New member from Stoke on Trent staffs

gavstoke

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl600 r230
Hello,
Recently joined but have owned my r230 SL600 for around 8 years I think!
Today I started the DIY boot seal job and will try and post pics if I can figure out how to!
The car boot has leaked since I bought it but, as it's always garaged, it's never been a big problem.
recently decided to spend some £££ and time sorting a few minor issues.......and also some quite major issues.. in some respects!
So far with the boot seal job I have removed the rubber seal and cleaned it up ready for reinstallation. The metal skirt below the window it sticks too was rusty in places so has been cleaned with a grinder and sanding wheel, treated with rust treatment and is now waiting for primer and paint.
Some work done so far:
New coil packs
New plugs x 24!
3 out of the 4 abc struts replaced (with arnott remanufactured units) - the final one is leaking so will need doing for MOT soon. I originally replaced the two rears and imported them from Arnott in the USA, this is prior to them having a euro dealer network I think, one of them developed a leak after about 4 or 5 years, I contacted them and they asked me to send it to their euro dealer(in netherlands I think) they confirmed it was a warranty claim and replaced it - worthy of a mention I think! I actually paid for another one ( at a reduced cost) and they sent return labels for me to send the original back in the packaging the new one came in. I was very happy with the process. They even bought the original core units off me - that I didn't bother sending back to USA the first time around.

Various vacuum pipes in the engine bay - I'm lucky to have a mechanic friend that helps with it, when he can find time!
ABC pipe replaced after it burst - what a nightmare!
Replaced 2 x headlight units - one was working intermittently so replaced it, that made the other one look rubbish! so replaced that one too!
Wheels (std) refurbished by excellent local company.
Rear arches treated with rust treatment and repainted, then after 5 years when it started to come back through, sand blasted, new sections welded in and then repainted again!

Things still to do:
Centre console lid needs fixing - currently only the lower section is accessible(I had to screw them together but that works fine for me at the moment)
Exhaust - considering removing the rear silencers for a little more throaty note( like on start-up when the waste gates are fully open briefly), but made my mind up yet!
Seats could benefit from a re-trim.

Think that's it for now!

Cheers,
Gav

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
Welcome Gav, that's quite a list of work. I hope you get to drive and enjoy it sometimes.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Hi and welcome. Awesome car you have there (another member here has one which I would dearly love but it's out of my reach).

OP
G

gavstoke

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl600 r230
Thanks Guys,
Not had much chance to use it recently with the few issues and waiting for my mate to find time to look at it for me.
As you can imagine, it's been frustrating! I usually use it every weekend but not putting many miles on it! My mrs doesn't actually like the top down - queue sarky comments! and I must say that I do prefer the look of it with the roof on myself!
Forgot to mention that I got the coil packs from the USA too, will check what the name of the firm was but it's V12 something or other - he was very helpful and a great service offering a big saving on new MB units and offering a similar warranty period in his remanufactured units

Cheers,

Gav

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi Gav, welcome to the forum. Awesome car you have there :)

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
Welcome, Gav. :D

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Hi Gav and welcome to the forum

Binnedit

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 W216
Hi Gav & welcome along

Same neck of the woods as my good self.

Cracking car you have there!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Welcome Gav, a V12 is awesome - pics are easy in this forum, just click on upload a file below and you’re away! I’m not too far from you either, hopefully see you at a meet sometime

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
Welcome, great to see car's getting the care they deserve

carlls

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 cls350 gone 2009 320cdi sports estate
hi and welcome

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom