New paint - Which final wax or product to use?

Royston59

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 CLS 350 CDI AMG Sport & 2014 C220 CDI AMG Sport edition (Wifeys)
Theres just so many good waxes to choose from. The Collinite stuff suonds good but I think Im going to try Dodo Juice Blue velvet or Supernatural first as they are available in small tester sizes, enough to do the car 3 or 4 times.

FWIW, I use pinnacle signature series....good stuff.....:cool:

Darknight

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300td avantguard in purpl/clk in black
I used to stock Maguires, till I found dodo juice, by far the best, detailing a car will take me at first all day, as its be washed about 5 times, clayed,limed, waxed etc, a soft wax can be layered slightly but not to any huge extent, use that not a hard wax as that's meant for a machine.
You will be surprised as a good dodo-ing will make it look better than new.

Darknight

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300td avantguard in purpl/clk in black
Oops sorry forgot, I have a black car so use a purple wax, but today moved on to supernatural, its brilliant, also get a spritz bottle, so in between wax coats of around 3 months itl top up the shine

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
There is baking in a low bake oven at temperature of 60deg for around 40 mins..that is the traditional way of doing it..
Same lacquer but a faster hardner will allow the car to 'Air Dry' for a period of around 8 hrs. at a temp of no lower than -2 degrees..below that paint stops curing..
So yes in winter an air dried car will take longer to cure
We always tell clients who want their cars back same day to keep it inside overnight when the weather is cold and frosty.

Last edited:
OP
S

slippy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes SLK 230k (1997)
I use an orbital machine for compound & polish. I then apply wax by hand, Ive never applied wax by machine....not yet anyway!!

NeilA

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 K TIP
I use AG HD wax then Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer on top after washing.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Erm....that would mean in January - March, when paintwork is susceptible to the worst of conditions....it could take months???

I understood most car paintwork was baked in an oven for the purpose of curing....i have never heard the words...."yea mate keep it warm for a few days and it will be fine"..:D

R

Please do not takes things out of context, I never said the cars came back without being in the oven, if the paint had not been baked it would be soft for days. There is always that final curing, if you had ever done it you would know

OP
S

slippy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes SLK 230k (1997)
Ive just ordered some Dodo juice supernatural hybrid, I'll keep you posted.

OP
S

slippy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes SLK 230k (1997)
The trial size Dodo juice Supernatural arrived this morning so went straight out to tha garage to give it a try. I only did the boot lid.
Bearing in mind it was compounded at the bodyshop with farclea G3 then Ive done it again with Megs Ultimate compound & then Megs Ultimate Polish, I couldnt tell the difference between the side done with Megs NXT & the Dodo juice Supernatural. I sprayed water on it and both beading & run off looked the same. Due to the thunderstorms I couldnt take it outside to check it in the sunshine though. Applying / removing the product is no different either.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think there has to be limits on all this polish ;):D

OP
S

slippy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes SLK 230k (1997)
Well........
Heres the results of a bit of graft, I would have liked to have finished it but my knackerd back wouldn't let me. :mad:

1, Farcela G3 done by bodyshop (DA machine)
2, Meguires Ultimate Compound (Orbital machine)
3, Meguires Ultimate Polish (Orbital Machine)
4, Dodo Juice Supernatural Hybrid (Hand)

SAM_5010-1.jpg

SAM_5052-1.jpg

SAM_5037.jpg

Quite happy with the results, especially the Megs stuff, I think the Dodo juice is very good but expensive. Going to try Megs Ultimate liquid wax next or use the Zymol cleaner wax I just keep sniffing....it smells good enough to drink!

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Nicely done Stu, great depth in that shine.

I think you will like the Megs Ultimate wax but I still feel Colinite 915 edges it for the wet look, not to mention durability.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That is really well done and congratulations, I use a mixture of all the mcquires and Autoglym special canuba wax, I do not think there is much in it with these top notch polishes.

I cannot spell it :D

coventryslk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 CDI Sport
I just got my SLK back from the bodyshop, it had some light swirl marks from the G3 compound they used so over the last week, Ive gone over it with Meguires Ultimate compound which is much milder than the G3 & then Meguires Ultimate polish & topped it off with Meguires NXT wax. It looks fantastic now & I want to keep it like that so is there anything I can use that's going to protect the finish from light scratches, bird poo & road kill (dead flies). Do I just keep putting wax on top of wax & build it up or some other product?

Its the original Dark blue (Linerite) now with extra sparkle!

Thanks
Stu

Cheap simoniz in gold tin or Collinite 476s, they do the job, which is what you want them to do

coventryslk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 CDI Sport
Well........
Heres the results of a bit of graft, I would have liked to have finished it but my knackerd back wouldn't let me. :mad:

1, Farcela G3 done by bodyshop (DA machine)
2, Meguires Ultimate Compound (Orbital machine)
3, Meguires Ultimate Polish (Orbital Machine)
4, Dodo Juice Supernatural Hybrid (Hand)

SAM_5010-1.jpg

SAM_5052-1.jpg

SAM_5037.jpg

Quite happy with the results, especially the Megs stuff, I think the Dodo juice is very good but expensive. Going to try Megs Ultimate liquid wax next or use the Zymol cleaner wax I just keep sniffing....it smells good enough to drink!

Had the same Lazulite blue SLK a good few years ago. Bought off a lady who just ran it through car washes. I used 3M Green, yellow, blue PerfectIt3 stuff and 476s. Finish was like glass. Used a DA polisher and 3M perfect it pads

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom