New owner saying hi

Judwin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180/2013/M274
Hi,
I think I've just purchased my first Merc, and suspect I'm going to need some help to get it into the spec I require. I don't pick it up till next Saturday, but from spending several seconds performing extensive research, I think it's....

C180 2013 (62 plate) S204 C-Class Estate with the petrol M274.910 engine, 6 speed manual gearbox, palladium silver/grey, first registered Feb2013.

My first task will be to give it a full fluid and brakes change before using it as my daily driver. Trouble is, I can't even work out which oil filter it needs. Most petrol S204's seem to use the long thin tube filter(A2711800509), but they're M271 (1.8) engines. This has a 1.6 engine, which I think means it's a M274, but the M274 fitted to S205's use a different filter (A2711800109). I know the easy way to tell would be to pull the old one out of the car for a look-see, but as I said, I don't pick it up till next weekend.

Next issue is the DVLA/VOSA MOT check website says there is an outstanding recall on it. Anyone know what that might be for - it's a petrol so shouldn't be diesel-gate related.

Anyhow, this time next week expect a barrage of questions - some probably daft.

Cheers
Judwin

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
Welcome, Judwin. :)

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi Judwln welcome to to the forum

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Welcome to the forum:)

Get an OEM filter from the dealer using your Reg# or Vin#.
That way you can be sure of getting the correct part.

Enter your full Vin# into this link to find any recall for your car.

OP
J

Judwin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180/2013/M274
Thanks - Haven't got the VIN number yet, but once I have will do as suggested.

Point of order though. What is the form here if I'm going to do a lot of initial work (replace all brake disks & pads, all fluids, possibly some of the interior, spare wheel etc) is it best to start a thread for each in the relevant sections when I hit problems (yes when not if!), or should I just create a "my car" type thread and keep all my questions in that one thread?

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Hello and welcome to the forum and the world of Mercedes. I’m sure one of the Moderators will be along shortly with the guidance you need

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

Misterdog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 (W169) 2010
Next issue is the DVLA/VOSA MOT check website says there is an outstanding recall on it. Anyone know what that might be for - it's a petrol so shouldn't be diesel-gate related.

Hi Judwin and welcome .

Recall is probably airbags.

• Takata airbag​

Affected?
    • Status
      Open
    Your vehicle forms part of this recall. You will receive further details from us, unprompted, about the specific process as soon as the recall campaign begins. Your Mercedes-Benz Service Partner is prepared for the necessary action and will be pleased to answer any questions Further information As a precautionary measure to ensure the safety of its customers, Mercedes-Benz introduced voluntary recalls for Mercedes-Benz vehicles with Takata airbag gas generators in spring 2020. The recalls include the A-Class, C-Class, GLK, E-Class, ML and GL-Class, R-Class, SLK and SLS AMG vehicle models from the production period 2004 – 2016. Recalled vehicles are to have their driver and/or front-passenger airbag replaced by the Mercedes-Benz service organisation.

• How many miles has she/he /other completed ?

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Thanks - Haven't got the VIN number yet, but once I have will do as suggested.

Point of order though. What is the form here if I'm going to do a lot of initial work (replace all brake disks & pads, all fluids, possibly some of the interior, spare wheel etc) is it best to start a thread for each in the relevant sections when I hit problems (yes when not if!), or should I just create a "my car" type thread and keep all my questions in that one thread?

When you finally get sorted with a new thread of you new car, pictures of work in progress is always good, helps others and can guide you too as other forum users can assist especially if you are doing the work yourself and you are not an on spanners person ;)

OP
J

Judwin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180/2013/M274
Ok - I've managed to work out the VIN number from information around the interweb (not very secure is it!) and run the recall checker.

First prize goes to Misterdog - it is indeed the airbag. Your prize is anything I find down the back of the seats when I give it a good clean :)

I've run the VIN through some of the checkers, and its a full on Poverty spec SE Executive - Harahh. Only thing that jumps out as unusual is "R58 - 19" LIGHT ALLOY WHEEL 10-SPOKE DESIGN ALL-ROUND". However R58 in the catalogue appears to be the standard 16" SE wheels, so that's a perhaps a bug in the decoders.

Either way, it ain't got R58's on at the moment, although I don't quite know what it has got. Definatley 16" rims which look like the 17" 6 spoke twin AMG ones, but as far as I can see there isn't a 16" version of these.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Ask the seller to take a pic of the VIN to be sure, its stamped on the B Piller and on the lower winsdcreen to be sure, I am not sure how you can hash the VIN together from the web.

Use the vin to order parts from MB to ensure they are right.

Its best to start a new thread for each issue you have, otherwise your specific question may get missed.

Welcome to the forum, enjoy the ride and do stick around!

OP
J

Judwin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180/2013/M274
Ok, will do. But no way am I going to pre-warn the seller of what I know about their car before I hand over the cash.

The VIN number is easy, because of the methodical way ze Germans allocate them. Plenty of websites that will give you the last 6 or 7 digits of the VIN if you enter the RegNo, which ironically is the bit that would be difficult to guess. The other digits are dependent on car manufacturer, type, factory of manufacture, and in Merc's case LHD or RHD all of which are easy to work out. There is no Year of manufacture in European cars (although that would be easy to work out) and worse, no checksum/random character.

It took me two attempts to guess the characters required to get my build sheet and recall information to come up. Just gotta hope that whoever came up with the system isn't involved with banking:rolleyes:

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom