New post Brexit Number Plate logo

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I need to replace both cars number plates , but I’m not sure on what the best logo is for Euro driving (to avoid an extra GB sticker on the car ) .
Ive done some reading and it sounds like if you have a Union Jack with a GB country identifier this gets round the problem .
Anyone bought a new plate yet ?
1B908F7C-1E9D-434D-89C3-7E7273BBC5EC.jpg

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Number plate stickers for me too. Never liked the badge on the number plate for UK driving so easy to peal off.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I need to replace both cars number plates , but I’m not sure on what the best logo is for Euro driving (to avoid an extra GB sticker on the car ) .
Ive done some reading and it sounds like if you have a Union Jack with a GB country identifier this gets round the problem .
Anyone bought a new plate yet ?
View attachment 66554
1615891464783.png

OP
Wighty

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I’ve got stickers on the CLK , but they won’t come off now and look tattered . The E class plate is cracked so needs changing anyway .
I think @Blobcat ’s plate mock-up is what I’ll end up with if I get confirmation of what is allowed on the continent

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
What does the DVLA site say?

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180

GB stickers and number plates​

You do not need a GB sticker if your number plate includes the GB identifier on its own or with the Union flag (also known as the Union Jack).

You do not need to display a GB sticker to drive in Ireland.

You must display a GB sticker clearly on the rear of your vehicle if your number plate has any of the following:

• a Euro symbol
  • a national flag of England, Scotland or Wales
  • numbers and letters only – no flag or identifier

If you’re in Spain, Cyprus or Malta, you must display a GB sticker no matter what is on your number plate.

OP
Wighty

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What does the DVLA site say?
That’s where I got my info from , as @Oldspanners reports above . I just wanted someone who has done it with the Union flag and GB identifier to confirm that its correct , because as you see in the pics above the two examples are different .

Rob7seven

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2020 AMG C300
I have three sets of plates for my C300, the normal 2020 ones the car came with, and a set that the Dealer supplied on delivery with my poncey 'private', 'personal', 'cherished' etc no-year ones retained from my previous cars. I can't remember our conversation at the time, but he asked what style I wanted, Union flag, County, EU symbol or something else. I thought the Union flag would make me look like a Little Englander or 'Brit', French people might have thrown stones at it, so I suppose I must have opted for the Europe symbol, though I don't remember asking for that, and as soon as I saw them, I realised with a shock what I'd done. The UK had left the EU, but apparently I was such a fan of that useless and corrupt organisation, that I wanted to show my support for what was left of it. I wasn't having that, so I got a third set made, just under £40.00 is what I had to pay for fully legal ones, my short 'personal', poncey etc registration with white space each end, the C Class front bumper fitting means that a shortened plate as I've had on previous cars would look a mess. I think the new full size plates looks really good now, I didn't really want the things to stand out, but that's the effect they have, people have commented on them. Now retired, we've been crossing the Channel two or three times each year on holiday, and I bought this car thinking it would be the most suitable vehicle for comfortable touring, so I'll have to have an acceptable indication of origin of some kind. I'm thinking of a small plain white oval with just GB on it, rear only, the smallest thing that wouldn't upset a Gendarme, Polizei or Carabiniere etc.

That's if we're ever allowed to leave this Country again of course...

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Yes, you’re right (as usual) @Wighty. “GB” and the Union Flag are legal in Europe (except for Spain, Malta and Cyprus apparently). I have bought stick on for mine to go over the GB/EU badge and they look good enough until I need to replace the plates.
D9A00EBE-EA33-497E-8579-56BA30367D6E.jpeg

OP
Wighty

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes, you’re right (as usual) @Wighty. “GB” and the Union Flag are legal in Europe (except for Spain, Malta and Cyprus apparently). I have bought stick on for mine to go over the GB/EU badge and they look good enough until I need to replace the plates.
View attachment 66561
I’ve got some of those slide in number plate holders on order, so when I get the new plates I won’t have to drill them for fixings .
I might just replace the E class cracked plate with no badges on it at all , i think the chance of my non dpf E class diesel going to France with their crit air vignette system is probably remote .
The CLK new plates I an leave for a bit , they just look a Bit tatty with faded old sticker badly overlapping each other .

OP
Wighty

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have three sets of plates for my C300, the normal 2020 ones the car came with, and a set that the Dealer supplied on delivery with my poncey 'private', 'personal', 'cherished' etc no-year ones retained from my previous cars. I can't remember our conversation at the time, but he asked what style I wanted, Union flag, County, EU symbol or something else. I thought the Union flag would make me look like a Little Englander or 'Brit', French people might have thrown stones at it, so I suppose I must have opted for the Europe symbol, though I don't remember asking for that, and as soon as I saw them, I realised with a shock what I'd done. The UK had left the EU, but apparently I was such a fan of that useless and corrupt organisation, that I wanted to show my support for what was left of it. I wasn't having that, so I got a third set made, just under £40.00 is what I had to pay for fully legal ones, my short 'personal', poncey etc registration with white space each end, the C Class front bumper fitting means that a shortened plate as I've had on previous cars would look a mess. I think the new full size plates looks really good now, I didn't really want the things to stand out, but that's the effect they have, people have commented on them. Now retired, we've been crossing the Channel two or three times each year on holiday, and I bought this car thinking it would be the most suitable vehicle for comfortable touring, so I'll have to have an acceptable indication of origin of some kind. I'm thinking of a small plain white oval with just GB on it, rear only, the smallest thing that wouldn't upset a Gendarme, Polizei or Carabiniere etc.

That's if we're ever allowed to leave this Country again of course...
Very funny buddy , you could do “stand up comedy” if you ever need extra cash :) .
I must admit to having a slight concern to the flag on the plate if I’m leaving it for the day , but that’s probably overthinking the situation

OP
Wighty

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Rather than sign up to “what f£&*ing number plate monthly” (it’s easy to overthink things ) , I’m going with plain flat aluminium (who knew that’s an option) to go in my new slide in number plate holders .
The alu plate should bend nicely in the front holder .
No badges or country identifier, I’ll just stick a GB sticker on the back , so in fact a total reversal of my start position:).

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I have done so much reading on number plates I’m now an expert :rolleyes:
plates were often embossed ally in the days of silver/white on black and then there was a resurgence in the the early 80s .... and when plates became yellow and white, we had the separate digits with the pegs on the back that went through the plate and secured with a push-on gripping washer.

I still prefer the smooth perspex glued on rather than drilled

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I’ve got some of those slide in number plate holders on order, so when I get the new plates I won’t have to drill them for fixings .
I might just replace the E class cracked plate with no badges on it at all , i think the chance of my non dpf E class diesel going to France with their crit air vignette system is probably remote .
The CLK new plates I an leave for a bit , they just look a Bit tatty with faded old sticker badly overlapping each other .

How do they work ? Can number plate thieves just slide them out again and the next thing you know you, by your registration number, is linked to some crime or other ?? :rolleyes:

OP
Wighty

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
How do they work ? Can number plate thieves just slide them out again and the next thing you know you, by your registration number, is linked to some crime or other ?? :rolleyes:
I presume they can slide out , I’ve not got them yet . Let’s face it though if someone wants your plates they aren’t going to be put off by screws or sticky pads :) .

chic0821

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 AMG Coupe: Range Rover Sport: 992 Porsche Carrera 4S
Don't think they actually steal your plate. They have the same model of car so just get a new set made with you number on it, then the police are knocking on your door for filling up at a petrol station without paying, speeding or much worse

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom