loves it too and as the roof down doesn’t mess her hair up, she likes the roof down as much as possible. That’s a WIN!!

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
The AMG exhaust on startup is orgasmic!! From a six cylinder!! Can’t imagine the V8 would sound much better, but I’m sure you SL500 guys will put me right on that!
I thought the same about my six cylinder - until I went to Beaulieu yesterday and heard all the V8s :(

OP
P

Petroloss

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I thought the same about my six cylinder - until I went to Beaulieu yesterday and heard all the V8s :(
Ok I’ve got to admit I’ve never heard the V8 ,but had read the comparison in one of the reviews. They said the V6 sounded better. I’ll obviously have to check it out for myself.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Ok I’ve got to admit I’ve never heard the V8 ,but had read the comparison in one of the reviews. They said the V6 sounded better. I’ll obviously have to check it out for myself.
The V6 is more subtle and grown up!

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
The luggage cover guide lugs at the side didn’t always hit and depress the actuator switches. If this didn’t happen the roof wouldn’t lower and meant having to get out of the car, open the boot and physically pull the luggage cover the extra half inch into place to depress the actuator switches on each side.
Has anyone else had this problem as I’m now getting this with my car?
I’ve thought there might be some sort of adjustment to make sure the luggage cover comes down fully into place. The other possibility I haven’t yet tried is to put some sort of sleeve over the lugs to increase their diameter which might then get them to hit the actuator switches fully.
Any ideas guys will be welcome.
I'm finding it really hard to visualise what is the problem. Mine just sort of fits, no problem. Maybe a photo would help ?

Glad to hear you are enjoying the car and the sound it makes. The V8 sounds good too.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom