New garage door needed - your thoughts please - Canopy vs Retractable

MinionBob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Viano - 2012 - OM651 Engine - 2.2
Ok, new garage door needed - I have decided on an up and over style.

Up and overs come in two variations..

1) Canopy Door - NO horizontal tracks inside the garage, the door instead runs on vertical tracks in the frame and a torsional spring overhead helps counterbalance the door.

2) Retractable - Horizontal tracks inside garage; vertical springs next to the door frame. Arms connect the door to the spring.

I have only ever had garages with retractable doors, but the tracks in the garage are a real pain - always in the way. I have only ever used very old canopy doors and they opened awkwardly and badly, constantly wanting to twist.

Does anyone have a new-ish retractable door and what so they think of it, or comments on canopy vs retractable in general?

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
Mine's similar to the one above though I don't think it's the same manufacturer. I bought it from a company I found online though no longer have any details for them.. They had it delivered, fitted and cleaned up in half a day.

It's simple to operate, takes up virtually no space inside and is flush fitting at the sides. It's insulated PVC and is quiet in operation (though not silent) as opposed to the metal ones which are available. It's been in place now since 2007 when I built the garage and has only let me down once due to a fault in the receiver which was quickly identified and remedied. It did let a bit of water in at the base though this was sorted with the drain shown in the pictures. The car-port has also helped to completely eliminate this.

I need the space inside as the Merc pictured is on a lift so goes up to the ceiling. Any internal doors or rails would prohibit this, hence the reason for the roller shutter.

A couple of pictures for clarity: -

Outside, shut and opened: -

Outside closed.jpg

Outside open.jpg

From the inside showing the space needed for the door (I must give it a coat of paint inside there :(): -

Inside to out.jpg

As you can see, it's fitted with an internal handle for emergency opening which I can get to via another door. For buildings with no alternative access there is an emergency winder available which fits through the wall I understand.

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
+1 for a roller door electrically operated with 2 remotes - 1 in the car, 1 in the house. When I built my garage at the old house (26ft deep, 20ft wide and 16ft opening at the front) the roller door installed was cheaper than an up and over manual (not electric) delivered! This house I only have a small single garage with heavy wooden doors, I've been tempted to change to a roller especially when I see adverts saying it would cost £900 installed!

Reactions: DSK

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
The roller shutter can be fitted externally as mine is:

Attachments

• IMG_0961.jpeg
    IMG_0961.jpeg
    244.9 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: DSK

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Thanks for this one of my 40 year old up & over garage doors is on its last legs, very useful.

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Roller door here, electric made to fit 4 car garage, I adapted it from remote only to Alexa, IFTT (Android Auto) compatible using a Meross adapter so can open from mobile phone or Alexa or even my Samsung Tag.

Supplier is local in Tollesbury Essex, if you are in this area can send details...
18324d9f15cf3c168ba39bc76a4e8d7c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
I just but the sectional motorised up and along ceiling jobs. I have to cut one panel down buy about 15mm to get it in and I watch for the promotions here last one was 200 euro. It was gand 2 remotes no ever any issue.
Footnote near no house here in France takes a std door without alteration. Unless it's shutter type. Don't ask why.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
The roller shutter can be fitted externally as mine is:

If fitted externally would they make it water tight?

That seems ideal for me next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alps

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 E63s S213, SOLD - 2013 Weistec E63 AMG, SOLD - 2004 E55 (x2)
research the company well!

I had an Alugard roller door fitted, fitters were like the chuckle brothers, one even had his leg in a cast and was climbing ladders! the door was fitted , but they had dented it in a few places and also put a different controller to what I had asked for. After 6 months of hassling them, they finally replaced the door and installed the proper controller. a few days later the door stopped working, promises of revisiting dwindled to not even accepting my calls. in the end I contacted Alugard who put me in touch with another installer who kindly talked me through troubleshooting, send out a new sensor and again talked me through reconfiguring it all again, been fine since!

The original company is since bankrupt.

Read the reviews on the firm before committing. Hope that helps

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
I went for Hormann sectional doors some years ago. They do have the horizontal tracks in the garage but I am very pleased with them
View recent photos.png

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
So do sectional.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Something on my to-do list as well.

Anyone any comments on wind ?

I am quite exposed and notice the house next door makes quite a racket in the wind.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Mine are the Hormann insulated rollers, no wind noise and keeps the cold out.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Something on my to-do list as well.

Anyone any comments on wind ?

I am quite exposed and notice the house next door makes quite a racket in the wind.

I fitted brush seals to mine to stop wind ingress (very effective), the house is quite exposed and probably at the highest point in the village.
I bought the brush strips and sectional aluminium (for mounting) separately from third party suppliers.
I did mention this to the fitting company I thought they might be interested in offering this but didn’t show any interest - their loss -
It’s all about cost with them there is a lot of competition out there.

Attachments

• IMG_0999.jpeg
    IMG_0999.jpeg
    116.6 KB · Views: 16

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Thanks for that, the next-door garage resonates like a reed in the wind making a distinctive wailing noise.

We are very exposed, I was wondering what they use on ships, to keep the wind out, I keep forgetting to ask.

I will be ordering a door soon.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1/4 plate!

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Do I have to weld it shut?

Sorted, smaller car needed,

1702923558441.png

drivencrazy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203/2003/2.7L
Canopy door - I have had mine for 25 years and it still works OK. Once the door has been lifted up, the door projects outwards a couple of feet, giving some protection against rain for anything stacked just inside the door. However, there are gaps small enough for mice to sneak in.

If I was installing a door now, I would use the roller door as advertised in the press. They look a tight fit around the edges and appear to keep out leaves, wind and dampness better.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom